tdy426

Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Henry, Roxie (2009-2013)
Hi all,
Hoping you can offer some advice about what may be happening with my baby girl, Eleanor. She's been with me for almost two weeks now (she'll be 10 weeks old tomorrow), and over the past couple of days, I've noticed the area around her lower eyes has been red. When she wakes up, she often has a heavy crusty residue (yellow in color?), and she has been been scratching at the area (although, usually before I clean her up). I'm guessing she's allergic to something, but I don't know where to start to identify the culprit. We transitioned from Science Diet Large Breed Puppy last week and have been on Blue Basics Puppy (turkey and potato). I add salmon oil to their breakfast and a bit of yogurt to their dinner. Her brother, Henry, is eating the same with no issues. Her behavior hasn't changed. She still runs around like crazy, but I'm worried. I tried getting some children's Benadryl in her yesterday (which I had to hide in yogurt-she's a very picky eater!), and gave her a bath this morning, but haven't noticed any improvement yet.

Thoughts??
Thank you!!

photo.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
It could very well be allergies, maybe environmental... I'm dealing w/the same issue with my Winston! You may want to have a vet check her out, when Winston scratches at his eyes he usually has an eye ulcer that needs medication to heal. Also Winston needs Entropion surgery, it's where the bottom eyelid rolls inward & causes irritation to the eyes. Very common in bulldogs... I use the Greenies Pill Pockets to get Winston to take meds. I can give Winston 2 benadryl tabs, but he weighs 58 pounds. Your baby would need a much smaller dose depending on her weight. Good Luck & keep us posted!!! :)

OP
tdy426

tdy426

Oct 21, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Eleanor and Henry, Roxie (2009-2013)
It could very well be allergies, maybe environmental... I'm dealing w/the same issue with my Winston! You may want to have a vet check her out, when Winston scratches at his eyes he usually has an eye ulcer that needs medication to heal. Also Winston needs Entropion surgery, it's where the bottom eyelid rolls inward & causes irritation to the eyes. Very common in bulldogs... I use the Greenies Pill Pockets to get Winston to take meds. I can give Winston 2 benadryl tabs, but he weighs 58 pounds. Your baby would need a much smaller dose depending on her weight. Good Luck & keep us posted!!! :)

Thanks for responding!

We were just at the vet Friday afternoon getting our second round of puppy shots, but at the time, she was fine. I'm going to keep a close eye on her for now, and email the vet if I see no improvement soon.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Yellow crusty.... I'm thinking it might be conjunctivitis
[MENTION=6311]Vikinggirl[/MENTION]. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION]

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi I agree with other comments above, it is usually caused by two reasons, allergy or infection in the eye. If the discharge is clear, and the eye is just runny, then it's usually allergy related. If the discharge is yellowish or green in colour this usually indicates an infection, and then he would need antibiotic eye drops to clear it up. You could try giving him a Benadryl and see if it improves the eye, or try over the counter Polysporin Antibiotic eye drops from the drugstore and see if it improves, if it doesn't clear up in a day or so, then I would take him to the vet to have him check the eye. If it is conjunctivitis or an eye infection, be careful when handling or touching his eye, as it could be contagious to you or other family members, make sure you either wear gloves of some sort, and wash your hands after touching the eye, or applying medications to his eye. I hope it clears up soon, and he feels better.

mjowanna

Dec 19, 2012
Florida
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brittany(2008-2016); Angelica
My bully sees an eye doctor vet who recommends Zaditor eye drops. It's an all natural allergy antihistamine eye drop. You can find it in any drug store. One or 2 drops per eye and my bully's eyes go from red to white in minutes.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.