Surgery of the knee post care HELP!

xsubsailor

Jan 24, 2013
West Virginia
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Pickle
I use a washer drip pan with some hamster bedding as a litter box for Pickle. It has a small lip but it may work better than stairs.

Momma2Bullies

Aug 2, 2012
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Layla and Wilbur
I'm Benedict's Mom, he had knee surgery to fix a luxating patella grade 4, he's on pain killers right now totally out, I'm trying to figure out how to take him potty, vet said no steps and there's 2 of the patio to the back yard. Any one with experience please help! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi!
Had the same surgery for my boy (you can see photos in my profile pictures). Totally know what you are going through. Basically, you have to keep him off the leg as much as possible - healing correctly is key. Like others have posted, I used a band (towel at first, then I got an actual sling made for dogs for this purpose, or when they have arthritis and need help...). I supported him as much as possible when he was going potty, and yes carried him everywhere. Since we have two EBs, and they were only 10months when this happened, we had to keep them separated to prevent any rough-housing.

I know it is so hard - but diligence during healing is key! I also gave him "physio" , with icing and gentle movement of the joint. I have an awesome PDF protocol with week-by-week steps that the surgeon gave to me, I am more than happy to share it. Just PM me and I can email it to you.

I have to say that now, Wilbur is better than I could ever imagine. He is solid, running and jumping and playing and you would never know he had the surgery except for the scar.

Best of luck! I know this is difficult!!!!! xo!

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
Please can you email me the physical therapy, I want to read everything I can get my hands on so he can be back to his old self, I'll PM with my info as soon as I figure out how. LOL! Thank you for your kindness and understanding I feel so lonely I don't know any dog people so no one around me understands my love and concern for my fur baby. Thanks X 100

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
When we rescued Cash, he needed luxating patella surgery. After the surgery our vet told us to ice it a few times a day, work the joint several times a day and walk him at least once a day. He could go outside and potty too. So it surprises me that your vet said no steps. Our vet wanted us o work the joint and walk him so it would not stiffen up on him.

Benedict had a congenital problem with his knee on top of the luxating patella, the vet had to cut the bone reshape it and put 1 pins, that's why he can't go up or down the stairs, he can walk a little for the first 14 days but the problem is #1 and #2 he's so use to going out that he gets angry and rips the pads up. 😱😱

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
Hi!
Had the same surgery for my boy (you can see photos in my profile pictures). Totally know what you are going through. Basically, you have to keep him off the leg as much as possible - healing correctly is key. Like others have posted, I used a band (towel at first, then I got an actual sling made for dogs for this purpose, or when they have arthritis and need help...). I supported him as much as possible when he was going potty, and yes carried him everywhere. Since we have two EBs, and they were only 10months when this happened, we had to keep them separated to prevent any rough-housing.

I know it is so hard - but diligence during healing is key! I also gave him "physio" , with icing and gentle movement of the joint. I have an awesome PDF protocol with week-by-week steps that the surgeon gave to me, I am more than happy to share it. Just PM me and I can email it to you.

I have to say that now, Wilbur is better than I could ever imagine. He is solid, running and jumping and playing and you would never know he had the surgery except for the scar.

Best of luck! I know this is difficult!!!!! xo!

Can't figure out how to PM from iPhone could here is my email [email protected] please could you send me anything you found helpful I will truly appreciated, 😥

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
negy9emy.jpg

I got the Gingerlead rehabilitation harness recommended by my Vet. But Benedict is scared to dead of it try to use it yesterday and it works great for support but I couldn't get him to take a single step. 😫😫

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.