General Question Heating Pad

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Anybody recommend a puppy/dog heating pad? I bred my girl last week and looking ahead to gather some items. I'm looking for a heating pad when puppies come. I'm looking for ones specially made for pets as human grade ones have timers. I need one with a thermostat and one that runs 24 hours. Any ideas?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I wouldn't use it as the pups may get too hot, they need a way of getting away from the heat if they get too hot. Some people will use a lamp on one side of the whelping pin. We use a round heating disk that you microwave and it stays warm for hours. They can cuddle with it and if they get hot they can get away from it. We bought it online at a pet supply store.

Last edited:

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
I wouldnt use one either. Plus I would be scared that may-be the mother would crew it up. What about a old time water bottle...or was that before your time...lol

OP
Zapien

Zapien

Oct 30, 2012
Zillah, Washington
Bulldog(s) Names
Nihya
Knowing that not enough heat is a leading cause of puppy deaths, i want something that will remain constant. I have the heating disks but unsure if the heat stays constant for several hours. [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], how many hours of heat do you get on disks?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk now Free

traceylynn172

May 23, 2013
Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver ,Maui, Cupcake ,Winter, EEyore, Piglet, Roo and Hana
I use a old sunbeam that doesnt shut off automatically I dont like the auto shut off ones as well. You just have to make sure your welping box is big enough they can move away from it if they need to. I also keep my puppy room pretty warm (75 to 80 degrees) so I use a small portable heater in the room and block off the vents so they dont get drafts. Good Luck :)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
The disk will stay warm for about 4 hours. That's all we have ever used, and have never lost a pup due to being cold. We also leave the room pretty warm, between 75 and 77 deg. F. [MENTION=6606]Zapien[/MENTION]

Most Reactions