Allergies Allergies Allergies!

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Hello Bully Freinds!

We have had some issues with the doggies this month! I already posted about Uni's problems. This post is about the poor Boadie. He has been have allergic reactions, all sorts of symptoms. First it started with swollen red feet, then he started to itch. At this point I thought it was a allergic reaction so I started giving benadrly. He has had hives before on him belly but never anything like this. Then he started to itch he's ears. THEN he got infected. We had to take him in to the vet for an bacterial ear infection, it had also spread to his back foot that he was itching he's ear with and a his eye looked inflamed also. So they dealt with the ear infection and sent us home with eye drops, ear drops, and clavamox. On the recheck they gave us some Temaril , a antihistamine and predizone combo. I was giving him very low doses of this and not really seeing any affect in the itchiness or feet licking. I bumped up the dose and he was still itching. I recently weened him off of it and he was still itching. He has also had a pink spot on his face since the infection that never went away. I was cleaning it with peroxide with no effect. Now yesterday I noticed that he has big rashes under his armpits! As well as a bald, pink spot on his chest and a very small one forming on his arm!!!!! At first I thought this one on his chest might be, I was more likely HOPING IT MIGHT be from his color rubbing on his neck. Could this be demodex? Or seasonal alopecia (sp?) ? Could this be the cause of the itchiness? I included some pics. IMG_1418[1].jpgIMG_1417[1].jpgIMG_1420[1].jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I feel I should know this, but what is he eating? How old is he? Have you changd anything in the house... dertergent, food, cleaning product?

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
He is eating Fromm pork and peas. He is two and a half now and no changes except I did change from Fromm Beef fritatta about four months ago. I was thinking I should do a bland diet to see if this could be the problem but the reactions started about two months after the food change. Uni is going to have pallet reduction surgery, so I will do bland diet for both of them after the surgery and see what happens.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The one bald spot could be mange..... has the vet done a skin scrape? I do think it does look like allergies, but that one bald spot doesn't sit will with me.

Also a good allergy shampoo is needed, something to help curb those itchies. The other meds should really be helping if it is allergies.

OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
No we have not had a skin scrapping done. It seems that the Temaril did help the rash on his belly but not the bald spots. But bald spots have developed since he was on the Temaril last. And I don't think he has been on it long enough this time for the effected hair to grow back. I have been giving him low doses for four days now and he does seem less itchy. I just hate to have to give him steroids. I so want to figure out what he is reacting to. Also I have been washing him with a soothing oatmeal shampoo. How often should I be giving him a bath to help with the itch? I usually just give them baths when they need it, about every three weeks.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
No we have not had a skin scrapping done. It seems that the Temaril did help the rash on his belly but not the bald spots. But bald spots have developed since he was on the Temaril last. And I don't think he has been on it long enough this time for the effected hair to grow back. I have been giving him low doses for four days now and he does seem less itchy. I just hate to have to give him steroids. I so want to figure out what he is reacting to. Also I have been washing him with a soothing oatmeal shampoo. How often should I be giving him a bath to help with the itch? I usually just give them baths when they need it, about every three weeks.

30 days after the last dose of steroids, if you want, ask your vet to do a full blood screen allergy test. they are not 100% accurate, but you get a good base line for what to avoid. This is how I was able to work with my guys allergies (chicken, rice, grass, trees, house flies... UGH!)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
House Flies!!!! About how much does allergy test cost?

We did ours 5+ years ago but i am thinking roughly $200??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
Just had allergy tests on my Frenchie/Boston mix out here in Beverly Hills. It was $250 and it also covered blood work. So he had the skin test and blood test.

It was completely worth it as we found out that his allergies were environmental and he is severely allergic to dust mites wool and cats. We have a cat so there isn't much we can do to remove that from his environment but we are now more careful with what they share (beds, water)

Sully is going to be starting allergy shots next week because they found that he isn't producing enough something in his blood to help combat the allergies (sorry a lot of big words were used here when the vet derm was explaining this).

I was given this shampoo by the vet and it has really helped with reducing the redness. When you use it you need to let it soak I to his skin for 5 min before rinsing. You can find it on amazon

jase8e6a.jpg

Good luck! Allergies can be so frustrating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I so want to figure out what he is reacting to. Also I have been washing him with a soothing oatmeal shampoo. How often should I be giving him a bath to help with the itch?

You'd be surprised how many dogs react to oatmeal in shampoos, I'd stop
and see if they do better. While you're reducing itchiness you might bath once
a week or every other week until they are good to go again. Let us know :)

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
With the medicated shampoo our vet gave us, he told us 1x a week for a month but we only used it for two weeks.

On week three Sully had an Allergy/hive outbreak which dried out his skin and made him lose a lot of fur (this was one week before his allergy skin test appt). Since his skin had dried out so much I didn't give him a bath for the next two weeks so his natural oils could help with the dry skin. I don't think the shampoo aided in drying out his skin. I have been using it on my other two dogs because i find it works better than my normal oatmeal shampoo (so much dirt just poor off of them in the bath). Their skin has not dried out.

Sully is now using an anti-bacterial shampoo for the next month that we are suppose to use on him 3-7x a week because his hive outbreak was pretty bad (a lot of infected bumps and sore spots) This is a pic of what he is using now:

heme4yzy.jpg

The first shampoo I posted though was so good at removing the red yeast from
His paws. By the second shower his paws were only a light pink - I think it is just irritation now.

Last edited:
OP
mendomama

mendomama

Aug 28, 2011
Mendocino, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Uni & Boadie
Thank you for all the help! I am planing on an allergy test for Boadie. I feel like I will be able to relax knowing what it is that gets him inflamed. I had no idea dogs could be allergic to cats!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Just had allergy tests on my Frenchie/Boston mix out here in Beverly Hills. It was $250 and it also covered blood work. So he had the skin test and blood test.

It was completely worth it as we found out that his allergies were environmental and he is severely allergic to dust mites wool and cats. We have a cat so there isn't much we can do to remove that from his environment but we are now more careful with what they share (beds, water)

Sully is going to be starting allergy shots next week because they found that he isn't producing enough something in his blood to help combat the allergies (sorry a lot of big words were used here when the vet derm was explaining this).

I was given this shampoo by the vet and it has really helped with reducing the redness. When you use it you need to let it soak I to his skin for 5 min before rinsing. You can find it on amazon

jase8e6a.jpg

Good luck! Allergies can be so frustrating!

OOh, thanks for posting this. I'm always looking at different products for Blue's allergies. Will try this one.

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
OOh, thanks for posting this. I'm always looking at different products for Blue's allergies. Will try this one.

It helped with the itching for about 2 days and it removed a lot of redness and his paws and stomach were less irritated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.