Misdiagnosis. What a scare.

BullyLove143

Jan 9, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Douglas
3 weeks ago I noticed a small balding spot on my bulls back. He was taken to his family doctor and put on antibiotics, assuming it was a hot spot...a few days went by and nothing was clearing up, the only change was that his spot was growing and multiplying. Frantically I took him to an animal hospital, where they shaved the area, scraped and did an aspiration. The results came back still as unknown. Mentions of a tumor or "skin cancer" were in the line now.. Our last resort was a Dermatologist who already had gotten our bull (Douglas) report and was certain it was lymphoma. We were even going over future treatment options such as chemo and god forbid death, pending on how bad his case was. The doctor did a biopsy of all 5 areas. I was a mess waiting for the results. Yesterday when the results came in, I was totally shocked and relieved to hear that his supposedly cancer was RINGWORM!!!!!! I posted a picture below to show how this maybe could of been confused for lymphoma, but why wasn't ringworm ruled out at first? Needless to say, I'm totally grossed out and would prefer if my dog just live in a bubble.
Bubble Bulldog!
u6uzana8.jpg
e6e2e8e4.jpg

Sent from Stephanie and Dougie

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
How terrible for you guys. I'm glad it turned out ok though. Poor doug.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Glad to hear it is something easily treatable and not cancer! All forms of cancer suck human and animal!

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Oh my , my!! -i cannot began to imagine what you must have been going through, i never had to deal with ringworms so it was a quite a shock for me to see the pictures ,
Wishing your baby speedy recovery x

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
With the right medication, an antifungal, [which you can get otc] it should clear up pretty fast. Be careful though as ringworm is quite contagious and can be transferred to humans. So wash your hands good after tending to the dog. I'm sure your vet told you all this anyway but thought I would mention. Happy for you guys that it was nothing more serious

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Oh my goodness, poor Douglas and poor you for having to go thru all this agony of figuring out what this was. But now at least you know it's not cancer and ringworm is indeed quite treatable.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG. How awful for all of you!! Thank you for sharing so others can learn!
Sorry you had to go through all that emotional turmoil..... Ringworm, that has to be one of the worst access I have seen.
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION] ever see it this bad?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
OMG. That must have been really scary, and worrisome, especially waiting for the test results. Poor you, and Doug. I'm glad everything turned out okay, and it's something treatable. Henny gave you great advice regarding how contagious Ringworm is, so be careful you and your family don't get it.

AubreysMom

Community Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Millbrook, Alabama
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Aubrey (RIP 5-4-12), Aubie Shug (DOB 3-23-12)
Wow! I'm so glad everything turned out alright! That must have been terrifying. :hug:

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I don't see a picture?
First off, thank god it's just ringworm. Can't imagine how worried you must have been.
But I gotta ask, isn't Ringworm fairly common in dogs? Shouldn't that have been one of the first things they checked for? How does your vet, and an animal hospital miss it?? Even the dermatologist jumped to conclusions (very unprofessional).

I'd be very annoyed at everyone who misdiagnosed, or couldn't diagnose. You should contact them and make it a point to let them know they missed the obvious!!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Oh my, what a scare! Thank good it was nothing real serious, it sure looks serious!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank God it's not cancer, but that has to be the worst case if ringworm I've ever seen! I've never seen it raised like that, wow. Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope this gets better and fast! :hug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG I'm so sorry that you wen't thru all of that... My Bella had ringworm (we believe she got it from the cat, apparently she was a carrier w/no symptoms!!!) and I have to say she never had bumps like that!!! It took FOREVER for her to get rid of it, she was on meds for months. I also had to clean her bedding thoroughly so we all didn't catch it. Her bumps were singular in nature, but they were more in her skin than sticking out... Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
So happy that it is "only" ringworm. It is , though unusual looking for ringworm. I, personally, have never seen it so raised up as that is. It is scary looking-what a relief for you!

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
OMG. How awful for all of you!! Thank you for sharing so others can learn!
Sorry you had to go through all that emotional turmoil..... Ringworm, that has to be one of the worst access I have seen.
@Sherry ever see it this bad?

I have never seen it look like that, raised in a mass shape, but I'm going to go look and do some research until I find it. thank you so much Christine for letting me in on this. Very interesting and thank God for everyone involved it turns out to be ringworm rather than a cancer.
Lucky Douglas , and his pawrents

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.