Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 26

Thread: Urinary Tract Infection?

  1. #1
    Pooper scooper SamiSalo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Salo
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Urinary Tract Infection?

    Hi,

    Salo was sick recently, food, possibly the ice cream he got on his bday, prescribed 2 antibiotics. While on the meds, he was having accidents daily. Seems like he can't hold it for as long as he used to. He often tries to pee and nada comes out. No trees or bushes, so its not a marking deal.

    He's active, eating, and more rambunctious than ever before if you can believe that. Plan was to give it a few days before seeing the vet because he'll probably just prescribe another antibiotic. He eats 1-2 spoons of probiotic yogurt with every meal. Trying cranberry extract pills but we're batting .500 on those because he's not a fan. Picked up probiotic pills for people today, haven't given him any yet. What else... I put ACV in every meal.

    Suggestions? Shut up and go see the vet? He finished the 2 antibiotics this past weekend.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,203
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2743

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Salo could still have infection (those particular anti's aren't effective???).

    He may be too sensitive to dairy and needs to avoid cheese, yogurt, ice cream,
    etc so may need other probiotics than yogurt form. Because of the multiple
    antibiotics he does need rebuilding of his healthy gut bacteria back. Google
    holistic & natural ways to do this. Good luck and let us know, GOD bless!


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  3. #3
    Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Manydogs's Avatar
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    10,652
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)
    6688

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    One of your sentences says "he often tries to pee, and nothing comes out". If that is what is happening, he needs to go to the vet. If he can not pee, he could have a blockage-stones in urethra, or a swelling due to Uti. Do not waste time getting to vet if he can not pee. It could do serious damage.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

  4. #4
    Pooper scooper SamiSalo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Salo
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    One of your sentences says "he often tries to pee, and nothing comes out". If that is what is happening, he needs to go to the vet. If he can not pee, he could have a blockage-stones in urethra, or a swelling due to Uti. Do not waste time getting to vet if he can not pee. It could do serious damage.
    He can pee. My concern, he tries to pee a lot more than he used to. If he's at a tree, I write it off to marking. When there aren't any trees or bushes around, he squats often. Sometimes a drip or two comes out. Most of the time, nada comes out. First thing in the morning or soon after drinking water, he can pee no problem.

    I stopped giving him yogurt last night. He's not swallowing the cranberry pills anymore.

  5. #5
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2119

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Hi, I agree with Carol, the dairy may be making him sick, or upsetting his stomach, yogurt is usually okay, but dairy products such as milk, Ice Cream, and cheese can cause stomach problems and diarrhea, and some dogs don't digest these very well. The antibiotics and medications can cause problems as well. What's type of medication is he on besides the antibiotics? Some medications can cause frequent peeing, or cause more thirst, maybe he is drinking more water due to the medication, and this is causing him to have to pee more. It still could be a UTI, even if he's been on antibiotics, as it may be a different strain of bacteria in the urinary tract, than what the medication was prescribed for. Last year I myself had a UTI, I went to the doctor, and he prescribed me an antibiotic, based on the strip test they did at the clinic that showed I had an infection due to white blood cells in the urine. They also send out the sample for a 3 day bacteria culture, and they called me back to tell me I was on the wrong medication, and needed to change my antibiotic to a different one. Maybe he's on the wrong antibiotic.

    I also give my guys a cranberry pill everyday, but I don't give them the pill. I open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on their kibble, and they just eat it. I find it easier than trying to get them to swallow a pill. You might try doing this if he won't swallow the pill. You can also try the probiotic pills, if yogurt is causing him problems, although yogurt isn't usually a problem as it is different than dairy products. Good luck I trying to figure out what causing his troubles, and I hope Salo feels better soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  6. #6
    Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    RiiSi's Avatar
    Real Name
    Riikka
    Country
    Finland
    Location
    Sysmä
    Posts
    4,709
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Voitto, Taisto, Kylli and Angel-Usko
    Likes (Received)
    2626

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    In my opinion he needs to see the vet right away. Bulldogs can have the same genetic defect as most dalmatians do, they can develope urate bladder stones, it's called Hyperuricosuria, you can google canine hyperuricosuria for more info. And how do I know??? My older bully Usko has this genetic defect and has had bladder stones surgically removed. First he also wasn't able to pass all the urine and before the surgery he was peeing a tea spoon of urine every 10 minutes and that is already very painfull and dangerous conditon. I strongly advice you not to give him cranberry or ACV as they will make it worse. They will only make his urine more acidic and urate stones are formed in acidic urine.
    Last edited by RiiSi; 10-23-2013 at 12:19 PM.

  7. #7
    Pooper scooper SamiSalo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Salo
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Quote Originally Posted by Vikinggirl View Post
    Hi, I agree with Carol, the dairy may be making him sick, or upsetting his stomach, yogurt is usually okay, but dairy products such as milk, Ice Cream, and cheese can cause stomach problems and diarrhea, and some dogs don't digest these very well. The antibiotics and medications can cause problems as well. What's type of medication is he on besides the antibiotics? Some medications can cause frequent peeing, or cause more thirst, maybe he is drinking more water due to the medication, and this is causing him to have to pee more. It still could be a UTI, even if he's been on antibiotics, as it may be a different strain of bacteria in the urinary tract, than what the medication was prescribed for. Last year I myself had a UTI, I went to the doctor, and he prescribed me an antibiotic, based on the strip test they did at the clinic that showed I had an infection due to white blood cells in the urine. They also send out the sample for a 3 day bacteria culture, and they called me back to tell me I was on the wrong medication, and needed to change my antibiotic to a different one. Maybe he's on the wrong antibiotic.

    I also give my guys a cranberry pill everyday, but I don't give them the pill. I open the capsule and sprinkle the powder on their kibble, and they just eat it. I find it easier than trying to get them to swallow a pill. You might try doing this if he won't swallow the pill. You can also try the probiotic pills, if yogurt is causing him problems, although yogurt isn't usually a problem as it is different than dairy products. Good luck I trying to figure out what causing his troubles, and I hope Salo feels better soon. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
    Submitted a urine sample today. Results tomorrow. Vet told me I should never give him anything besides food. Medicated food because it contains everything I'll ever need. Apparently ACV can cause stones and I should never give him anything unless its needed. So much for preventative maintenance and natural solutions. Yogurt, ACV, Cranberry, Salmon Oil, everything I do comes from what I've learned and read on the net and forums like this. Very frustrating! I did give him one human grade probiotic pill.

    I dunno what else to say. He squats 20 - 30 times a day. Some are legit pees. The rest, either drops or nada at all. I'm not counting the times he's on a bush or next to a tree. Vet thinks its normal, hormones, because he's not fixed (he's 7 months). He thinks its a coincidence it happened right after he got sick.

  8. #8
    Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Texas Carol's Avatar
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    7,203
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)
    2743

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Quote Originally Posted by SamiSalo View Post
    Submitted a urine sample today. Results tomorrow. Vet told me I should never give him anything besides food. Medicated food because it contains everything I'll ever need. Apparently ACV can cause stones and I should never give him anything unless its needed. So much for preventative maintenance and natural solutions. Yogurt, ACV, Cranberry, Salmon Oil, everything I do comes from what I've learned and read on the net and forums like this. Very frustrating! I did give him one human grade probiotic pill.

    I dunno what else to say. He squats 20 - 30 times a day. Some are legit pees. The rest, either drops or nada at all. I'm not counting the times he's on a bush or next to a tree. Vet thinks its normal, hormones, because he's not fixed (he's 7 months). He thinks its a coincidence it happened right after he got sick.
    Completely understand your feelings of frustration right now and also,
    feel your worry & sadness for Salo. Let's wait until you get urine tests
    and vet's opinion & recomendations before more advice/guessing. I'm
    concerned that your vet thinks Salo's hormones are the cause...IMHO,
    NO! These things you are doing/giving to Salo all great help for normal
    & healthy FUNCTIONING system, if not then could cause problems so,
    let's see what Salo's dx is. Praying over him and for you~try to rest.


    My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

  9. #9
    Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Davidh's Avatar
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Katy, Texas
    Posts
    13,247
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)
    1557

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    I'm curious as to what the test will say. Let us know.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie


  10. #10
    Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Vikinggirl's Avatar
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Burlington, ON Canada
    Posts
    9,642
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)
    2119

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    I agree with Carol and David, to wait for the test results, so you can make a more informed decision on how to treat him.
    I don't necessarily agree with your vet regarding not giving Salo preventative or natural supplements and treats, as yogurt, ACV, salmon oil, cranberry pills, Chondroitin, and fruits and vegetables are all natural and certainly will not hurt him, most supplements that are safe and healthy for humans are also safe for our dogs, and can prevent so many ailments and diseases. I have done a lot of reading and research regarding dog foods, nutrition, and vets, and I have found that just like our medical doctors, their education is spent mostly learning about diagnosing, preventing, and treating diseases, and not very much time is spent on Nutrition, they only study a small chapter on this subject, so don't really know that much about food and nutrition. I also found out that the foods the vets sell in their offices are provided by the pet food companies, and the vets receive a kickback for selling and promoting these dog foods. The breeder I bought my 2 EB from, was feeding them Royal Canin, and he gave me two containers full of this brand along with some toys, and coupons for $ off the food, it was provided by the dog food company. I asked him if it was a good food, and he assured me it was a high quality food. When I asked my vet the same question she told me it was an excellent food, and she sells Royal Canin food in her office. I still wasn't happy with the food, due to the fillers and Corn, in the ingredients, and when I researched dog foods, that is when I found EBN and the dog food ratings, and found that Royal Canin is rated a 3 star food, and isn't considered very good. Blossom ended up being sensitive or allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, she was having diarrhea, pink skin, pink warm ears, chin rash, itchy, and licking her paws. I switched her food 4 times before trying Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they have been on this food for 14 months, and are both doing well on it.
    Last edited by Vikinggirl; 10-26-2013 at 02:02 AM.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

  11. #11
    I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    2BullyMama's Avatar
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Location
    Gilbertsville, PA
    Posts
    40,196
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    11538

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Interesting... hope it turns out to be nothing wrong, but I will be watching for test results.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

    Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings




  12. #12
    Pooper scooper SamiSalo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    47
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Salo
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Default Re: Urinary Tract Infection?

    Quote Originally Posted by 2BullyMama View Post
    Interesting... hope it turns out to be nothing wrong, but I will be watching for test results.
    Test came back almost ok - normal but the sample contained some blood cells. Vet told me to go back tomorrow night for an xray if the issue continues. He's still peeing fine. He still squats often. Today, normal pees and droplets.

    I'll make a judgement call tomorrow I guess. Or hold off a little longer. He's had 3 xrays various things in the 4 months I've had him. Not sure if that's too much? Not sure if I should ever give him yogurt or ACV again either? Not sure about anything anymore!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •