Mattie is hurt; can't jump anymore?!

Denton

Mar 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mattie
Starting yesterday, Mattie seems to be in pain when trying to climb or jump, but I can't figure out what could be wrong (going to the vet tomorrow!)

Prior to yesterday, she loved to run up stairs, jump on the couch and jump on her hind legs to slobber all over me when I got home from work. As of yesterday though, she's totally different. She can't run up steps -she goes up one step at a time. Front paws first then back paws second. Then she moves to the next step. Again, she used to do this at a full sprint to the top. When trying to get on the couch she puts her front paws up and pulls herself up now instead of the leap she's been doing for nearly a year (since I had her).

The worst of it though is when I got home today. She usually jumps up to say hello when I get in. Today she ran to me, looked like she was about to make the attempt but thought better of it. Instead she went into a full 'sit' position. She normally does this when she knows she did something wrong or she really wants something. (Her demonstration of being 'good' I guess.) She tried again to jump up, but gave up again without making the attempt. This scares me.

She looks fine when walking, and I very gently tugged on each leg a bit and got no unusual responses. Though later, when she tried to jump on the couch the gave a low-pitched yelp when trying to jump up and then climbed up instead.

Again, I'm going to the vet first thing tomorrow morning, but if anybody has any advice or ideas of what I could expect, please let me know.

Notes:
Mattie turned 4 in September. She has no history of hip or joint problems, but she is a bulldog. She's a big girl -- about 60 pounds.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh gosh... poor Mattie!!! Maybe she just pulled something, hopefully the vet will be able to find something out tomorrow!!! Give Mattie a big hug from Winston, and keep us posted... :hug:

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chumley did the exact same thing about a year and a half ago..we went to the vet took some X-rays and he gave him a painkiller and antibiotic..in 3 days he was much better..the hardest part was trying to keep him off it. I was giving him Benadryl to slow him down..so think positive she may just have landed on her leg wrong ! Good luck and let us know.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Awe Poor Mattie give her snuggles from Sheldon and I. I hope every thing comes out ok and she has a complete recovery.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Sounds like she pulled something. Let us know how she did at the vet.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor Mattie, I agree with others comments that she either pulled a muscle, or she may have landed the wrong way on one of her jumps, and maybe bruised something, even a paw. My male Dozer, fell when he was just a little pup, and he yelped so much, he couldn't walk on his back leg, I took him to the vet, and she checked it, and did an X-ray of both legs so she could compare them. He hadn't broken anything, and as it turned out he either bruised or sprained his paw, or foot.m she gave him some pain killers, and an anti inflammatory and he favoured that foot for 4 days before he could walk on it again. I hope it's nothing serious with Mattie, and the vet can figure it out. Sending hugs, love and prayers to you and Mattie that everything is okay. Please keep us posted.

Zoebug

Aug 25, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Moola , Gracie , Gabby and Lula Belle
If it's one of her back legs most likely she has torn or ruptured her ACL. Very common in our breed unfortunately . Good luck tomorrow.

- - - Updated - - -

If it's one of her back legs most likely she has torn or ruptured her ACL. Very common in our breed unfortunately . Good luck tomorrow.

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I don't think it's her hips, it's too sudden... Our Boeboe has pulled a muscle on her front leg twice, she gets a shot and some pain medicine and she's fine again. And our Joey sometimes get's lill pieces of gravel or stuff in between her toes, she has very puffy paws, but that makes her limp so it's probably not that... I think the vet visit will go well and all will be fine:)

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Sure sounds that she's hurt, but hopefully it's just a strain and she makes a full speedy recovery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
[MENTION=8329]Denton[/MENTION] .... any update from the vet visit?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
It's funny that she does not limp. She has hurt herself or pulled something, but you would think she would limp. It could be in her back too. Let us know what the vet says.

OP
Denton

Denton

Mar 7, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Mattie
Sorry for the long delay. Looks like she probably pulled or strained something in her back. She seems back to 100% after a few days of rest. Vet recommended that for 1 week she goes on no long walks and to keep her kenneled when I'm at work, so we'll stick to that short-term to be safe. Thanks for all the replies!

One thing I did find out though at the vet -- she's ballooned in weight. She was 58 pounds when I got her in February. She's up to 68 pounds now!! Jumping around with 17% extra weight definitely isn't going to work for her long-term, so the diet started this week.

I've been feeding her 2 cups of Blue Buffalo Wilderness per day for about 3 months, and I guess I'll have to dial it back a bit. I'm also going to double up on the lengths of our walks (which will help us BOTH a bit) and reweigh her in a month or so.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad that's all it was, and cutting back on her food will help. We feed our females 3/4 cup twice a day.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Great to hear that Mattie will recover!

Cami @ almost 6 y/o has gained back weight she took off
and is just under 70 lbs. I was feeding her 2 cups daily so
have started 3/4 cup and no treats and short walks (she
HATES walks). Give Mattie kisses from us :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.