Question about vaccinations

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Does anyone know what vaccinations are an absolute must and which ones are most recommended for bulldogs? I'm a new bulldog puppy owner and my boyfriend and I took Hulk to the vet for the first time since we got him today. Based on what the breeder said we thought we were just taking him to have a physical and another distemper shot. When we got there the vet told us we should consider multiple other vaccinations. We have an appointment in two weeks for his rabies vaccination (we knew about that one) and the bordetella vaccination. Help please :-)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
They should also get distemper, parvovirus, hepatitis, and parainfluenza, along with Bordetella and rabies. Make sure the Bordetella is by shot and not nasal, as some bullies get pneumonia from the nasal form.

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks! He got those others vaccinations with the breeder. We brought the records to the vet with us. And thanks for the info about the bordetella because the nasal form was what they wanted to do. Any idea on how many times they need to get the distemper? He's already received 3 distemper shots.

bubs0604

Sep 9, 2012
fairfield ca
Country
U.S.A
Bulldog(s) Names
Armstrong
Do any and all vaccinations the Vet tells you too get. Armstrong, my English bulldog has had all vaccinations and booster shots as we are very active with going to the dog park, beach, etc and these vaccinations protect them against the elements and diseases/infections that can be in these places and that other animals may have. Goodluck with your new baby!!! These dogs are the best and bring so much love onto your life.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
DOG CARE
Annual shots

The first thing you need to do is separate out the parts of what your vet is calling the “annual shots.” Every vet has slightly different recommendations, but the common components are the exam, lab tests, vaccines, and preventative medications. As a consumer you can choose which parts you want to do financially, but medically they all have value.

Exams

The single most important part of the annual is the physical exam. Especially as your dogs get older, there are many conditions that a physical can detect so that you can provide early intervention. If you consider that in average dog years, your dog ages seven years for every year between exams. This is actually a long time between exams, and many vets will recommend an exam every six months, especially for dogs over seven.

Lab Testing

The lab tests are the second most important part of an adult dog’s annual evaluation. Most local labs now provide yearly profiles at a very reasonable price. A blood profile will help to detect certain hidden conditions early enough to prevent serious disease and establish “normals” for future comparison. Even if you live in a part of the country not requiring heartworm testing, the blood workup is a very valuable tool for helping your pets age gracefully. The fecal evaluation is also very important as it can reveal parasites that can be dangerous to your children as well as your dog.

Vaccines

There are many vaccines available for dogs that are usually not very expensive by themselves, although often the exam price is merged with the vaccines which makes them appear more expensive. The most important vaccines across the country are the rabies and DHPP (the distemper and parvo combination). Rabies is required by law in most states, so, unless your vet has a specific medical reason not to, you should get this one. If there is a condition preventing your dog from safely getting vaccines, you can run a “titer”. This is a blood test, which evaluates whether your dog is immune to the rabies virus. This test is expensive and has no legal standing, but it can be helpful in dogs that can not be vaccinated.

Distemper and Parvo are viruses that can be carried into your house on your shoes or other items, so all dogs should be protected. There are vaccines that last one or three years. The choice of which to use is between you and your vet. There are many other canine vaccines including leptospirosis, lymes disease, corona, and giardia. These diseases are only prevalent in certain areas or conditions, and the vaccines are not always extremely effective. Your vet should help you evaluate your dog’s risk and the potential benefits of vaccination for these diseases.

Heartworm prevention

Heartworm prevention is very important in the areas where they are endemic. On average, treating a dog for heartworms costs the same as a lifetime of prevention, so, even though it seems expensive, in the long run it has good value. We talked about fleas in a past column, but, in short, prevention is a lot easier than treatment.

Read more: http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/dog-health/annual-shots#ixzz2k7yuSlvW

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, these are the vaccines that my vet says are necessary to give annually:

distemper, parvovirus, leptovirus, rabies, and Lyme disease. The rabies shot is the only one that is required by law, distemper is usually only picked up in kennels, or when you board your pet, and is usually like a mild flu, but is required only if they are at risk of contracting it, but it is required by most kennels and boarding facilities prior to boarding your pet, leptovirus virus and Lyme disease is necessary if your pet is in danger of being exposed to these two viruses, as both of these are viruses that humans can catch from their pets. Leptovirus is transmitted through the urine of wildlife such as skunks, raccoons, possums, and squirrels, and you can catch this virus from your pet. If a human contracts leptovirus, it can destroy your kidneys, and can be fatal. Lyme disease can also be dangerous to both you and your pet, and is transmitted from deer and their ticks, so if your pet is in contact with wildlife, or in the woods, they should be vaccinated for this.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Ok they get their shots DHPP at 6, 9, 12, 16 weeks of age and annually.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
The "absolute musts" are DHPP and Rabies. DHPP stands for: Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus, and Parainfluenza, these diseases can kill and a few are highly contagious. Rabies is required by law.

Bordetella is an optional vaccine. Usually recommended if bullie's going to be around a lot of other dogs, like a dog park. Also, if you're boarding your pup it's usually required.

The others like Lyme (if you don't live in area that has the specific ticks that carry it, your bullie doesn't need the vaccine) are optional- and depending on where you live, may not be required at all.

Best thing to do is speak with your vet about what other canine diseases are common in your area and go from there.

OP
Sarah Elizabeth

Sarah Elizabeth

Oct 20, 2013
Kentucky
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hulk
Thanks so much everyone for all the good information!! Hulk seems to be on track for his age. Were weren't too impressed with the vet and will be taking him elsewhere for his next appointment. The vet was nice and treated him good (everyone loves him when we take him out) but I was trying to ask questions regarding vaccines but they weren't very helpful. I'm all for vaccines but want to know what he's getting and why :-) Thanks again!!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thanks so much everyone for all the good information!! Hulk seems to be on track for his age. Were weren't too impressed with the vet and will be taking him elsewhere for his next appointment. The vet was nice and treated him good (everyone loves him when we take him out) but I was trying to ask questions regarding vaccines but they weren't very helpful. I'm all for vaccines but want to know what he's getting and why :-) Thanks again!!

Good for you, Sarah~Hulk is a very lucky bully to have you as Mom, GOD bless!

clightfoot

Nov 7, 2013
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pepper Potts
I have to throw in Canine Influenza as well. Its not the same as Parainfluenza and the disease is very icky. I've seen several dogs come down with it and because the virus mutated from an Equine version they have no immunity to it. I will be doing the vaccine every year for Pepper.

I also caution against Lymes, Giardia, and Leptospirosis for dogs. They each have a weak efficacy rate and a high reaction rate. Lepto and Lymes are only necessary if you take pup to tick infested areas or areas with still bodies of water. The giardia vaccine just doesn't freaking work!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.