Baxter has Hip Dysplasia and Dislocated Hip. Thanks Breeder!

OP
B

Baxter Tiberius

Because of my paranoia from the initial videos where he was flopping on the ground as a puppy, I have had him on Glucosamine/Chondroitin/MSM since I got him. So Im thankful for that foresight.

I asked the breeder for an X Ray before he even shipped baxter to me because of the video, but he made a big stink about it, so I let it slide. Also, puppies that little are often disjointed so an X ray may not have been relevant at the time.
[MENTION=1999]Valentine[/MENTION] - since you couldn't afford the procedure as soon as he became an adult, what age did you end up doing it?
And when you say he's fine now, does he walk with a limp? Is he able to run and jump and play?
I would ask if he's in any pain but we have no way of knowing.
You're right - they will likely tell me to wait until he's done developing.
I will get it done the second they say its okay.

I really wish they could put his leg back into the joint though.

Part of me wonders if his leg popped out of the joint during the X Ray. Obviously his joints aren't curved so dysplasia is in his future. But when he's on his back with legs spread, his leg sometimes pops out.

I cant imagine he's running, jumping, and playing with a leg not even in the joint.
I guess its possible?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
I'm sorry to hear about Baxter's hips:*( Both our girls have Hip dysplasia, Joey has already had her Femur Head Removal surgery and it went very well:) Boeboe is in for a review of her hips in end of December so we'll see if she needs surgery too. She's now on supplements to help her joints and once in a while she gets pain relief pills if she shows pain. I can't really tell if she's in pain by the way she walks but she gets a bit grumpy if she's uncomfortable and if they've played lots I know why she's a bit difficult.

Apparently here in South Africa you can do hip replacement ops on bulldogs (have heard their joints are different from other breeds so they usually don't do it on Bulldogs) I think they developed a hip replacement fit for bulldogs here at a university... but I can be wrong... my husband and vet talked about it last time we were there but my Afrikaans is a bit dodgy so I could have misunderstood:blush2:

Joey did very well straight after her op, she was up walking and she could do all the normal stuff. I had to keep her still even, it was like the op never happened for the first few days when she was still on pain pills. The recovery also went well, slow walks for just a few minutes at the time. Joey is VERY lazy so luckily that fits her well.

I wish all the best for you and Baxter, I believe it will go well for him:heart:

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Wow, well, this is like reliving what happened to me roughly three years ago. My bully Truman's hip popped out of socket, just like Baxter's, and he was diagnosed with severel hip dysplasia. I will link to the article I wrote on hip dysplasis here. It includes Truman's x-ray and a photo of the way he sat. I was advised to humanely euthanize him by two vets however, I went to an orthopedic surgeon, who helped us. He had surgery to put his hip back in socket and JPS surgery, which fused his public bone to cause his hips to grow in more tightly. I am happy to report that Truman is a happy, healthy 3 year old bully with full mobility.

You are doing the right thing by taking Baxter to an orthopedic surgeon. They will be able to tell you much more and give you a prognosis. I know it stinks but catching it early is really a blessing, because once the arthritis sets in, there's no turning back.

I would also contact the breeder and let him know how severe Baxter's hips are. He might not do anything (our breeder, according to contract, offered to take Truman back to euthanize him and give us a new puppy - of course we refused) but you can at least make some demands and see what happens. I received my money back for Truman with the agreement I was responsible for all his future care and, in the case he was suffering, I would euthanize him.

Please feel free to contact me or post any more specific questions and concerns! Thinking of you guys! xo

Last edited:

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Kevin i am so sorry to hear this. Please find some solace in that Baxter has the best daddy he could possibly have and he knows your love for him isn't going to stop and that you are going to do your best to take care of him. Breeders like this just make my blood boil.

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
OMG this brought tears to my eyes reading this such a heart breaking find. I guess the good new is that at the moment he isn't bothered by it which I guess is a good thing. I have no experience with this but I offer lots of prayers for you and Baxter both

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Kevin, I'm so so very sorry to hear about Baxter!!! My heart just breaks for you, I know how much you care about your baby :*(
Before we bred Bella we made sure that her hips (and the stud's) were okay... I'm so angry that your breeder has done this to you!!! Did he offer to cover any of the expenses of Baxter's care?!!
I agree that you need to get a second opinion on this, and I don't have any other advice to give you except that your EBN family is here for you & Baxter!!! Sending you hugs & prayers... :hug:

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Oh Kevin, I hate seeing this and reading this!!! That X-ray made me cringe!! I am so sorry for both of you. Please keep us updated and you and Baxter will be in my prayers.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I'm so sorry to hear this.

Blue was diagnosed with mild hip dysplasia last month. I asked them to do x-rays while he was under for his cherry eye/palate surgery because I was being cautious, not because he showed any symptoms. In fact, he has full range of motion and no pain. The exam would never have determined he had anything wrong.

I spoke with the Orthopedic Surgeon at the hospital and was told it's very common in bulldogs, so you're not alone. Unfortunately, it usually goes undiagnosed as bullies rarely show signs of pain unless it's very severe. You see this for yourself, Baxter's running around without any problems.

As far as management, in our case just keeping him thin is enough. Since it's a degenerative disease, he'll probably need an anti-inflammatory/pain medication eventually.

There's many ways to manage it, and depending on the age and severity, there can be a lot of options. Speak with a few surgeons, and read everything you can on it before making any decisions.

Good luck, and keep us updated.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and Baxter in my prayers.

fastmatt613

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This!
Community Veteran
Aug 6, 2013
New Jersey
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Rocco
Re: Baxter has Hip Dysplasia and Dislocated Hip.

I'm so sorry to hear this news! I hope everything goes as well as possible and sending thoughts your way Kevin

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Oh man, so sorry ti hear this, poor baby. I'm surprised he doesn't limp, but I guess he is used to it, because it looks like it's been that way for awhile.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
My heart broke for you & Baxter the instant I saw your post
and looked at that horrible x-ray. I loved him from his first pic
you ever posted, Baxter is one of the cutest bullies I've seen.
Then there's his awesome personality...omg! I know Baxter
is blessed having you as Dad and I will keep y'all in prayers.

Kevin, I'm so very sorry...you & Baxter do not deserve this news.
Cami & I send hugs and our love.

RipleyandBentley

May 13, 2013
Brighton, Colorado
Country
Us
Bulldog(s) Names
Ripley Jaxon & Bentley Winston
So sorry to hear about Baxter going through this, I know our hearts ache for whatever we have to endure with our bully babies. My Ripley Jaxon just went through the whole Hip Dysplasia FHO surgery. It was the best thing we could of done for him and to watch him now with his new 'Sea Legs', is absolutely heart warming... Don't lose faith, things will get better and Baxter is so lucky to have you. :rundog::rundog::rundog:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online