Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hey guys, I need your help. Dozer and Blossom were playing on the living room floor all evening, I was on the couch, and the phone rang. I was talking to my friend, and Dozer jumped up to lay beside me. I saw he was chewing something, and realized it was the strap on my purse, so I told him no, and moved it away, and that's when I realized one of my Grandsons charcoal grey socks was missing. My couch is black leather, so the dark socks blended in, and I had forgotten about them. My grandson was here earlier in the evening, and took his socks off, and I know both socks were there, but now one is missing, so he must have swallowed it. I have read on here that some people have given their bullies hydrogen peroxide to swallow, to induce vomiting. How much do you give them?, Is this safe to do? Is it regular Hydrogen Peroxide from the drugstore? I don't want him getting sick in a few days from the sock. Any help or suggestions regarding the peroxide would be appreciated. I've never given anything like this to my dogs before, so am nervous to try it, but if it works, and is safe to do then I will try it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Monica, I'm not sure so will let another answer, wanted to let you
know I'm praying for safe & quick passage & sending love.

Dana F

Jul 30, 2013
Macon, Illinois
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Petey Pete AKA "Stinky Pete"
When Rocky would eat a sock he would throw it up in a few days.I would call the vet in the morning and ask them what to do. I also have heard about the peroxide too. Don't know if I would do that with the vet telling me to.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
1st I'm no expert.....2nd stay calm...and look for the other sock...call make sure mamma didn't take it home...call vet and get advice..24hr ER. Let us know, i have a feeling all will be ok.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Monica, I'm so sorry... I have never done it before, but I know that people do it to induce vomiting. Hopefully you will get help soon!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I just called the 24 hr emergency vet hospital, and asked them about inducing vomiting with peroxide, they told me it can be used, but they don't recommend it for a sock, as it might cause him to choke on the sock when it came up. The lady told me its different if they vomit on their own, as opposed to being induced, because when they vomit on their own, they're getting rid of the object on their own. She told me he would more than likely pass it, which he did last year with another sock he had swallowed. She said to keep an eye on him, and watch for the signs of obstruction, vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, and being lethargic, and to bring him in if he shows any signs. I'm going to worry until I see that sock. He's running around right now, and playing, normal. I don't understand why he loves socks so much, it's his favourite thing to eat.

Tkelley

Oct 15, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Guinevere, Little Be
My ex-husband once took a prescription out and set it down to grab his drink, our puppy, Kyla, was four months old and super fast... Needless to say she snagged that pill up in a second flat. We were so freaked out (our first puppy!) and we called poison control, they instructed us to give her a teaspoon of peroxide. She threw up within ten minutes. I don't know if I would induce vomiting without talking to the vet in this situation. Maybe you can just call an animal hospital to see if they recommend inducing vomiting? My thoughts are with you!

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I hope everything "comes out" okay. Poor you...naughty Dozer, what's the deal with socks Bud!? Sometimes I wonder if they do this stuff to drive us crazy!! Best wishes!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
How's Dozer this morning? I swear he has turned into the SOCK monster!!! :eek:

JeannieCO

Queenie
Mar 11, 2011
Tip of the Mitt, Michigan
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma, Charlie, Milo, Peekaboo and Jack
Oh dang Monica, I pray that Dozer is able to pass that. Definitely do not induce vomiting for a sock, imo, for reason the vet said, he could choke on it since it. Praying all will be ok!! :pray: :hug:

OP
Vikinggirl

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
He's acting normal of course, eating, drinking, playing, but it usually takes a few days before he shows signs of being sick. Last time he swallowed a sock, he vomited first, then he had the diarrhea , and he was drooling, then as the day went on, he became very lethargic, so I took him to the vet, she did an X-ray and she gave him IV fluids, pain meds, and a laxative, at home we fed him a high fibre food that the vet gave us, and that night he was able to pass the sock. I called the emergency vet hospital last night, and they didn't recommend inducing vomiting, as it might cause him to choke on the sock. She told me that he more than likely will pass it, but watch him for signs of obstruction, and bring him in if he gets sick. I swear I should change his name to sock monkey.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Hey! So Im seeing this too late. But with the peroxide its 2 teaspoons then if after 20 mins they havent puked its another 2. Well thats what it was when Daisy was little. (and you want to do this right after they swallow it) The whole thing with them not choking on it while they are puking is to get them to drink lots of water in the process. Both times we had to induce it worked out fine. Messy but fine. But this last time you guys know I didnt catch it in time so I just fed her lots of fiber. Metamucil, fiber bread, and vegetables. Hopefully that helps some Good luck :)

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok don't panic, I just went through this with Brutus. He is terrible with eating socks and things like that. First it is a good thing it was your grandsons sock because it means it is small. It took Brutus approx. three days to pass his sock. I had to go outside and look through all his poops. Look up my "poop detective" thread, I took pictures of the evidence. Good luck.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He's acting normal of course, eating, drinking, playing, but it usually takes a few days before he shows signs of being sick. Last time he swallowed a sock, he vomited first, then he had the diarrhea , and he was drooling, then as the day went on, he became very lethargic, so I took him to the vet, she did an X-ray and she gave him IV fluids, pain meds, and a laxative, at home we fed him a high fibre food that the vet gave us, and that night he was able to pass the sock. I called the emergency vet hospital last night, and they didn't recommend inducing vomiting, as it might cause him to choke on the sock. She told me that he more than likely will pass it, but watch him for signs of obstruction, and bring him in if he gets sick. I swear I should change his name to sock monkey.

UGH!!! [MENTION=9370]brutus77[/MENTION] just wnet through this maybe a week ago... and someone else too -- it will pass, but as the vet said, keep a wacthful eye for any signs.

Hugs and prayers to you and the kiddies

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Oh man, I feel for ya. I went through this with Blue and a chicken bone.
Can you give him that same high fiber food again?

Most Reactions