Banks - update

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hey gang -- just hung up with our vet, Banks was a very good girl and she is doing well

What he found is not a surprise and better than it could have been as he was concerned it might be cancer, but he found a LOT of arthritis in her back/spine and hips. He said he is not surprised now seeing the x-rays why she is being so nasty... he even said he is surprise she can walk. Her one hip basically has no socket and he can't make out one vertebra from the other because they are so fused. He told me if it were any other breed he would be having a very different conversation with me cause the level of pain for her must be off the charts.

The surprise of the day is she has a one inch stone or piece of bone in her belly. UGH! he gave me options and I just told him, she is there do what needs to be done and get it out. So he is going to try to scope it out as he does not want to cut open if not necessary, if the scope is not successful he will have to operate. We talked for awhile about which way to go and I just do not want to wait a few days to see if it passes... i said if it is a piece of bone, which I do not think it is, it has been there since Saturday as that is when she gets he weekly marrow bone. However, none of them are broken or have pieces missing. I am leaning toward a stone as she LOVES to eat dirt and we must have missed her get one in the yard. we were out there all day Saturday last weekend doing fall yard work and she could have gotten into so dirt without us seeing her.

Joe will call me when he is done and she is awake. They are also going to give me a disk with all the x-rays on it.

I'll post another update when i here back later today.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
awwwwww...sweet baby banks. That poor girl. I hope she gets better and stays out of the dirt!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
OMG, poor lil Banks, another breed would be viciously attacking every one
and anything in this much pain, crazy these bullies can bear so much :(

I know the news could be worse, Christine, but I'm so sad and really hate
she may need surgery. I'm getting off now to stay in prayer over her.

I know you are putting a positive spin on this news, probably because of
such bad news going on for so many here but Hun...we know how much
you love your babies...sending hugs of comfort, strength & LOVE.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
WOW! I can see how a stone in her stomach may have made her act that way, poor baby. I pray he is able to scope it out and she will be back to her regular Banksy self.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Praying they don't have to do surgery on her and that her pain lessens. Bless her heart I read somewhere that bullies pain tolerance is very high so the fact that she is enduring more pain than another breed would be able to bare isn't surprising to me. I am praying for you guys!! Sending positive thoughts and hugs your way!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Wow poor girl, no wonder she was cranky. I hope he can get the stone out without surgery. Plus does he think she can manage the back and hips with pain therapy, or is he suggesting surgery? I know there is a pain med out there for this type of injury and it can be used long term. I have the name of it on my computer, I'm on the iPad now. If you need the name of it PM me and I will send it to you, so you can ask your vet about it.

mcraven2

Bonnaroo bound in my bulldog batmobile
Community Veteran
Jan 16, 2012
Boston MA
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Giovanni, Princess, and Diva (Frenchie)
Poor Banks! Hoping for a quick recovery and that he is able to scope the stone out! Sending positive thoughts your way!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Wow poor girl, no wonder she was cranky. I hope he can get the stone out without surgery. Plus does he think she can manage the back and hips with pain therapy, or is he suggesting surgery? I know there is a pain med out there for this type of injury and it can be used long term. I have the name of it on my computer, I'm on the iPad now. If you need the name of it PM me and I will send it to you, so you can ask your vet about it.

No surgery for her hips/back... she is currently on Gabapetin (AM) and tramadol twice a day. I think he is either going to change it or up the dosage on the gabby. Yes, please tell me the name of the med so i can ask about it

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Oh poor banks. I hope she does not need surgery. These crazy babies think they can eat anything. Please let us know how she is doing when you get an update. I s he scoping her now? I will pray for good results with the scope. Hang in there.

SunDog

Mar 26, 2011
California
Bulldog(s) Names
Lupe (or Lulu)
Oh man, haven't commented in awhile, but had to drop in. So sorry about this. heart-breaking. But if this is any help: I took tramadol to manage disc pain, and I had good results. It's constipating, and it can be sedating, but it's pretty safe long-term from what I understand, better than the other crap, and I got used to it. Our 11-year old Boston also was treated for arthritis pain with this and she was almost like a new puppy. My purely anecdotal experience is that it's more effective and safer than Rimidyl/carprophen. Best of luck and snuggles for your baby!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Christine, I'm so sorry to hear about Banks :( You knew that your baby wasn't feeling good…
I hope that they are able to control her hip & back pain, and I really hope Banks doesn't have to have surgery… Sending hugs & prayers, and please keep us posted!!! :hug: :pray:

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Poor Banks...such a special baby. Hoping they scope out the stone and can make her comfortable with the other pain. Sending prayers for Banks and hugs for Mommy!

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Scope did not work... object too heavy. They have to open her to get it out. He will call me when they are done.

Tech said Banks has been a great girl for them all day.

JennieS

Jun 25, 2013
Florence, KY
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruthie(died 11/27/18) Brutus & Hazel
Scope did not work... object too heavy. They have to open her to get it out. He will call me when they are done.

Tech said Banks has been a great girl for them all day.
OH NO :( Sending lots and lots of prayers to you and banks.

OP
2BullyMama

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OH NO :( Sending lots and lots of prayers to you and banks.

8 yrs old and this is only her second surgery, other was spay at 6 months :(

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.