Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Surgery of the knee post care HELP!

Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Two
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Surgery of the knee post care HELP!

A lot of great advice. My boxer had ACL surgery and I got a band to take the weight off her hind legs. She was 70 pounds, so it wasn't easy. We have a family member in a wheelchair so we don't have steps, but since it's just two steps maybe a sheet of plywood to form a ramp along with a sling?
    Gimli had to be still the first 8 weeks post op. We kept her in her kennel except for bathroom outings the first 4; the next 4 weeks I gated of a small area with a pad and let her there when I could be with her. We had an additional 4 weeks with limited activity.
    I did order a sling (cant remember what theyre called) but used a towel until it arrived. a towel would have worked, but i have arthritis in my hands and had trouble holding the ends of the towel. the handle worked much better..
    Good luck. the time went fast in hindsight.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Brittany
    Likes (Received)

My bully had the same surgery. My doc told me to get a towel or a t-shirt and sling it under your bully's lower belly. Then, lift up on the towel so that it just lifts your bully's rear paws 2 inches off the ground. Then, allow your bully to use its own front legs to walk on its own as you walk along with the rear legs lifted. It works well. It allows your bully to walk without putting any weight on its rear legs.

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

When we rescued Cash, he needed luxating patella surgery. After the surgery our vet told us to ice it a few times a day, work the joint several times a day and walk him at least once a day. He could go outside and potty too. So it surprises me that your vet said no steps. Our vet wanted us o work the joint and walk him so it would not stiffen up on him.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Real Name
    Chas
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Pickle
    Likes (Received)

I use a washer drip pan with some hamster bedding as a litter box for Pickle. It has a small lip but it may work better than stairs.

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict2013 View Post
    I'm Benedict's Mom, he had knee surgery to fix a luxating patella grade 4, he's on pain killers right now totally out, I'm trying to figure out how to take him potty, vet said no steps and there's 2 of the patio to the back yard. Any one with experience please help! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hi!
    Had the same surgery for my boy (you can see photos in my profile pictures). Totally know what you are going through. Basically, you have to keep him off the leg as much as possible - healing correctly is key. Like others have posted, I used a band (towel at first, then I got an actual sling made for dogs for this purpose, or when they have arthritis and need help...). I supported him as much as possible when he was going potty, and yes carried him everywhere. Since we have two EBs, and they were only 10months when this happened, we had to keep them separated to prevent any rough-housing.

I know it is so hard - but diligence during healing is key! I also gave him "physio" , with icing and gentle movement of the joint. I have an awesome PDF protocol with week-by-week steps that the surgeon gave to me, I am more than happy to share it. Just PM me and I can email it to you.

I have to say that now, Wilbur is better than I could ever imagine. He is solid, running and jumping and playing and you would never know he had the surgery except for the scar.

Best of luck! I know this is difficult!!!!! xo!
    My whole world

Real Name
    Helga
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benedict
    Likes (Received)

Please can you email me the physical therapy, I want to read everything I can get my hands on so he can be back to his old self, I'll PM with my info as soon as I figure out how. LOL! Thank you for your kindness and understanding I feel so lonely I don't know any dog people so no one around me understands my love and concern for my fur baby. Thanks X 100

Real Name
    Helga
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benedict
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Davidh View Post
    When we rescued Cash, he needed luxating patella surgery. After the surgery our vet told us to ice it a few times a day, work the joint several times a day and walk him at least once a day. He could go outside and potty too. So it surprises me that your vet said no steps. Our vet wanted us o work the joint and walk him so it would not stiffen up on him.
    Benedict had a congenital problem with his knee on top of the luxating patella, the vet had to cut the bone reshape it and put 1 pins, that's why he can't go up or down the stairs, he can walk a little for the first 14 days but the problem is #1 and #2 he's so use to going out that he gets angry and rips the pads up. 😱😱

Real Name
    Helga
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benedict
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2Bullies View Post
    Hi!
    Had the same surgery for my boy (you can see photos in my profile pictures). Totally know what you are going through. Basically, you have to keep him off the leg as much as possible - healing correctly is key. Like others have posted, I used a band (towel at first, then I got an actual sling made for dogs for this purpose, or when they have arthritis and need help...). I supported him as much as possible when he was going potty, and yes carried him everywhere. Since we have two EBs, and they were only 10months when this happened, we had to keep them separated to prevent any rough-housing.

I know it is so hard - but diligence during healing is key! I also gave him "physio" , with icing and gentle movement of the joint. I have an awesome PDF protocol with week-by-week steps that the surgeon gave to me, I am more than happy to share it. Just PM me and I can email it to you.

I have to say that now, Wilbur is better than I could ever imagine. He is solid, running and jumping and playing and you would never know he had the surgery except for the scar.

Best of luck! I know this is difficult!!!!! xo!
    Can't figure out how to PM from iPhone could here is my email helgonis@hotmail.com please could you send me anything you found helpful I will truly appreciated, 😥

Real Name
    Helga
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benedict
    Likes (Received)

I got the Gingerlead rehabilitation harness recommended by my Vet. But Benedict is scared to dead of it try to use it yesterday and it works great for support but I couldn't get him to take a single step. 😫😫

Real Name
    Bree
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Layla and Wilbur
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Benedict2013 View Post
    Can't figure out how to PM from iPhone could here is my email helgonis@hotmail.com please could you send me anything you found helpful I will truly appreciated, 

I sent it to you!!!! Hope it helps you...
    My whole world

Real Name
    Helga
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Benedict
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2Bullies View Post
    I sent it to you!!!! Hope it helps you...
    Thank you!! 😊

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads