Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baxter has Hip Dysplasia and Dislocated Hip. Thanks Breeder!

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Baxter has Hip Dysplasia and Dislocated Hip. Thanks Breeder!

I'm so sorry to hear this. I will keep you and Baxter in my prayers.

Socks Don't Hold Pee.....Trust Me on This! Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Matt
    Country
    United states
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Rocco
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Baxter has Hip Dysplasia and Dislocated Hip.

I'm so sorry to hear this news! I hope everything goes as well as possible and sending thoughts your way Kevin

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Oh man, so sorry ti hear this, poor baby. I'm surprised he doesn't limp, but I guess he is used to it, because it looks like it's been that way for awhile.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

My heart broke for you & Baxter the instant I saw your post
    and looked at that horrible x-ray. I loved him from his first pic
    you ever posted, Baxter is one of the cutest bullies I've seen.
    Then there's his awesome personality...omg! I know Baxter
    is blessed having you as Dad and I will keep y'all in prayers.

Kevin, I'm so very sorry...you & Baxter do not deserve this news.
    Cami & I send hugs and our love.

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

Real Name
    Cyndi
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mayhem
    Likes (Received)

So sorry to hear about Baxter! You both are in our thoughts and prayers

Pooper scooper RipleyandBentley's Avatar
    Real Name
    Julie
    Country
    Us
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Ripley Jaxon & Bentley Winston
    Likes (Received)

So sorry to hear about Baxter going through this, I know our hearts ache for whatever we have to endure with our bully babies. My Ripley Jaxon just went through the whole Hip Dysplasia FHO surgery. It was the best thing we could of done for him and to watch him now with his new 'Sea Legs', is absolutely heart warming... Don't lose faith, things will get better and Baxter is so lucky to have you.
    Ripley and Bentley's mom (Julie)

Baxter Tiberius

Thank you everyone for the kind words. The breeder has been very apologetic and is willing to help. Unfortunately the only thing they can do is offer to send me another puppy free of charge, which isn't an option, but I appreciate the offer. Im not trying to out the breeder with this thread. But I admit there is frustration there. I did ask the breeder for X rays before he sent baxter but he didn't want to do them. Baxter was limping and falling in a video I saw of him as a baby.

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    He had surgery to put his hip back in socket and JPS surgery, which fused his public bone to cause his hips to grow in more tightly.
    @sheshistory - okay this is what I was trying to explain to the veterinarian friend I have.

I wanted the leg put back into the socket at the very least. Quickly.

They said "It will probably just pop back out".

But I can't understand the logic of "Letting him fully develop" for another year, while his leg is completely dislocated the whole time.

If you allow development with something wrong, his rear area will be developed wrong.

So there is a surgery that puts the leg back in socket?

Orthopedic surgeon appointment Saturday morning. I'll update with what I find.

Part of me still wonders if his leg is really out of socket. I know it tends to pop out in certain positions. Maybe it fell out during the X ray, but is fine in normal positions? He runs and jumps well over 8 inches high off of furniture, etc. I can't imagine his bone isn't even in the socket.
    Last edited by Baxter Tiberius; 10-24-2013 at 09:50 PM.

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Baxter Tiberius;421718]Thank you everyone for the kind words. The breeder has been very apologetic and is willing to help. Unfortunately the only thing they can do is offer to send me another puppy free of charge, which isn't an option, but I appreciate the offer. Im not trying to out the breeder with this thread. But I admit there is frustration there. I did ask the breeder for X rays before he sent baxter but he didn't want to do them. Baxter was limping and falling in a video I saw of him as a baby.

Why can't he refund Baxter's initial cost to you (he should cover half of surgery
    too since he SHOULD have x-rayed as you requested). Makes me wonder if he
    knew there were problems, maybe with Mom and/or Dad even. Just a horror!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Thank you everyone for the kind words. The breeder has been very apologetic and is willing to help. Unfortunately the only thing they can do is offer to send me another puppy free of charge, which isn't an option, but I appreciate the offer. Im not trying to out the breeder with this thread. But I admit there is frustration there. I did ask the breeder for X rays before he sent baxter but he didn't want to do them. Baxter was limping and falling in a video I saw of him as a baby.

@sheshistory - okay this is what I was trying to explain to the veterinarian friend I have.

I wanted the leg put back into the socket at the very least. Quickly.

They said "It will probably just pop back out".

But I can't understand the logic of "Letting him fully develop" for another year, while his leg is completely dislocated the whole time.

If you allow development with something wrong, his rear area will be developed wrong.

So there is a surgery that puts the leg back in socket?

Orthopedic surgeon appointment Saturday morning. I'll update with what I find.

Part of me still wonders if his leg is really out of socket. I know it tends to pop out in certain positions. Maybe it fell out during the X ray, but is fine in normal positions? He runs and jumps well over 8 inches high off of furniture, etc. I can't imagine his bone isn't even in the socket.
    I don't blame you! Baxter is running around with a dislocated hip and THAT is painful! YES, you most certainly CAN put it back in socket. Basically, we had Truman in for a FHO and our surgeon thought it would be better to have surgery to insert the hip back into the socket - called a "open reduction" (a closed reduction is is when they manipulate it back into place from the outside). She put a stretchy stitch (not the medical term) over the socket to allow the bone to grow but also encourage the hip to stay in socket. We had a limit his activity during this time and there was a chance that it would pop out again - but it didn't. Truman's procedures were the only ones he's ever had to undergo to treat his hip, and it's been three years.

To answer your question, in the x-ray, the hip is definitely out of socket but it probably pops back in and back out depending on what Baxter is doing - I know Truman's did - but this is what causes the crippling arthritis that cannot be corrected. That continued motion would eventually grind down all the cartilidge, and then the bone and cause a permanent disability, which is why it is a blessing (in a way) you caught this when you did. Also, remember, bullies are very resilient and tend not to show pain until they cannot bear it!

How old is Baxter? He might be a candidate for JPS surgery, if he's young enough and still had growing to do. That is very non-invasive and a good companion to the open reduction, if you go that route.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Remove Ads