Help Needed! Experienced bulldog owners?

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Palm Beach county Fl. ( Delray Beach)
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Hi everyone. My 19 month old male ebd seems to have allergies. At least that is what my vet says. He just finished with an antibiotic. anti itch and ear drops for this. When he was on his medication for this he still itched but just not as much. I would like to pinpoint WHERE he is itching before bringing him back to the vets.. He does this more outside and am wondering if anyone can tell by this video if it is his ears, side of his face or back paws? I clean his folds sometimes 3x daily with just warm water on a wash cloth and dry with another wash cloth also his tail pocket every few days and even his paws at night. This is dring me crazy not knowing exactly what area to focus on. I deep clean his ears once a week as well as face and tail pocket with Malacetic octic but he hates it after and runs around rolling on the carpet.. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Hero and BUDDY :yes: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUGloU_P6q8&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hmm ,looks like he tries to scratch his ear licking paws at same time -does his ears have a funny smell,get dirty more than usual-more vax,or any discharge ? -have vet consider ear infection or ear mites? Does he shake his head more often-i noticed that bulldogs are not as good with head shakes than any other breed even with ear infection -Shy that is allergic to loads of things recently developed ear infection -thankfully it wasn't allergy related
I would go and get second vet opinion

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I just watched your video, poor baby... he looks miserable!!! Of course you could start w/his food... making sure he gets a grain-free food. On the home page there are MANY suggestions for a high quality dog food. Since you say this happens more outside, he could very well have environmental allergies. Many dogs are allergic to grass, weed killers... anything he would come in contact with. Have you noticed any watery eyes, clear discharge from his nose? That is a sure sign of allergies... both of my bullies have dealt w/this. I give Winston 2 Benadryl on the days when his allergies get stirred up (he's 10mos & weighs about 58 pounds). Many owners bathe their bullies to remove outdoor allergens from their skin... I also believe that is on the home page as well. I use douxo pads to clean out Winston's face folds, and many members swear by apple cider vinegar to clean out paws, tail pockets, etc... Have you thought about getting allergy testing for him? My Bella was miserable... and I know it was an option for her. Sometimes it's really hard to pinpoint what the real culprit is...

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
Thanks you guys. I do bath him.. about once a week although when he jumps in the lake out back. it is right after that.. I actually use baby shampoo to bath him. I know there are countless others. oatmeal, some with anti itch things in them as well. He really isn't miserable. He is about the happiest dog. puppy I have ever known or met and just loves everyone and every dog here.. I just would like to focus on the area that is causing him to itch.. The vet did say his outter ears were very clean but his ear canals were swollen and that's why he got the transederm or w/e that medication was called and antibiotic.. I love this little guy to death and it bothers me as much as him to see him itch like this.. Lets see if anyone else see's something we don't and I guess I might have to take him back to the vet. Thanks everyone for your support. PS I have him on Natural Balance grain free at 22% crude protein.. The vet wanted him on Hills special diet but after reading several articals suggesting low protein diets can actuallty be harmful and cause cardiac problems in several breeds ( including ed's) I found my own LOWER protein . grain free diet. Thanks hero and BUDDY

Last edited:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm... our Bella used to jump in our Koi pond constantly, and she always had ear infections. Do you think he may be getting water in his ears?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Very well could be environmental allergies, if so allergy meds help.
Benedryl doesn't work for all, Zyrtex is another choice.

Baby shampoo could be drying his skin out (weird huh?) and oatmeal
can cause allergies in grain sensitive dogs. I suggest original formula
Dawn, it's mild AND kills fleas but right now, I'd get him a fatty acids
shampoo w/moisture beads that continually burst & hydrate his skin.
You later & leave on 10 minutes (or as long as you can) then rinse.
If grass, tree, mold, etc you are going to have to rinse him after being
outside.

What is the protein source in his Natural Balance?

OP
H

hero4u

Jul 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Buddy
MM.. I am not sure.. All I know is he was on Fromms 4 star for a long time.. also Taste of the wild, Let me go check mm cant check right now on the protein source. I put his kibble in these large zip locks to try and keep them fresh. ( throw out the package) There are several varietys of Natural balance this one I believe is lamb and sweet potato. It is hard to find lower protein dog foods. I would be in the store all day.. I was told by a nutritionilist that many high grade 5 star dog foods are way too high in protein but I am not sure. I try and keep it low. Not as low as 10 or 12% like my vet recommended.. I brought my vet several articals and studies done that showed lower protein diets in dogs as well as cats can cause other serious problems and like I mentioned before, cardiac problems in ebd's/ He didn't know what to say. Anyways I will take him back if I have to.. O and the lake out back.. he never gets over his head. I chase him in and I get all muddy because I have been told many bullies cannot swim although my vets said that's a bunch of crap . Thanks everyone for the input.. Hero and Buddy

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.