RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I have no idea why the vet would wan't to take X-rays, it's really a good idea to hold them of. X-rays don't really show soft tissue or stones if he has them, ultrasound will. Has he had any blood tests done?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
I have no idea why the vet would wan't to take X-rays, it's really a good idea to hold them of. X-rays don't really show soft tissue or stones if he has them, ultrasound will. Has he had any blood tests done?

Isn't it safe to say he doesn't have stones because he's peeing? He doesn't look like he's in pain. No blood tests. Just urine, and it contained some blood cells. Vet wasn't concerned though.

What do you think? He's a weird dog who likes to mark out in the open? Or he tries to pee because he has the urge to?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Isn't it safe to say he doesn't have stones because he's peeing? He doesn't look like he's in pain. No blood tests. Just urine, and it contained some blood cells. Vet wasn't concerned though.

What do you think? He's a weird dog who likes to mark out in the open? Or he tries to pee because he has the urge to?

I can only tell you my experience with a kidney stone and it's that I was peeing,
having no pain, etc...went to bed, woke up at 5 am extremely uncomfortable
which progressed to screaming pain. My Dr took x-rays which showed nothing,
dxed a UTI and sent me home w/antibiotic even tho I was vomiting in his office
and lying on his floor. An hour later (at home) Hubby threw a robe over me (in
my gown) and took me to ER. They found a stone that had gotten stuck & too
big to pass. Scheduled surgery, when I came to, my surgeon said I was full of
infection and all he could do was clean as much out as possible and schedule
surgery after I healed of infection. I was in ICU with SEPTIS for a week, I'm
diabetic and they really didn't think I was going to make it and when it seemed
I would, they said I'd have kidney damage. GOD is in charge so I lived and my
kidneys are fine :)

Just because he's peeing and showing no sign of pain DOES NOT mean he's
fine. All we can do is advise you and you've gotten expert advice so now, it's
on you as to what you decide to do for him. GOD bless, I'm praying for Salo.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I agree with Carol and David, to wait for the test results, so you can make a more I formed decision on how to treat him.
I don't necessarily agree with your vet regarding not giving Salo preventative or natural supplements and treats, as yogurt, ACV, salmon oil, cranberry pills, Chondroitin, and fruits and vegetables are all natural and certainly will not hurt him, most supplements that are safe and healthy for humans are also safe for our dogs, and can prevent so many ailments and diseases. I have done a lot of reading and research regarding dog foods, nutrition, and vets, and I have found that just like our medical doctors, their education is spent mostly learning about diagnosing, preventing, and treating diseases, and not very much time is spent on Nutrition, they only study a small chapter on this subject, so don't really know that much about food and nutrition. I also found out that the foods the vets sell in their offices are provided by the pet food companies, and the vets receive a kickback for selling and promoting these dog foods. The breeder I bought my 2 EB from, was feeding them Royal Canin, and he gave me two containers full of this brand along with some toys, and coupons for $ off the food, it was provided by the dog food company. I asked him if it was a good food, and he assured me it was a high quality food. When I asked my vet the same question she told me it was an excellent food, and she sells Royal Canin food in her office. I still wasn't happy with the food, due to the fillers and Corn, in the ingredients, and when I researched dog foods, that is when I found EBN and the dog food ratings, and found theat Royal Canin is rated a 3 star food, and isn't considered very good. Blossom ended up being sensitive or allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, she was having diarrhea, pink skin, pink warm ears, chin rash, itchy, and licking her paws. I switched her food 4 times before trying Fromm's Beef Frittata, and they have been on this food for 14 months, and are both doing well on it.

:goodpost:

From your description it sounds like a UTI or stones, or a UTI that caused stones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
He could have stones, but there just isn't a full blockage or he could have some other problems with his anatomy that causes this, or he just could be a weird one, but in my opinion he needs more testing before we can safely put him in the weird category....

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
He could have stones, but there just isn't a full blockage or he could have some other problems with his anatomy that causes this, or he just could be a weird one, but in my opinion he needs more testing before we can safely put him in the weird category....

Saw another vet yesterday. She made a good point - his undescended testicle might have something to do with this. We're doing an ultrasound soon, see how that goes.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo

Ultrasound revealed a kidney stone and some sand. They took a urine sample and ordered more testing – analysis to look for an infection and culture to determine if the sand is crystal and what kind.

Meantime, they’re recommending he drink lots of water, eat canned/wet food (more water), and I wash his water bowl with a broth of the same protein found in his food. Basically, he needs to pee lots. Apparently sometimes crystals can be pee’d out. Others, a special (medicated) diet is needed to dilute it. Worse case, when he’s neutered, they go into his bladder and take it out. He’ll be under anyway so…

Keep in mind this opinion is preliminary. A full meal deal report from the ultrasound dude is expected soon. When that happens, I’ll be called in for chat.

I asked if there's anything I did to cause this or could've done to prevent this. They said no, its just a result of his digestive system and thats it.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Thank you, great job reporting back on Salo, so worried about him
and I bet you're relieved to have a clue and know he has issues, not
excessive marking.
@RiiSi...what do you think?

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
Thank you, great job reporting back on Salo, so worried about him
and I bet you're relieved to have a clue and know he has issues, not
excessive marking.
@RiiSi...what do you think?

Yes and no. I'm glad I went elsewhere for a second opinion but the last thing I want is more meds. I'm hoping for a holistic solution.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
At this point the most important thing is to wait for the results of the tests. What kind of stone/sand it is determines the future plan of action. My boy has defected HUU-gene that causes hyperuricosuria and it can cause stones in the bladder as well as in the kidneys. This condition doesn't necessarily require medication. There is good chance it can be managed with proper nutrition. But if the stone is the kind that doesn't dissolve, operation is needed. But in a way that's better, you sort of "start from a clean table". The nutrition that dissolves stones is really quite poor and can cause other problems and some type of stones can not dissolve. Hang in there!

Yes and no. I'm glad I went elsewhere for a second opinion but the last thing I want is more meds. I'm hoping for a holistic solution.

OP
SamiSalo

SamiSalo

Aug 15, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Salo
At this point the most important thing is to wait for the results of the tests. What kind of stone/sand it is determines the future plan of action. My boy has defected HUU-gene that causes hyperuricosuria and it can cause stones in the bladder as well as in the kidneys. This condition doesn't necessarily require medication. There is good chance it can be managed with proper nutrition. But if the stone is the kind that doesn't dissolve, operation is needed. But in a way that's better, you sort of "start from a clean table". The nutrition that dissolves stones is really quite poor and can cause other problems and some type of stones can not dissolve. Hang in there!

UTI confirmed. Its an infection, e coli and something else I can't pronounce. Salo is on antibiotics for 2 weeks and getting his urine tested again in 10 days to see if the meds are working. As for the stone, the plan is to leave it and do another ultra sound in the future to see if that situation improves.

They're not sure if the infection came from the crystals/sand in the bladder. Vet is giong to deal with that later, after the infection is resolved.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.