Need help with flea n tick meds

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
So 3 weeks ago I applied Porkys advantage like I do every month only this month she started acting weird we'd touch her shed cringe forget petting her well I noticed her "slick" spot from the med hadnt gone away after a week so I held her down n spread the hair n noticed her skin there was bright red n she was trying to itch like crazy so immediately it was to the tub with the dawn!!!!! Frontline does NOT work on her a week later she's full of fleas n she was on frontline when I found the tick :( last time!!!! Well wouldn't ya know less than a week after I washed the advantage off n she had another tick n her hinny is full of fleas :/ she has a vet appointment Tuesday to recheck her eye so I want to talk to him about flea meds but what does everyone else use??? I brush her with a flea brush twice a day to try to keep them at bay but she's not a fan n a 60 lb bulldog as we all know doesn't usually do what they don't want to do lol I feel like I'm in a rodeo trying to brush her!!!! N I think the fleas are causing her stress bcuz now she has 2 cysts n her nose is horrible :/ poor thing so it's listerine n panalog I guess!!!!

wvlady1965

Mar 28, 2013
West Virginia
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
JDAM (deceased) and Legend and Harley
I use Comfortis on my dogs. It's a monthly pill they take. I haven't had any bad issues with it and best of all it can't be washed off and I never have problems with fleas.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I use Frontline on all of my dogs, and I've never had an issue... We also get our yard treated several times a year to keep them away from the house. Sorry you are having issues, hopefully there are other options for you!!!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I use Advantage II and never had a problem. Is it the same as Advantage?
I tried Frontline once, but Blue had a horrible reaction so stayed away from it ever since.

I know some here use Sentinel for heartworm and fleas @Davidh

Last edited:

nubonics

Sep 24, 2013
Colorado
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Curly
We use comfortis too. My vet recently switched us and said that many fleas and ticks have built a resistance to the over the counter meds such as advantage and frontline. I do like comfortis better than the topical drugs because there is a less of a chance if ingestion with the topical drugs (my dogs like to rough house).

The only side effect that we have with one of the three is that it makes one of them sick if we give the whole pill at once, so we split the pill in half and give it to him two separate times during in the day with his food.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
We use Revolution on our two guys. It treats fleas, ticks, and heartworm. We use it once a month between June and October. We've never seen a flea on them. If you are having problems with the fleas coming back, sometimes you have to kill the cycle of fleas. Wash all their bedding in hot soapy water, you also have to treat the house, as fleas can live in the carpets, and other areas of the house, and like Tracey said treating your yard also to kill the fleas and their eggs. I hope you find something that works for you.

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Make sure and have the yard treated. Unfortunately if you have fleas in your yard, no matter how many times you treat your dog, it will usually still pick something up. (Those stinking fleas can always find a spot...hate those little things). I use a lemon juice and water spray on our dogs to keep fleas at bay and it has worked thus far. We got the holistic route on that one because I've seen so many dogs have flare ups with the topic meds.

OP
porkysmamma

porkysmamma

Jun 21, 2012
Warrensburg, New York
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Porkchop aka Porky
Make sure and have the yard treated. Unfortunately if you have fleas in your yard, no matter how many times you treat your dog, it will usually still pick something up. (Those stinking fleas can always find a spot...hate those little things). I use a lemon juice and water spray on our dogs to keep fleas at bay and it has worked thus far. We got the holistic route on that one because I've seen so many dogs have flare ups with the topic meds.

Lol idk if that'll work we live in the woods n have well over an acre of property :( I did get a new topical flea n tick med called activyl listening to the vet n reading reviews online I'm hopefully optimistic :)!!!!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
Oh man...yea that would be hard to treat a wooded area. Well, I hope you find something that works anyhow :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.