Stenotic Nasal Repair/ Soft Palate Removal ?

wgwe5

Jun 12, 2013
West Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer aka "Fat Boy"
We had a big scare this weekend with my boy Dozer. I had boarded him with our vet's office while we were gone for a couple days like we have always done in the past and we nearly lost him. Dozer had gotten "worked up" sometime during the second day of his stay and was really struggling to breathe. The harder he tried to breath the more panicked he became and the vet was afraid he wouldn't be able to recover without some help, so put him under anesthesia, got him stable and woke him up slowly. After his examination he determined Dozer's soft palate was inflamed and was contributing to his breathing problems. He has recommended that Dozer has surgery for soft palate removal and stenotic nasal repair. Has anyone here ever dealt with this? How successful was it ?

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
I am no help on this one but I know that others on here have had experience. I hope that you get the answers your looking for and everything turns out OK :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I have no experience either, but I have known others to try a steroid treatment first to see if the pallet was just inflamed due to stress. Scary that he had to put him under just to get him to calm. Poor baby :( It may be worth it to get it done to have peace of mind so it does not happen again. I do know laser heals faster.
[MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] just had this done on her Frenchie so I am sure she can give you some insight :)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no experience w/this as well... just sending you hugs, I can't imagine how scary that was to hear. I hope that Dozer is doing okay & you find some answers soon!!!

OP
wgwe5

wgwe5

Jun 12, 2013
West Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer aka "Fat Boy"
He was given steroid treatment for inflammation and the plan is when that is in check we will go through with the procedure in the next few days. My vet did say that the nasal procedure would be done with a laser.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He was given steroid treatment for inflammation and the plan is when that is in check we will go through with the procedure in the next few days. My vet did say that the nasal procedure would be done with a laser.

Yes, had this done fir my male EB, Nitschke and my male Frenchie, Chelios. Both had bad apnea and issues breathing. It is a very common surgery, but be sure your vet has experience with the procedure. The recuperation takes about 3 to 4 weeks... No barking if possible as it can cause scar tissue to form and soft/bland diet for at least five days. Do you have any specific questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
wgwe5

wgwe5

Jun 12, 2013
West Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer aka "Fat Boy"
Yes, had this done fir my male EB, Nitschke and my male Frenchie, Chelios. Both had bad apnea and issues breathing. It is a very common surgery, but be sure your vet has experience with the procedure. The recuperation takes about 3 to 4 weeks... No barking if possible as it can cause scar tissue to form and soft/bland diet for at least five days. Do you have any specific questions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
What did you feed your dogs for the "soft/bland" diet?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What did you feed your dogs for the "soft/bland" diet?

Ground turkey and rice for Frenchie.... And ground beef and egg noodles for Nitschke (rice allergy)

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
we had a very successful palate and nares surgery with Lola. it is good that your vet looked to see if it was an issue and now you know. its frightening to watch your love struggle to breathe, we even saw Lolas tongue turn blue once. recovery is not as bad as one would think. :)
we feed Lola raw beef Patties from nvi, as that was one of her meals before surgery anyways. and baked tilapia and white rice for breakfast
Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your help! How did your dog's do after recovery?

Both did awesome after, especially Nitschke, he was like a puppy with energy level. Cheli, had to have it done a second time just two weeks ago due to scar tissue building/growing ... He is 100% back to normal already

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
OP
wgwe5

wgwe5

Jun 12, 2013
West Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer aka "Fat Boy"
Thanks everyone for the input and concern. I feel better about it already.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.