General Health Concerns for Elvis

elvis1

Oct 25, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Elvis
My 10 year old male is not neutered. The vet is at our home appx once a month and we have spent a large amount of money this past year alone. Typically it's for chronic ear infections. Today it was to have his urine checked because he is peeing in the house nearly 3 times per day on top of his 6-8 trips outside. The vet told me that his prostate is enlarged significantly. We are not financially able to provide him with extensive testing such as ultrasound and/or xrays. Also, his ears have become such a problem, it seems that he is always on some type of antibiotic or steroid. The only way to FIX his ears is to perform surgery to remove the ear canal completely. And now the news of his prostate, I am at a loss of what to do at this point. Any suggestions or help would be great. Thanks, Michele

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:smileywelcome: to EBN Michele & Elvis!!! I'm sorry to hear that you are having issues w/your baby... at 10 years he's not a spring chicken!!! Poor baby... I'm sorry I'm not much help w/older bulldogs, my Bella only lived to be 5 years old. I will tag some members that will be able to give you advice... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION], [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION]

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Poor Elvis I just want to send my best wishes and prayers for him. Others will be here shortly with more experience in this. Good luck with him.

OP
E

elvis1

Oct 25, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Elvis
Thanks for your concerns and so sorry to hear about your baby Bella.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Thanks for your concerns and so sorry to hear about your baby Bella.

Thank you so much!!! Hopefully you will get some answers for your Elvis soon...

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Hi Michelle and welcome to EBN... Great to hear of a 10 yr old boy! So hope you share some pictures with us.

I'd have to ask what are you feeding? As it sounds like Elvis has some type of allergy which is causing the ear infections. You can clean them with Apple cider vinegar to help clear them... not sure how far along the canal damage is, but the ACV will help.

Steriods are great short term, but the mask the issue and do not correct anything, really just a relief of sorts.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I have no experience with this I just wanted to lend my support and prayers.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well it could be the food he is on making his allergies act up giving him the ear infection. Can't the vet give you some meds to help with the prostate problem? I would think he is too old for the surgery,

B

Baxter Tiberius

Finasteride can be prescribed for your pup. Im a little confused why the vet didn't mention this. Maybe there are some other factors I am unaware of. But just like when adult men have BPH (enlarged prostate), finasteride given to us will reduce prostate size safely and without any adverse effects. I actually took Finasteride myself for 3 years to stop my thinning hair.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11330612

If you are unable to get a prescription from your doctor, ask him the reasons why, and if they are valid then okay. If he seems unaware or had't heard of it before, etc ... consider asking another vet who may have better knowledge. There is also dutasteride, which is a bit stronger.

This should address most concerns about potential prostate cancer too.

OP
E

elvis1

Oct 25, 2013
Country
US
Bulldog(s) Names
Elvis
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF THE SUGGESTIONS AND WELL WISHES FOR ELVIS. We have received the results of the blood and urine testing and it showed abnormal cells. The vet told us that all symptoms are pointing toward prostate cancer. He doesn't seem to be in pain but again hard to tell since he sleeps a good portion of the day. Not sure what our next step is but thanks again to everyone.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR ALL OF THE SUGGESTIONS AND WELL WISHES FOR ELVIS. We have received the results of the blood and urine testing and it showed abnormal cells. The vet told us that all symptoms are pointing toward prostate cancer. He doesn't seem to be in pain but again hard to tell since he sleeps a good portion of the day. Not sure what our next step is but thanks again to everyone.

Please keep us posted .... I'll keep your Elvis in my prayers.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.