Update on Zoey's Cherry Eye II

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Thanks for the advice! I have done a lot of research on it and have spoken with a couple of different vets. We were ensured by one vet who has done hundreds of these surgeries (and did the c-section) that there is only a minimal amount of tear production that comes from that bottom gland. Also, when tacking it down, many times that duct no longer produces tears. Plus, you have IV sedation and it is very common that it will pop back out. The chances of the stitches scratching the eye, etc. makes for even more concern and chances of other issues. We definitely are not making a quick decision on this and we are definitely weighing the pros & cons of each option. We do not have any ophthalmologists anywhere near us and we do trust the advice from the vet who is doing the procedure. Dry eye is somewhat common either way; whether there has been a procedure done or not. This truly is a hard decision to make because, either way, the decision is going to affect them for the rest of their lives (as well as their families). Thank you again; you all are so helpful and I really am glad to have found a place to go to get such awesome support and advice!

Excellent. As long as you're making an informed decision and you trust your vet that's all that matters.

I'm one of those crazy people that analyzes everything (could be why I work in Compliance.. lol), then weighs the pros and cons.
So it's always great to hear that others have done their research as well.

Jill Lampkin

Aug 17, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Emma
Emma just got her 2 week cone of shame off from her Second cherry eye surgery. The first lasted about 3 weeks and came out. The breeder says just have it removed my vet and an ophthalmologist cringed when I told them that. So we opted to try the stitching again. Today has been two weeks. I don't see it but I attached the post op pic and a pic as of a few days ago.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 30

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Emma just got her 2 week cone of shame off from her Second cherry eye surgery. The first lasted about 3 weeks and came out. The breeder says just have it removed my vet and an ophthalmologist cringed when I told them that. So we opted to try the stitching again. Today has been two weeks. I don't see it but I attached the post op pic and a pic as of a few days ago.

Looks great

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.