Woke up to this

Jill Lampkin

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
Woke up this morning and poor Emma can't catch a break eye is swollen huge that same side of her head is red as well as small itchy bumps all over
enybuhej.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
That looks like she's also been rubbing her head, like to scratch it. Definitely a benedryl to start. It might give her a little relief. Poor baby. I don't have much experience, but I'm sure others will be along who can help.

OP
J

Jill Lampkin

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
No insect bite she has huge hives all over eye is almost swollen shut gave her Benadryl as well as text a picture to my vet for a heads up as they are closed on weekends.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Holy COW!!! My Bella would get bumps that huge (but not bloody) and our vet figured it was some kind of sting or bug bite… I would watch her like a hawk to make sure the hives don't spread, and give her benadryl. I wonder if it's bloody because she was scratching at them?!! Keep us posted!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby, it may still be a bug bite of some sort, or an allergic reaction to something she came into contact with. A few weeks back, Dozer woke up with hives all over his body, he didn't have a any swelling to his eyes, I listened and watched to see if he had any difficulty in breathing, but he didn't. Nothing in his food had changed, so I immediately stopped all treats, extras, and went back to only his kibble. I wanted to determine if he had any allergies to his kibble, so I fed him only kibble for a week, then I slowly added his extras one at a time, like the yogurt first, then after a couple of days the salmon oil. At first I suspected it might be strawberries, although he had them many times before, but they do have a high allergy potential, I added back bananas first, and then the strawberries, and veggies, he had no reaction to any of them. The only other thing that we had do e was we were down at the river, and they had run and rolled in the grass, so it could have been something in the grass, even a pesticide or something the city may have sprayed down there, but I suspect he either got bit by an insect or a wasp in the grass, and I couldn't see any insect bite mark, but he was full of hives, so maybe I missed it. The hives disappeared after 3 days, and I will probably never know 100% what caused them, but by eliminating and then reintroducing the foods, I know what he's not allergic too. I hope Emma feels better soon, Benadryl will give her relief if it is an allergic reaction, and help her nots to itch, which will make them worse, because she could scratch them raw. She may have gotten bit by a spider in the house. If it is an allergic reaction, then it should go away in a couple of days, and if the symptoms don't go away, then I would take her to the vet, so he can see the hives and her eye. It was a great idea to take the pictures to be able to show him. Good luck, and I hope Emma gets better soon, and it's nothing serious, just watch out for swelling of her face, and the other eye, and watch for her breathing, to make sure she not having any difficulties, as this is a sign of a more serious allergic reaction, and she should see a vet right away.

OP
J

Jill Lampkin

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
Vet is meeting us at the clinic. I've had Emma 3-4 months and it's been issue after issue it's been a struggle to pin point what she's not allergic to. I can say all lesson have been hard ones. She's on Fromms puppy when I tried the beef F she broke out in bumps and red spots. So I put her in the puppy. She's been on that for 2 months now. It's just hard to pin point when she never has normal skin to see what's causing a reaction. How have other BD done with Fidh as protein?

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow..definitely think a vet visit is in order..I agree with [MENTION=8824]mavsfan4life[/MENTION] maybe he can get you a weekend visit? Chums head broke out with red bloody sores this summer and he was on antibiotics and some prednisone to clear it up. It was an allergic reaction.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 122

Casper

Apr 28, 2013
Slidell, Louisiana, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
"The Stallone Bros"
Jill, I have two boys who eat a diet of Salmon and Potatoes, and on top of that I use Salmon oil on their food as well. They both woof their breakfast and dinner down amazingly well, Both love the Salmon, and their fur coats are amazingly soft. No reactions here at all.

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Vet is meeting us at the clinic. I've had Emma 3-4 months and it's been issue after issue it's been a struggle to pin point what she's not allergic to. I can say all lesson have been hard ones. She's on Fromms puppy when I tried the beef F she broke out in bumps and red spots. So I put her in the puppy. She's been on that for 2 months now. It's just hard to pin point when she never has normal skin to see what's causing a reaction. How have other BD done with Fidh as protein?

Oh gosh poor girl. I'm glad the vet is meeting you at the clinic. One of the best things I did with Wilson was have him allergy tested so I would know what he's allergic to and what he's not. Emma's going to get tested either this month or next as I just can't figure out her tear stains and food changes and other treatments don't make a difference. I hope you're able to figure what Emma's allergic too. I highly recommend the allergy testing though, it sure eliminates the guessing game and the headaches. Will be thinking of Emma today.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So glad they are meeting you there, keep us posted. You may want to try a limited ingredient diet since Fromm has so many ingredients in it.

OP
J

Jill Lampkin

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
Just back from the vet it's an allergic reaction to something. I hate to switch her from fromms after all the dog food reactions we've had in the past fromms finally got the poop issue straight. However it could be she's reacting to an ingredient in the food. She can't do the beef she is now on the puppy gold just not sure what to try next in that brand

OP
J

Jill Lampkin

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
nanequhe.jpg
on the way to the vet. Redness on the side disappeared so that had to be from itching. However the eye got worse as well as the welts ALL over some little others as big as a quarter

Most Reactions

Members online