Help Needed! Frustrated...Tank now has eye ulcer

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
I am beside myself right now. As some of you know Tank has his cherry eye tacted last Tuesday and he came home Wednesday. His eye looked so much better. I was pleased with the surgery. Well this Wednesday (a week later) when I got home from work, it was out again. It looked HUMONGUOUS.. he could barely close his eye. The vet was already closed so I called them the next morning. She told me that it was possible that it popped back out and to bring him in for them to look at it. There are several vets in the clinic, so I asked to see one that has seen my furbabies several times and he is the owner of the practice. He looked at it and said he could tack it again or remove it. I didn't remove it the first time because I did not want him to possibly develop dry eye later. I felt I did not have much of a choice this time, so I let him take it out. I felt so bad for my furbabie :(. He calls me after the surgery to tell me how Tank did oh and now he has a bad eye ulcer :confused:..Where the H. E. double hockey sticks did that come from? I do not know what to do with myself. He had to spend the night because his surgery had to be late this afternoon. I had already fed him when he went to the vet this morning. What is an eye ulcer? How did he get that? I can't wait to pick him up and talk more to the vet about this. Do any of you have any experience with eye ulcers?

I know I may have rambled on and on but I am a little overwhelmed right now.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Oh sweetie, take a deep breathe...... in and out. When it rains it pours.

Eye ulcers are very painful for them unlike cherry eye, they are usually caused by an injury or scratch to the eye. Lots of medicine goop they give you and keep it in 4x a day at least, the more the better.

OP
kristier25

kristier25

Dec 25, 2012
Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank and Bentley
Oh sweetie, take a deep breathe...... in and out. When it rains it pours.

Eye ulcers are very painful for them unlike cherry eye, they are usually caused by an injury or scratch to the eye. Lots of medicine goop they give you and keep it in 4x a day at least, the more the better.

But how did he get that. He was fine. When the cherry eye came from untacted did it do it, was it because I caught it out too late. Should I have just gotten it removed the first time instead of tacted? I just don't know...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
But how did he get that. He was fine. When the cherry eye came from untacted did it do it, was it because I caught it out too late. Should I have just gotten it removed the first time instead of tacted? I just don't know...

No experience w/this but I'm confused like you w/same questions.
So sorry on hearing this, Cami & I send hugs n kisses & prayers that
ulcer heals up & cherry eye as well.
:blowkiss:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Should not have mattered when you had it cut out, so I would certainly express your concerns with your vet. I surely would. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Im sorry to hear that your baby developed an eye ulcer -they can develop by a scratch or a trauma to the eye-my best guess that one of the stitches could cause this - on every check up Lily had they put a dye in her eye to check if there is no damage to the eye etc

Edit :i just noticed that Lisa gave same advice :-))
It is hard to notice as not long ago he had his operation so please dont blame yourself x

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I looked the causes of eye ulcers in dogs for you, and this is what I found:

Corneal Ulcers
By Janet Tobiassen Crosby, DVM
Corneal Ulcers in Dogs and Cats

The cornea is the outermost, transparent portion of the eye. A corneal ulcer is the loss of cells (epithelium) from the surface of the cornea.

Corneal ulcers are characterized as superficial or deep. Superficial ulcers (corneal erosions) are similar to a scrape on the skin; the very outermost layers. Deep ulcers may involve the underlying corneal structures causing a bulge or, in severe cases, rupture of the eye.

Corneal ulcers are common in pets, especially dogs. This condition is also seen in cats, notably with concurrent illness, such as Feline Herpes.

Signs Seen With a Corneal Ulcer

When these signs are seen - and any time an animal exhibits a painful eye or pawing at eye - it is always considered an emergency to have the eye(s) examined as quickly as possible. Eye conditions may change rapidly and quick diagnosis and treatment will help prevent deeper damage to the cornea and inner eye. Left untreated, corneal ulcers may result in eye rupture and loss of the eye.
Pain, squinting
Excessive blinking (called blepharospasm)
Cloudiness of the eye
Tearing or drainage
Pawing at, or rubbing the eye on other surfaces, such as furniture
Sometimes the third eyelid will be up
Some animals are lethargic or depressed
What Causes a Corneal Ulcer?

The causes of corneal damage are many. Dogs and cats with prominent eyes (Pugs, Persians) are more prone to corneal ulcers.

Common causes include:

Trauma (example: scratch)
Foreign body (example: grass awn)
Displaced eyelashes
Chemical or smoke exposure (examples: sprays, shampoo, or other topical compounds that get into the eye)
Eye infections - bacterial, viral, fungal
Decreased tear production
Other disease processes
How Are Corneal Ulcers Diagnosed?

A special dye, called fluorescein, is used to check the health of the cornea. This dye is impregnated on paper strips. The strip is wetted and touched to the eye to administer the dye. If the cornea is damaged, the fluorescent green dye fills in the ulcerated area. A black light will enhance the bright green stain that is taken up by the damaged corneal epithelial cells, but most lesions are visible in ambient room light.

Your veterinarian will do a complete eye exam, possibly including a Schirmer Tear Test if dry eye (keratoconjunctivitis sicca or KCS) is suspected. An overall health exam is also indicated to rule out any underlying or concurrent health problems. Depending on the age and overall health of the pet, the veterinarian may do additional testing, such as bloodwork and urinalysis, to rule out other disease or causes for the corneal ulcer.

What Are Treatment Methods for Corneal Ulcers?

The treatment of corneal ulcers depends on the depth of the ulcer and type of ulcer.

For superficial corneal ulcers, eyedrops that prevent infection (or treat a present infection) and reduce/eliminate pain work very well.

For deeper ulcers, surgery to help cover and protect the eye may be required. This is commonly done with eye lid or conjunctival flaps. Protective contact lenses may also be an option.

For many pets, an e-collar is a necessary tool to prevent further damage by pawing or rubbing the healing eye.

Home Care for Pets with Corneal Ulcers

Your veterinarian will show you how to administer eye medications. Superficial corneal ulcers typically heal by seven days. Deeper ulcers will take longer, depending on condition and treatment. Keep your pet calm during the healing phase, using an e-collar if necessary.

Observe the eye a few times a day. Watch for discharge, pain, or redness. Call your veterinarian if you noticed problems or are having trouble administering the medications. As the ulcer heals, you may notice blood vessels appear on the surface of the cornea. This is good - healing is happening.

The recheck appointment is vital to make sure that the ulcer has fully healed.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.