General Question Need some opinions on Ellie's recent stomach issues

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Lady Ellie Mae McPigglesworth
Where to start? In July, our family grew with the addition of a son via adoption. Basically, Ellie has been fine around him. She'll get on the couch and sniff him, lick him to death, etc. Well in late July/early August, she stopped eating, throwing up, etc. We took her to the vet, had her on medication, got things back on track. Our vet was even in agreement that it could be stress related from the new addition. In between then and now, there have been a couple of 1-2 day stretches of not eating, but no throwing up and things were back to normal. Well over the past week, the no eating and throwing up has been back. Ellie went to the vet Friday, got medication, they put her on a flavor of Purina food for sensitive stomachs that she scarfed down at the vets office (I know, I know....Purina :down:), but if she'll eat it, keep it down, and she improves on it, I'll swallow my desire of her to be on a higher quality food for her health. Her blood work did indicate a possible infection of some kind that they thought was the issue. The weekend went by and she had started to eat and then this morning, she threw up again. She's been drinking water with no issues and has not been dehydrated. I took her back in today for x-rays. No blockages, GI looked normal, but there was some "fuzzyness" around her pancreas. They tested for pancreatitis and that came back normal/negative. The vet recommended picking up some Prilosec for acid and cutting the 20mg tablets in half and giving 10mg a day for a week in addition to the other medications that she's on.

Now then...as we eliminate possible causes (blockages, GI, Pancreas, etc), I keep going back to our adoption in July. Could this all be related to Ellie being the baby and now having to take a back seat to the baby and it just being her nerves/stress? The vet seems to think that the next step would be to try her on, I guess the dog equivalent, of Prozac. I feel that we're doing everything that we can by eliminating things 1 by 1 and we obviously want Ellie to be healthy, but has anyone dealt with similar issues? Any opinions on the situation?

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Has she lost any weight? Aubrey, our bully before Aubie, had problems with eating and throwing up off and on, and it turned out she had an uncommon intestinal problem that went undiagnosed. It didn't show up until the problem itself caused a blockage that showed on an ultrasound. All I can say is try whatever you can to figure out the problem and don't take no for an answer. It could be many things and you just have to narrow it down like you are. If the food works, hey, that's great! Maybe then you can branch out to a somewhat better brand that's for sensitive stomachs.

I wish I could be of more help, but I don't think my experience quite fits yours with Ellie... at least, I really really hope not. It'd be great if our babies could tell us what was wrong, huh?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Bummer I was hoping she was getting better by now :(.

Your description of Ellie sounds so much like my obstruction with Yuna. All tests cme back negative including X-rays. After 2 weeks or so I finally called the vet and told them to cut her open and find the problem. He insisted she did not have an obstruction.

He felt so bad when he found the rubber doughnut in her, especially because I said obstruction fit her symptoms from the very beginning. He was not seeing her at the time. ( he was not in town) but agreed with the other vets tests. He trusted me enough though to know something was very wrong and I knew she was going to die if he didn't cut her open to look at her for himself. Otherwise I don't think she would have had the surgery.

Now on the other hand. [MENTION=959]kazzy220[/MENTION] had the opposite experience, their vet dived in immediately and found nothing.

Remember cloth does not show up in x rays and neither do lightweight rubber doughnuts . The only way to rule out obstruction completely is to do a barium xray.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:

mer55

Community Veteran
Nov 16, 2012
Venice, FL.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jackson, Bogey (granddog) Ruger (granddog)
Just reading through this, and the issues I am going through with Bogey right now- did they do a portalsystemic shunt test? It involves drawing blood before eating and then after and they measure the bile salts. The test takes a few days to come back. This is a birth defect where the liver cannot filter the toxins, especially with high protein diets( like all the good food we like here). It may explain why she did better on the Purina because it is more grain than protein. I can't believe it would be connected to the adoption. bullies are such lovers, and I don't think they care how many skin relatives they have! This is just a thought. You can look up the disease and see if anything sounds worth investigating. The test cost me $135. Waiting on results.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Poor Ellie... I'm so sorry, I don't have any experience with this at all. I agree that whatever food she is tolerating is what you should give her at this point... You KNOW her best, and when you feel something is wrong it's like a mother's sixth sense we just know!!! When we introduced our new grandson to our Bella, she was OVERLY protective of him. Every cry, every whimper she was right there... maybe this is a stress thing. I hope you get this solved soon... keep us posted!!!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just sending hugs and prayers that it turns out to be stress, but listen to those with all the experience and get your girl checked more

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Sending hugs and prayers as I have no experience with this and that is all I can do at this point and pray for a positive outcome!

OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks all. The portalsystemic shunt test is a good idea that I'll have to ask about. They did mention that her liver enzymes were low on her blood work and thought that it was related to her not eating, but it makes a little more sense if the test is the case. We'll see how tonight goes and see if we can get her to eat. I still think it's stress related as before July, she was fine and never had an issue. Then all of a sudden there's a new baby around and these issues pop up. At least, I hope it's only stress related. She still loves on him every chance that we let her, but I can see how going from being the baby to second in line can be stressful.

Last edited:
OP
spork3127

spork3127

Big Easy Brain Drain
Community Veteran
May 13, 2012
Rome, Ga
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, I think we're turning a corner with Ellie. Last night, she seemed to be a little "perkier" and ate about 1/4 cup of food. This morning, she ate almost 1/2 a cup. Well tonight, she gladly accepted pill pockets with her pills inside and polished off about 3/4 of a cup. And the best part is that she hasn't gotten sick since Monday. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but hopefully pill pockets and her normal full cup at both feedings. I hate that she's eating Purina, but hey...if that's what it takes, then I've just got to bite my tongue and go with it.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, I think we're turning a corner with Ellie. Last night, she seemed to be a little "perkier" and ate about 1/4 cup of food. This morning, she ate almost 1/2 a cup. Well tonight, she gladly accepted pill pockets with her pills inside and polished off about 3/4 of a cup. And the best part is that she hasn't gotten sick since Monday. We'll see how tomorrow goes, but hopefully pill pockets and her normal full cup at both feedings. I hate that she's eating Purina, but hey...if that's what it takes, then I've just got to bite my tongue and go with it.

baby steps is better than no steps.... good luck, give her hugs and keep us posted

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.