Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick puppy

Feed Store Operator Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Princess Alberta (Bertie) Barkghesi
    Likes (Received)

Default Sick puppy

Well, It's been exactly one week since I got Bertie and she is still kind of sick. When I got her they said she just finished 7 days of antibiotics for a cough/congestion. I took her to the vet here and they put her on a stronger antibiotic for 7 days. she will be finished with them on Monday, but she doesn't seem to be getting any better. She is no worse, but not better either. I have been running a humidifier for about 15 minutes at night to see if it helps any. She did cough up so phlegm yesterday, so I think that is a good sign. She is eating and drinking normally and is still very active. It seems like it gets worse after she wants to run and play with my cocker spaniel. I put her in her crate for a time out and she doesn't cough hardly at all when she is in the crate.

Any suggestions on what to do? If she seems to start getting worse, I will take her to the vet again...but right now it is the same as it has been since last week.

Oh no! Did you get her from a pet store? She probably has kennel cough. If the vet gave her something stronger, hopefully it will help. I would keep her away from your cocker spaniel, because if it is kennel cough it is very contagious.

Kennel Cleaner Jefferson bulldogs's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
    Likes (Received)

Kennel cough is the same as the human cold. It will pass as long as she is eating and drinking normally I wouldnt worry too much but I would keep the humidifier running through the night for her. That will losen up the phlem.
    JEFFERSON

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson bulldogs View Post
    Kennel cough is the same as the human cold. It will pass as long as she is eating and drinking normally I wouldnt worry too much but I would keep the humidifier running through the night for her. That will losen up the phlem.
    I'm using a warm steam humidifier...I'll try leaving it running tonight and see if it helps. Like I said, you would never know she is sick the way she is acting.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by comanoliv View Post
    Oh no! Did you get her from a pet store? She probably has kennel cough. If the vet gave her something stronger, hopefully it will help. I would keep her away from your cocker spaniel, because if it is kennel cough it is very contagious.
    No, I didn't get her from a pet shop. I got her from a vet when she was 12 weeks old. Her and her brothers and mother were abandoned there. I guess with the economy they couldn't afford to pay for the mothers c section.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Olaf & Ivana
    Likes (Received)

Olaf got kennel cough around 4 months old and I was very conerned too! His nose was running green stuff and he was running a temp! I checked it constantly and took him to the vet for antibiotics too. Unfortanetly all the other dogs in house got it too and had to pay for it but it did clear up! Takes about 2 weeks to really go away...sorry to hear that and hopefully the cocker doesn't get it! I remember sitting Olaf in on floor and running to shower for a "humidifier." Just keep an eye on her =^)

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Thank you, I will. I have been watching her very closely. My cocker seems to be fine. He has had his kennel cough vaccine, so hopefully he will not get it. Bertie has 2 more days of antibiotics left. I am going to run the humidifier all night and see if that helps.

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by reallyrob View Post
    No, I didn't get her from a pet shop. I got her from a vet when she was 12 weeks old. Her and her brothers and mother were abandoned there. I guess with the economy they couldn't afford to pay for the mothers c section.

I cannot even imagine giving up the mother and her pups!!! Did they abandon the mom too? That is just so horrible. I know you posted that in another thread but I still cannot get over it... Sorry!

Sounds like you are doing what you can for now, keep us posted on her progress!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I ran the humidifier all night like Jefferson suggested. She coughed up some phlegm today....it was white, not yellow, so I think she is getting better. She doesn't seem to be coughing as much. Like I said...she doesn't act sick at all. Hopefully it is almost done running its course.

Kennel Cleaner Jefferson bulldogs's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    IZA Diva & Lots 'O Dots
    Likes (Received)

Thats great!!!
    JEFFERSON

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

good to hear! Pls give us an update tomorrow!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

Will do. I have been running the humidifier today everytime she is in her crate for quiet time. It does seem to be helping.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads