Very Itchy Bully!

Oleschoolb

May 14, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Tchotchke
Hello all,

We have a two year old English Bulldog named Tchotchke. We rescued her about a year ago, here in Florida. When we got her, her skin was very itchy/possibly painful. She had small bumps under her fur in various spots, almost always on top of her neck and back. We experimented with a few foods and switched her to a grain free diet. The bumps eventually disappeared, but the itchiness never has. You have to be very careful where you pet her. Her belly and head are fine, but even a LIGHT touch anywhere on her top leaves her kicking and almost unable to move. You know when you get that " tickle spot " on your dog and they're just frozen and kicking their legs? It's very much like that, except it's always...and it's 70% of her body.

We've seen two different vets, tried three or four different foods ( She's now on Blue, salmon I believe ) We've used medicated oatmeal shampoo, hydrocortisone spray, Benadryl and Loratadine, and are now trying a shampoo for Psoriasis and dandruff. None of these have been effective, except possibly the switch to a grain free diet. She has no fleas and is otherwise very happy and healthy with a good appetite. She looks totally fine. If you pull her hair back, there are no scales, red spots, etc. Although it is fairly pink. Also, we don't brush her often, as we assume it's painful, but when we do there is always dry skin/dandruff.

We'd very much appreciate any ideas or input. We've had almost no success and the vets recommend what we've already tried.

- Tchotchke's dad.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
You done all the right things , i would wait few weeks for the "grain free to kick in" your baby system if hes still itchy i would look into environmental allergies -maybe allergy test to point you into the right direction

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hello all,

We have a two year old English Bulldog named Tchotchke. We rescued her about a year ago, here in Florida. When we got her, her skin was very itchy/possibly painful. She had small bumps under her fur in various spots, almost always on top of her neck and back. We experimented with a few foods and switched her to a grain free diet. The bumps eventually disappeared, but the itchiness never has. You have to be very careful where you pet her. Her belly and head are fine, but even a LIGHT touch anywhere on her top leaves her kicking and almost unable to move. You know when you get that " tickle spot " on your dog and they're just frozen and kicking their legs? It's very much like that, except it's always...and it's 70% of her body.

We've seen two different vets, tried three or four different foods ( She's now on Blue, salmon I believe ) We've used medicated oatmeal shampoo, hydrocortisone spray, Benadryl and Loratadine, and are now trying a shampoo for Psoriasis and dandruff. None of these have been effective, except possibly the switch to a grain free diet. She has no fleas and is otherwise very happy and healthy with a good appetite. She looks totally fine. If you pull her hair back, there are no scales, red spots, etc. Although it is fairly pink. Also, we don't brush her often, as we assume it's painful, but when we do there is always dry skin/dandruff.

We'd very much appreciate any ideas or input. We've had almost no success and the vets recommend what we've already tried.

- Tchotchke's dad.

Pati is right sometimes it can take weeks for the full effects of the grain free food to kick in and if it is salmon then you are truly doing the right thing. We feed Fromms pork and peas right now and add salmon oil for Busters skin and coat and it really has made a difference. I hope everything works out for you. :welcome:

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'd ditch the oatmeal shampoo, it's a grain and absorbed by the skin. She
needs the type of shampoo that has fatty acids, you later up and leave on
about 10 minutes then rinse. It releases moisture all the time, ask your vet
about these, surprised not been recc'mded! When I think of the name I'll
pm you.

GunnyHighway

The Yacking Scuzz Brush Toilet King
Community Veteran
Aug 29, 2013
Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Gunny Highway
I'd ditch the oatmeal shampoo, it's a grain and absorbed by the skin. She
needs the type of shampoo that has fatty acids, you later up and leave on
about 10 minutes then rinse. It releases moisture all the time, ask your vet
about these, surprised not been recc'mded! When I think of the name I'll
pm you.

Is Pharmaseb what you are thinking of?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dh308cal

Oct 16, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie Kay Valentine
Hello all,

- Tchotchke's dad.

Well my friend this problem that your Tchotchke is experiencing is not a stranger to most Bull owners. This very morning my Maggie is waiting in line to see the vet "AGAIN".
She had this problem some months ago and the treatment was an
allergy shot followed by a regiment of prednisone, antibiotics & changed from Blue Buffalo to the prescription diet food from the Vet.. This did the trick until the holidays when we ran short of the diet food and had to use the Blue again. Well wouldn't you know it, the bumps returned and she is miserable. Itchy and running all over the house rubbing and scratching trying to find relieve.
Blue was good for the first year or so then the skin problems started.. We like the
Hill's Prescription Diet z/d Ultra Allergen-Free Canine Dry Food a bit more expensive but she is worth every penny.. Hope this helps and good luck..

IMG_0688.jpg

Last edited:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.