Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
I'm Benedict's Mom, he had knee surgery to fix a luxating patella grade 4, he's on pain killers right now totally out, I'm trying to figure out how to take him potty, vet said no steps and there's 2 of the patio to the back yard. Any one with experience please help! 😭😫

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Ah, poor baby. Looks a lot like when Nitschke had his ACL done. Nothing you can do... Not steps or unleashed potty breaks... Keep him calm and comfy.

we actually slept on he floor with him for about two months. Took turns each night and removed all the furniture from a spare room, then place a futon mattress on the floor with a bunch of pillows and blankets, then baby gated the doorway so he could see all that was going on, but could not run or jump

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Not sure what is the question exactly apart from post care (as i cant see it in the post apart from the pictures) - my answer would be keep him as calm as possible,with very little walking ,carry him if you can ;-(
With bit of rest and tlc he should be back to normal ,my boxer girl had it -it was hard to keep her still but after few weeks she was getting much better
Wishing speedy recover

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I don't have any experience with this, and I know it's hard to keep these crazy guys quiet. Lol. When I had Blossom spayed, we were supposed to keep her from running, or jumping up and down off furniture or beds. Easier said than done, she was full of beans and while on pain medication, I guess she didn't feel any pain. We kept her on her leash when out for short potty breaks, we crated her for sleeping, and she bounced back real fast, but knee surgery would be a much longer recovery than just a week, so it may be harder to help him quiet and somewhat still. Gating him in a room like Christine suggested would be a good idea, and for the stairs, you could either carry him up and down the two steps, or maybe make a ramp for him to go down, with it being only two steps, it wouldn't be very steep, and may make it easy for him to go out for potty breaks. Good luck. I am glad he came through the surgery okay, and I hope he has a quick and easy recovery, and feels better soon.

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
Not sure what is the question exactly apart from post care (as i cant see it in the post apart from the pictures) - my answer would be keep him as calm as possible,with very little walking ,carry him if you can ;-(
With bit of rest and tlc he should be back to normal ,my boxer girl had it -it was hard to keep her still but after few weeks she was getting much better
Wishing speedy recover

Sorry, 1st timer using tapatalk, I'm trying to figure out potty breaks, do I go back to the baby pads? Risk the back yard, vet said no steeps there's 3 down I got a ginger lead to help anyone's tries one.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sorry, 1st timer using tapatalk, I'm trying to figure out potty breaks, do I go back to the baby pads? Risk the back yard, vet said no steeps there's 3 down I got a ginger lead to help anyone's tries one.

Puppy pads ads or carry him in and out.... We had to carry our boy down a flight of stairs for potty backs and then back up

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I just saw the post ;-)
I would carry him to the backyard-don't let him walk the steps xx

We had decking and stones on a slope garden -that was pretty tough for her but she managed
But if your boy have problems then i would use pads

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
Hi, I don't have any experience with this, and I know it's hard to keep these crazy guys quiet. Lol. When I had Blossom spayed, we were supposed to keep her from running, or jumping up and down off furniture or beds. Easier said than done, she was full of beans and while on pain medication, I guess she didn't feel any pain. We kept her on her leash when out for short potty breaks, we crated her for sleeping, and she bounced back real fast, but knee surgery would be a much longer recovery than just a week, so it may be harder to help him quiet and somewhat still. Gating him in a room like Christine suggested would be a good idea, and for the stairs, you could either carry him up and down the two steps, or maybe make a ramp for him to go down, with it being only two steps, it wouldn't be very steep, and may make it easy for him to go out for potty breaks. Good luck. I am glad he came through the surgery okay, and I hope he has a quick and easy recovery, and feels better soon.

Thank you for your great suggestions and for sharing your story with me.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
When I was doing rescue many of them had surgeries of some type. My rescues were too big to carry so I put them in a room (utility rooms work great or garage, something without carpet) with a large tarpe and laid it down flat. I then put several buckets of dirt on the tarpe and leveled it off and that became their facilities area. I replaced the dirt regularly and even used cat litter and it worked great. As they progressed I would let them out but initially I used this method instead of trying to go up and down steps. I have also used the big plastic kiddy pools for the same purpose. Good luck.

OP
Benedict2013

Benedict2013

Dec 25, 2012
Delaware
Bulldog(s) Names
Benedict
umydypum.jpg

Benedict, giving me kisses before surgery, he's my angel 😇. Thank you all for your great ideas, he's to heavy for me to safely take him down the stairs I'm afraid I'll drop him, the pads and kitty liter for # 2 was a great idea as well as the poll. Keep them coming. 🐾🐾😂👍

shobbsie

Mar 28, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Two
A lot of great advice. My boxer had ACL surgery and I got a band to take the weight off her hind legs. She was 70 pounds, so it wasn't easy. We have a family member in a wheelchair so we don't have steps, but since it's just two steps maybe a sheet of plywood to form a ramp along with a sling?
Gimli had to be still the first 8 weeks post op. We kept her in her kennel except for bathroom outings the first 4; the next 4 weeks I gated of a small area with a pad and let her there when I could be with her. We had an additional 4 weeks with limited activity.
I did order a sling (cant remember what theyre called) but used a towel until it arrived. a towel would have worked, but i have arthritis in my hands and had trouble holding the ends of the towel. the handle worked much better..
Good luck. the time went fast in hindsight.

mjowanna

Dec 19, 2012
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brittany(2008-2016); Angelica
My bully had the same surgery. My doc told me to get a towel or a t-shirt and sling it under your bully's lower belly. Then, lift up on the towel so that it just lifts your bully's rear paws 2 inches off the ground. Then, allow your bully to use its own front legs to walk on its own as you walk along with the rear legs lifted. It works well. It allows your bully to walk without putting any weight on its rear legs.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
When we rescued Cash, he needed luxating patella surgery. After the surgery our vet told us to ice it a few times a day, work the joint several times a day and walk him at least once a day. He could go outside and potty too. So it surprises me that your vet said no steps. Our vet wanted us o work the joint and walk him so it would not stiffen up on him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.