cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Well, today Tate got weighed in at the Vet's office and after several weeks of what I thought was healthy eating, my baby is now over 70 lbs! :ohmy: When he was around 64 lbs, the vet wanted him to get down to 60 or below. That was back in March sometime. Then there's Finn. My "little" boy has now hit the 60 lb mark! He used to be a trim 55 lbs, then 57 lbs a couple weeks ago.

For the obvious health reasons and b/c my vet recommends it, I'd really like their weight to go down. I think for Tate it would be more realistic to be in the mid 60 lb range and for Finn, mid 50's.
I'm just not really sure where to start cutting back. I admit to showering them with treats several times a day when I'm at home and then there's dessert almost every night (a little vanilla ice cream mixed with pumpkin and plain yogurt). I suppose i could cut back on those...I think this is going to be harder on me than them b/c I just hate depriving them of goodies and they so love to eat! :gimmefood:

If anyone can share some successful weight loss tips for bullies I would appreciate it! :)

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
I'd love to hear those bully weight loss tips too! Dudley is 80 lbs or so..I'd like him to be between 70 and 75lbs! I try NOT to give the treats -- oh and he HATES frozen green beans -- but the whining and crying drives me crazy. He whined the other night for 40 minutes! I thought I would go out of my mind!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just cut back a little on their food, treats and dessert and you will get that weight off in no time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Well, today Tate got weighed in at the Vet's office and after several weeks of what I thought was healthy eating, my baby is now over 70 lbs! :ohmy: When he was around 64 lbs, the vet wanted him to get down to 60 or below. That was back in March sometime. Then there's Finn. My "little" boy has now hit the 60 lb mark! He used to be a trim 55 lbs, then 57 lbs a couple weeks ago.

For the obvious health reasons and b/c my vet recommends it, I'd really like their weight to go down. I think for Tate it would be more realistic to be in the mid 60 lb range and for Finn, mid 50's.
I'm just not really sure where to start cutting back. I admit to showering them with treats several times a day when I'm at home and then there's dessert almost every night (a little vanilla ice cream mixed with pumpkin and plain yogurt). I suppose i could cut back on those...I think this is going to be harder on me than them b/c I just hate depriving them of goodies and they so love to eat! :gimmefood:

If anyone can share some successful weight loss tips for bullies I would appreciate it! :)

YIKES.... cut out the ice cream/pumpkin EVERY night... make it a weekly treat and maybe trim back the food and give a filler (green beans, maybe)

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'd love to hear those bully weight loss tips too! Dudley is 80 lbs or so..I'd like him to be between 70 and 75lbs! I try NOT to give the treats -- oh and he HATES frozen green beans -- but the whining and crying drives me crazy. He whined the other night for 40 minutes! I thought I would go out of my mind!

You too?! I thought i was the only one here who just cannot resist giving treats especially when they look at you with those eyes that say, "I'm hungry, mommy"...

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
You too?! I thought i was the only one here who just cannot resist giving treats especially when they look at you with those eyes that say, "I'm hungry, mommy"...

I'm a total wimp when it comes to him. And I try so hard because I know it's not good...but that face...and that whining...like he's saying "please Mommy, please!!!" I'm a bad mommy!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Well, this evening there will be no dessert. I'm just telling the boys that Aunt Christine, and Uncles David and Phil are meanies and said NO MORE DESSERT! :nono:
Instead, after dinner we are playing and running around. [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] , @Davidh, @pdolphin27

Also...I just put Tate in his Halloween outfit for the first time since we have the costume parade tomorrow for SCBR and guess what? it doesn't fit him around the neck! :ashamed: It's an XXL too. I'm going to put him in last year's pumpkin tee shirt instead. It's kind of tight on him but it will show off those muscles!

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm a total wimp when it comes to him. And I try so hard because I know it's not good...but that face...and that whining...like he's saying "please Mommy, please!!!" I'm a bad mommy!

I'm a wimp too...We need to start our own support group for this :blush2:

OP
cali baker

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
That's good, [MENTION=5232]DudleysMom[/MENTION]! Increased physical activity and then cutting out a snack here and there will be healthy ways to get some weight off our bullies. Nothing drastic, just small steps!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
That's OK Henny [MENTION=1904]cali baker[/MENTION] I'll be the bad guy, just tell him it's for his own good and that I love him. :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
When Mandy was a sausage I put 1/2 c frozen green beans in place of kibble, and the weight literally fell off her.

Sorry that won't help Dudley but maybe he will start to like them if he has no other alternative? But I bet Tate and Finn will go for it :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh NO Henny... I agree w/everyone that the treats would be the first culprit. I would say if you could incorporate more exercise in... I'm trying to do at least 30 min twice a day for Winston. I can walk my boxer Roxie forever, but Winston obviously can't do it so I'm trying shorter session w/him. Winston is 10 months now, and weighs 56 pounds already :eek: Bella was overweight as well, and it was so hard to get the weight off of her... Good Luck :D

kim n the guys

Community Veteran
Apr 3, 2011
Holt, MI
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Oliver, Sebastian, Remy, Gracie, and Tonka (10-21-07 to 05-29-14 RIP)
My boys are so deprived compared to Tate and Finn. They RARELY get extra treats and only get their kibble. M-F they do get a little piece of my husband's peanut butter toast but that's about all the "extra's" they get. My poor deprived bullies. Oliver weighs in at 62#, Remy 63#, and Sebastian 40#. I'm not gonna let them know about all the goodies Tate and Finn or they will be packing their bags and going to live with Aunt Henny (@Calibaker)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.