Help Needed! Winslow limping - call the vet or wait?

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
I feel sick to my stomach. How long have I been saying I'd buy a policy with Trupanion? Too long.

We brought Winslow to the dog park this morning. After a very long nap, he emerged from his crate limping. My husband thought that maybe he slept on it funny and his leg was asleep. I don't think it was though, as he's still not putting much weight on his back leg. Although, when I touch it, he doesn't seem to respond much, which is giving me my only hope that maybe I'm freaking out over nothing.

If you'd like to see anything specific, I can take videos.

Anyway. He now has his policy. Of course not good for accidents for five days, which begs the question. Should I wait it out and see if he feels better, or be safe and give the vet a call/take him in to be seen? :confused: It's not the cost of the vet that's putting me on the fence; it's the thought of him being branded with a "pre-existing condition" if I bring him now (but even then, if it is something serious, then I'd like to address it now). Which maybe it's not even that big of a deal. Can you see I'm overwhelmed and upset with myself and waaayyyy too worried about this boy?

breathe, jenna, breathe. woosaahh.

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Deep breaths! It's going to be ok :)

Winston does this every once in a while. He's got a kneecap that pops out occasionally and it takes a few steps to go back in. Sometimes after running around a bunch it pops out, but it always goes back in & the vet said that it doesn't hurt him or bother him, but to watch his weight so that way it won't get any worse.

I'd give it some time, see if he evens out ok. Definitely touch his entire leg and see if anything bothers him, but if you can't find anything, I wouldn't worry unless he has the limp still later.

Hugs to you! I know how much we all worry when it comes to our babies! :happy:

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Deep breaths! It's going to be ok :)

Winston does this every once in a while. He's got a kneecap that pops out occasionally and it takes a few steps to go back in. Sometimes after running around a bunch it pops out, but it always goes back in & the vet said that it doesn't hurt him or bother him, but to watch his weight so that way it won't get any worse.

I'd give it some time, see if he evens out ok. Definitely touch his entire leg and see if anything bothers him, but if you can't find anything, I wouldn't worry unless he has the limp still later.

Hugs to you! I know how much we all worry when it comes to our babies! :happy:

Thanks so much! I thought I wouldn't be like this - I was always so calm and cool when my human daughter was little! Now I could cry :rofl: I'll give him some more time - and rest. He's worn out. But I'll keep feeling around and see if he's bothered. How long would you wait to call if the limp does hang around?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
i've had a dog or two come up with a limp, after a session of heavy playing/running. Hopefully he just is sore after playing at the park. Check his pads to amke sure he didn't step on something that may have stuck in. If he doesn't seem to get worse, wait a couple of days to see if it works itself out. Hope he will be okay:yes:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Every time I've taken my boy to the vets for liming they've given some pain meds and tell me to keep them still for two weeks. Not easy, but worked every time.

s5nelson

Aug 28, 2013
Gaithersburg, MD
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks so much! I thought I wouldn't be like this - I was always so calm and cool when my human daughter was little! Now I could cry :rofl: I'll give him some more time - and rest. He's worn out. But I'll keep feeling around and see if he's bothered. How long would you wait to call if the limp does hang around?

Haha no worries! We all go through it! I freak out all the time if Winston or Fergus aren't acting quite right :)

I'd give it a day or two like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] said. If he was whining / crying or really hurting then I'd definitely recommend taking him to the vet, but it sounds like he just overdid it a bit and needs to rest. Go have a drink (or 6...maybe 10) and it'll be ok haha! :D

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
I would just monitor him for the rest of the day as it may be self-resolving. This just happened to Tate on Saturday in fact; we were at the park and suddenly, he wouldn't put any wt. on his back leg and wanted to lick it. When we got home however, he was just fine. Also happened to Finn one day this past summer after he woke up from a nap. Just started limping out of nowhere and this lasted for an entire day, then went away by itself. Hoping it's nothing serious and Winslow will be as good as new in no time!

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
i've had a dog or two come up with a limp, after a session of heavy playing/running. Hopefully he just is sore after playing at the park. Check his pads to amke sure he didn't step on something that may have stuck in. If he doesn't seem to get worse, wait a couple of days to see if it works itself out. Hope he will be okay:yes:
I looked at his pads, found nothing. But I think his... ankle? is what's bothering him.

Every time I've taken my boy to the vets for liming they've given some pain meds and tell me to keep them still for two weeks. Not easy, but worked every time.
Gonna try to keep him still for the rest od the day. At least he spent all his energy at the park this morning :\

Haha no worries! We all go through it! I freak out all the time if Winston or Fergus aren't acting quite right :)

I'd give it a day or two like [MENTION=8741]Manydogs[/MENTION] said. If he was whining / crying or really hurting then I'd definitely recommend taking him to the vet, but it sounds like he just overdid it a bit and needs to rest. Go have a drink (or 6...maybe 10) and it'll be ok haha! :D
Haha sounds like the perfect remedy. Thanks, doc!

I would just monitor him for the rest of the day as it may be self-resolving. This just happened to Tate on Saturday in fact; we were at the park and suddenly, he wouldn't put any wt. on his back leg and wanted to lick it. When we got home however, he was just fine. Also happened to Finn one day this past summer after he woke up from a nap. Just started limping out of nowhere and this lasted for an entire day, then went away by itself. Hoping it's nothing serious and Winslow will be as good as new in no time!
Thankyou! I really hope so too. He's loving on me extra today, and seems to be wanting to put even less weight on it now. But I'm gonna try to keep him resting and hope that's all he needs.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Good morning all!
very happy to report that Winslow is walking normally now. I may be imagining it, or he may be walking a little lightly on his right leg, but it's nowhere near like it was yesterday. Phew!

I know i overreacted but it's hard not to with these babies! But something good came of it and he is finally insured. We're taking it easy today - I'll give him a few short walks rather than the normal two long ones and no heavy play for a few days either. I've moved his pillow to the current sun spot on the floor and he's happily lazing around. :)

thanks for all your help!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Happy to hear some GOOD news! We all "over do" sometimes, and get sore muscles! Way to go, Winslow=glad your feeling better.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Yes! I am very grateful :)

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
great news [MENTION=9723]jenzaar[/MENTION]! my first reaction when Tate started limping on Sat was to take him to the vet's too! we're only "over-reacting" b/c we love our precious bullies so much and don't want them to be in pain. Give Winslow a big hug from us!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Good morning all!
very happy to report that Winslow is walking normally now. I may be imagining it, or he may be walking a little lightly on his right leg, but it's nowhere near like it was yesterday. Phew!

I know i overreacted but it's hard not to with these babies! But something good came of it and he is finally insured. We're taking it easy today - I'll give him a few short walks rather than the normal two long ones and no heavy play for a few days either. I've moved his pillow to the current sun spot on the floor and he's happily lazing around. :)

thanks for all your help!!!

:whew: so glad it was nothing. I rather be paranoid than miss something --- these babies are too precious

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.