Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Hi guys , we visited our friends today with a pug -who had palette surgery 6 days ago - owners seem to be bothered by the way hes barking - sounds like hes losing his voice - very quiet kind of muted - comparable to when humans losing their voice
Since they know im dog mad and most likely i be "out there in the great world wide web of per owners " they seeking some advice -their next vet visit is friday -i thought that was odd -so long since the op ...
Si my question is "is it normal or did vet damaged his vocal cords?"
Sorry if this is a daft question but as i dont know the answer myself thought some of you might know

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Hi guys , we visited our friends today with a pug -who had palette surgery 6 days ago - owners seem to be bothered by the way hes barking - sounds like hes losing his voice - very quiet kind of muted - comparable to when humans losing their voice
Since they know im dog mad and most likely i be "out there in the great world wide web of per owners " they seeking some advice -their next vet visit is friday -i thought that was odd -so long since the op ...
Sorry if this is a daft question but as i dont know the answer myself thought some of you might know

Blue lost his voice too. He sounded like he was croaking. Then slowly he got it back. The first week was the worst, by the second he sounded like a little girly doggie (meaning very high pitched yelps). By the end of the second week he started to sound normal again.
I spoke with the vet and was told that while it's unusual, it does happen.

I wouldn't worry about it yet. Tell your friends to give it another week.

Last edited:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Like [MENTION=7457]Blueberrys Mom[/MENTION] said, just give it several weeks and it should return to normal.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
interesting, i'm wondering do american bulldogs have issues that they would need this surgery too? a neighbor a few houses down have an white american bulldog, i'm not lying when i say this dog's bark sounds like a duck, it's a high pitched quack of sorts, everyone that comes over hear's it and is like what is that and where is it coming from! You would think it was a smaller dog with a funny bark and then you see him and you're like what in the world! Anyone ever heard a bark like that before?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Well, English bulldogs have the surgery to correct an elongated soft palate because it affects breathing. They don't do it for the "voice".
But, can the soft palate affect how a dog sounds, hmm.. probably..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Hey eh pati, I believe it is normal... Throat is swollen from the procedure. Cheli, my Frenchie, had to have it done twice Nd both times... The 'voice' was very horse and almost like it was losing it... And the healing is near three to four weeks.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
It's just like when we have surgery. He could have throat irratation due to the tube being inserted down the throat. Also anestesia can have an effect on the throat. It will go back to normal.

jlcox24

May 5, 2013
NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ollie
Well, English bulldogs have the surgery to correct an elongated soft palate because it affects breathing. They don't do it for the "voice".
But, can the soft palate affect how a dog sounds, hmm.. probably..

I know why English bulldogs have it, I wondered if American bulldogs had the same breathing issue, Maybe I didn't word it right, and was thinking maybe that dog did and it did effect his voice. I have no knowledge of anything about american bulldogs, just curious

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
ack, sorry if I came off condescending, didn't mean to.
I did google American bulldogs and the palate issue but couldn't really find anything on it. but yeah, I do think the palate can have an effect on the bark.

OP
Pati Robins

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Thanks everyone for your input i just sent them an email :-)

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know why English bulldogs have it, I wondered if American bulldogs had the same breathing issue, Maybe I didn't word it right, and was thinking maybe that dog did and it did effect his voice. I have no knowledge of anything about american bulldogs, just curious

My guess would be the Am Bully does not have the issue, if they do I would think it rare. I have a friend with an AB and his bark varies in high pitch to a mid-tone... Think it could just be his voice, but just a guess.

Starkie

Dec 8, 2012
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Walley-Bubba aka Wooley Bulley aka Walter! aka Landi!!
I decided to pass on the elongated palette surgery.
Walley-Bubba doesn't seem to have a breathing problem per se.
He does snore though but I don't think it's a problem.
Hell, it's been alleged that I snore also.
But I don't drink anymore.
Apparently, we give quite a performance :)

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.