Infection Over Repaired Umbilical Hernia

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
IMG_20131031_194237.jpgHello, in May Winston was fixed and had an umbilical hernia repair at the same time. There was no problems with healing or anything, all was good. Yesterday I noticed that my dog had a pimple where his repair was...looked a little pussy but not inflamed or anything. Today it is swollen, pussy and red. Not sure what this is...I have a vet appointment tomorrow but was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it could be or anything I can do to help. I have been putting warm compresses on it today, clean it and put polysporin on it. Anything advice would be helpful. Thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OUCH! I would be tempted to break it open, but don't do that, let the vet handle it in the morning.

Keep doing what you are doing. Poor Winston, hope it is a quick fix for him tomorrow.

please keep us posted

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Loki was allergic to the internal healing stitches from his hernia surgery and it looked very much like this. our vet recommend warm compress to reduce inflammation and antibiotics

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh no...poor Winston. Hoping all goes well. So many babies with problems tonight!

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Sending well wishes your way! And please keep us posted as I have Rocco going in for his neutering and hernia repair (if the vet feels it is still too big) on Dec 13!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​Prayers for y'all, let us know what Vet says & does, GOD bless!

OP
adamslater

adamslater

Dec 6, 2012
Sudbury, ON
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Turns out it was a suture reaction from when he got his umbilical hernia repaired. Our vet described the procedure to us and there are 3 knots tied at each end of the suture because they first stitch the muscle, then the fatty issue, and finally the skin. So his body was trying to push out the knot like a splinter or something. It burst on its own and the vet gave us some antibiotics so he is in good health. thanks for the well wishes.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
​Thank you for the wonderful update, Cami & I send hugs!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.