Update on Zoey's Cherry Eye II

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Got up Monday (yesterday) morning and Zoey's cherry eye is back. How can this be? Stitches didn't do their job or hold or what? Anyway she is back at the vet today, since 8:30 AM for a repeat performance I guess.

I know I should have taken pictures but I didn't. Pretty much looks the same as it did when all this started. Poor little Zoey...

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor Zoey, I've heard before where it doesn't stay correctly. Hopefully it will work this time.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Oh no. Poor Zoey. Sending good thoughts for a better outcome this time!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Poor baby, I'm so sorry to hear this. Did the vet say why it happened?

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
Zoey's Eye procedure was a success. She looks a little worse than after her last eye op. but it's a little more swollen. Our vet said the procedure went well and he's only had one other one that didn't hold. We all have our fingers crossed on this one. So back to the cone of shame; two weeks this time, last time it was only 10 days. Pictures later, lots of cuddling tonight. Picked her up one hour ago and she's still pretty much out of it.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Tom, I'm so sorry for baby Zoey!!! Hopefully this time things will work out...

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
That's good news. I kept Blue's on for 2 weeks as well. After 7 days, I would take it off during the day since I work from home and can watch him. But at night, it went right back on. Had a fear he'd scratch the stitches out.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Oh Tom, I hate to hear this but relieved 2nd time went well
and dear Zoey's home again. Sending love & prayers for y'all :)

OP
TomVan

TomVan

Jun 5, 2013
Missouri
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bailey & Zoey
A couple photos of Zoey post cherry eye op number two. Bailey welcomes her home. Back in the cone of shame for two more weeks.

Attachments

• postop201.jpg
    postop201.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 117
  • postop202.jpg
    postop202.jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 120

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
That pic where they are greeting each other lifts my heart this morning.

Love your girls & y'all, GOD bless!

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
So sorry about your poor baby girl! Good thoughts headed y'alls way! At the vet where we are taking 2 of ours to get their cherry eye removed, he said that he suggests removal to avoid that issue. He said even though they tack it down in place, it can still show slightly. Plus, removal requires very little (to none) recovery time and no IV sedation (only gas) and it takes about 5-10 minutes to do. I hope this one works for her so that you all will not have to endure this again. Take care and give her lots of lovins!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
A couple photos of Zoey post cherry eye op number two. Bailey welcomes her home. Back in the cone of shame for two more weeks.

Love the pics, especially the welcome smooch she's getting from Bailey.
Tom, make sure Bailey doesn't touch Zoeys eye. She may try to lick it or even accidently paw it if they're playing.
Watch them very closely these next two weeks. You don't want anything going wrong.

So sorry about your poor baby girl! Good thoughts headed y'alls way! At the vet where we are taking 2 of ours to get their cherry eye removed, he said that he suggests removal to avoid that issue. He said even though they tack it down in place, it can still show slightly. Plus, removal requires very little (to none) recovery time and no IV sedation (only gas) and it takes about 5-10 minutes to do. I hope this one works for her so that you all will not have to endure this again. Take care and give her lots of lovins!!

I'd get a second opinion on this.
I was told that removing the gland increases the chances of dry eye when the dog get older. This means daily drops for the rest of the pups life. Also, dry eye (lack of tears) is the most common cause of corneal ulcers. So I wouldn't be so quick to remove the gland. (Because I'm a crazy bullie mama, I got the opinion of my vet and two Ophthalmologists on removal vs tacking.)

Just an FYI, tacking both eyes takes about 15 minutes.
We had the procedure done a week before Tom did it for Zoey, and so far- so good.

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Poor Zoey :( But Im glad the second one went well! And I too, love the pic where the pups are greeting each other

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Ah, so sweet how Bailey came to welome her back home. Poor Zoey... fingers, toes and paws crossed all goes well.

mandymae7

Oct 23, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Yoshi, Serenity, Cornbread, SunnyMae and Sugar
Love the pics, especially the welcome smooch she's getting from Bailey.
Tom, make sure Bailey doesn't touch Zoeys eye. She may try to lick it or even accidently paw it if they're playing.
Watch them very closely these next two weeks. You don't want anything going wrong.

I'd get a second opinion on this.
I was told that removing the gland increases the chances of dry eye when the dog get older. This means daily drops for the rest of the pups life. Also, dry eye (lack of tears) is the most common cause of corneal ulcers. So I wouldn't be so quick to remove the gland. (Because I'm a crazy bullie mama, I got the opinion of my vet and two Ophthalmologists on removal vs tacking.)

Just an FYI, tacking both eyes takes about 15 minutes.
We had the procedure done a week before Tom did it for Zoey, and so far- so good.

Thanks for the advice! I have done a lot of research on it and have spoken with a couple of different vets. We were ensured by one vet who has done hundreds of these surgeries (and did the c-section) that there is only a minimal amount of tear production that comes from that bottom gland. Also, when tacking it down, many times that duct no longer produces tears. Plus, you have IV sedation and it is very common that it will pop back out. The chances of the stitches scratching the eye, etc. makes for even more concern and chances of other issues. We definitely are not making a quick decision on this and we are definitely weighing the pros & cons of each option. We do not have any ophthalmologists anywhere near us and we do trust the advice from the vet who is doing the procedure. Dry eye is somewhat common either way; whether there has been a procedure done or not. This truly is a hard decision to make because, either way, the decision is going to affect them for the rest of their lives (as well as their families). Thank you again; you all are so helpful and I really am glad to have found a place to go to get such awesome support and advice!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.