Dew Claws Removed?

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Has anyone had their bulldog's dew claws removed? Shakespeare (5 months old) has been consistently chewing and pulling on both of his to the point that they have scabbed over. I have tried putting Bitter Spray on them (as the Vet suggested), rubbing Bag Balm ointment over the pads, and distracting him as soon as we see him start to gnaw on them. Nothing seems to deter him. He has no health issues (other than his cherry eye) and has seen the vet consistently over the past 2 months. When his first cherry eye popped out, the Vet advised giving him Benadryl to help with the itchiness he might have, and, while it seems to help with his eye, it had no effect on his chewing the dew claws so I don't think that that area is necessary itchy.
My concern is that he will tear them and have an even bigger issue.
I have an appointment for him to have his (second) cherry eye removed, dew claws removed, and have him neutered on the 11/14.
I am home with him during the day so he is pretty well entertained but I guess he may chew on them out of boredom or curiosity.
Any thoughts or opinions? Thanks!

laurendoodler

Delilah's Personal Slave
Community Veteran
Feb 26, 2011
Iowa
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Delilah
Delilah got hers removed when she was a newborn puppy..already had them gone when I picked her up and took her home.

In my experience dew claws are nothing but trouble. I've seen lots of dogs rip them completely out when I was working at a vet clinic. :( He might be better off without them if he's messing with them that much!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have been wondering about that myself…
Winston has eye issues, and it seems that he's using the dew claw to get at his eyes. I will tag some members for some insight on this… [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
To my knowledge, they are useless and some do have them removed at time of spay/neuter - I know a friend that had to have them removed from her Corso due to them not being fully attached and were going to cause issue later so they were removed at the time of neuter. His were really big and hung off the leg, strange

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Thanks for your responses. All my research has also said that they are useless but I wanted to double check that there wasn't some hidden reason why I should really avoid having them removed. I'm afraid he'll end up catching them on something or ripping them off. We'll proceed as planned. Thanks!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Normally on a bully they are not removed, but if they are causing a problem, then it won't hurt a thing to have them removed.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
When Stinky was 5 months I wanted his dew claws remove. But the vet said NO only if they were causing problems. She said at his age it would be like removing his thumb. She would have to break his bone. So I guess it would depend on why and the age of the bully.

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
When Stinky was 5 months I wanted his dew claws remove. But the vet said NO only if they were causing problems. She said at his age it would be like removing his thumb. She would have to break his bone. So I guess it would depend on why and the age of the bully.

I go along with your vet 100%:yes:

OP
Redsmom

Redsmom

Aug 17, 2013
Pleasanton, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Shakespeare
Dana and Sherry... Thanks. Wow- I have never heard anything about breaking the bone or having it be like his thumbs are being removed. All the info I have researched makes it sound like a simple procedure of removing otherwise useless claws.
Hmmm... I will call the vet and ask for the exact procedure and do some additional searches on it.