Lemons

bbstubbles

Jan 31, 2010
Tucson, AZ
Bulldog(s) Names
Olaf & Ivana
Ok so I just want to inform you fellow bully owners about LEMONS. I am not sure if many of you have heard what a life saver they can be! If your bulldog gets worked up and has a hard time breathing cut a lemon and squirt it down their throat! It helps clear up the phlegm :D We had a situation earlier this week where Olaf had gotten sooooo worked up it was SCARY! Normally he is able to calm down but this time he just couldn't. His throat sounded like it was closing up and they closest vet was about 15 min away! Well luckily my bf remembered our breeder telling us about lemons and luckily desertskybulldogs had some handy! Needless to say it worked and we are sooo thankful. I almost thought for a second olaf would not be with us :( So anyways this is important info for all of you if you ever get in this type of situation. Olaf is doing wonderful thanks to something so simple as a LEMON.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yes, this was very scary indeed!!! Olaf met our bullies, and he was very excited. We took him in to relax, away from our dogs. He was having a hard time settling down, although he was trying. Then he was having a hard time panting, like his throat was closing up. Luckily bbstubbles bf remembered the lemon juice thing the breeder had told them, because if we did not squirt it in his mouth I think he would have passed out- or worse!!!

This is something all bully owners should know, and make sure you have some lemon juice around!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 148
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 145
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 150
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 153
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 149
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 144

cali~jenn

Mar 28, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Cutty, Miila and Mugsy the pug :)
This is something we should remember!Thankfully we have not had the need to try it out but our breeder also told us about this and I could be wrong but also soda works if no lemons are on hand. If I remember correctly that was on the paper she gave us also, will have to look to double check tho. How scary!!!!!

Jambulls Bulldogs

Apr 24, 2010
Little Rock
Bulldog(s) Names
Obie , Bebe , Tecko , Uno , Whoopie , Major , Jeeves , Warrior, Titan,
You can also use the lemon juice in the plastic lemon you find in the produce department . This keeps longer and is easier to take along with you on outings . But please remember that squirting the lemon juice directly down the throat can cause choking and or shock. Instead squirt it to the side of the mouth . If your Bully is having breathing issues from being excited there's a very good chance he's over heating as well , it doesn't have to be hot outside for him/her to over heat . Follow these steps , your Bully's life may depend on it .

Check the temp of his/her ears if they are very warm/hot to touch get him/her cooled ASAP ( If you have an extra pair of hands check his body temp )
Get him in a cool bath of water
Use cool water or ice on his belly ( you can apply a cool wet towel to his belly )
Rub ice if you have it available to his ears , testicles, groin ,in his rectum (I know sounds gross but this helps )

DO NOT GIVE YOUR BULLY ANYTHING TO DRINK until you have him temp down and breathing under control they could Aspirate (suck fluid into the lungs)
If your Bully's temp was 102 or above get him/her to the vet ASAP after you have him stable

With the warmer weather approaching please don't let your Bullies over do it , they don't know when to quit .

Bully Hugs !

Jefferson bulldogs

Feb 7, 2010
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
Also a GREAT tip if your bully is overheating, keep rubbing alcohol handy or alcohol pads. Rub some rubbing alcohol on the back of your bullies ears. I have used this method many times and it works great.

Bulldogg

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2010
Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
Also a GREAT tip if your bully is overheating, keep rubbing alcohol handy or alcohol pads. Rub some rubbing alcohol on the back of your bullies ears. I have used this method many times and it works great.

Nice! Thanks for sharing that one as well!

Mugzilla

Mar 24, 2010
southern bell
Bulldog(s) Names
www.myspace.com/queenlatillyjo
You can also use the lemon juice in the plastic lemon you find in the produce department
that's what i have at home. works for the bullies and i like to squirt some down my own throat every now and then. yeah, i'm hard core like that ;)

Attachments

• 20150312_153851.jpg
    20150312_153851.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 143
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    54.4 KB · Views: 152
  • image-1.jpeg
    image-1.jpeg
    56.3 KB · Views: 143

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010