Help Needed! Upper Respiratory Infection

B

Bentley13

So..I am a new owner of a bulldog puppy. I have had him 2 weeks. He was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection (URI) a week ago. The Vet put him on antibiotics (Clavamox) and he had a horrible weekend. He did nothing but sleep and when he was awake he gagged and puked til exhausted again. So I took him back to the Vet and she gave him some medicine to coat his throat and a cough suppressant to help with the gagging, in hopes this would help him keep his food down. She also asked if I wanted to give him subcutaneous fluids to help with dehydration - I said yes of course - because I had been worried that he wasn't getting enough. Since Monday, it has been the same scenario. I give him the throat coat with some yogurt to help soothe his throat an hour before giving him his antibiotic (with food). I have to give him the first bite, then he will eat on his own. He will not drink on his own. I have to force him to take syringes of water and pedialyte. He will be fine in my lap for a few minutes, as long as I keep him calm. If I let him down too soon, he starts gagging and then up comes the food and the medicine. Sometimes, I can put him in his crate and he will rest and keep the food down, but sometimes not. He is not consistent, but this scenario is consistent to what he has been going through for the past week. The Vet wants to see him again today, but I am not sure it is helping. Does this just take time? I read someone's blog to try Mucinex for Children and that this at times just has to run its course. My biggest fear is pneumonia. What are the symptoms of that? Should I get a second vet opinion? The bills are already racking up. I don't know how much more I can take emotionally or financially at the moment....I will do what I have to do of course, but I am just tired and need some support. Much obliged.

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
June also had an upper respiratory infection about 2 weeks after we brought her home. She would cough and gag and just lay down wherever she was and sleep. She didn't throw up or have a hard time eating though. The vet gave me some cough suppressant pills (basically Robitussin) that she said we could buy at the drug store and benedryl to help her sleep at night. It got worse before it got better, but it did last a little over a week before it went away. 1 morning we woke up and she just never started coughing again. We were worried it was pneumonia too so we took her to the ER vet 2 days after he normal vet (for a second opinion-and we were freaking out) and they did x-rays which confirmed it wasn't anything serious like that. I think the symptoms include snotty nose, fever, and not eating. None of which June had.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duchess had 2 back to back upper respiratory infections when she was younger. 8 weeks and again around 4 or 5 months. The meds should knock it out. How long where symptoms present before you took him to the vet? They can usually diagnose pneumonia by listening to the lungs and sometimes if they are unsure they will take an X-ray. Not eating or drinking on their own can be a sign , extreme lethargy. Duchess ate an drank normally both times she had it. The best thing to do is not panic. The first time she had it I paniced cause one night I came home and she wouldn't play or anything I thought for sure it progresses to pneumonia- rushed her to the er since it was after hours and she was fine. Doctor said to just ride it out.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
My vet also assured me the first time she had it at 8 weeks it was due to the stress of leaving momma and flying home to me.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN... So sorry your baby is sick. I never experienced this with my bullies, but you got some good insight for a few members that have... More will be along.

hugs and prayers he is better soon--- please keep us posted

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So..I am a new owner of a bulldog puppy. I have had him 2 weeks. He was diagnosed with an upper respiratory infection (URI) a week ago. The Vet put him on antibiotics (Clavamox) and he had a horrible weekend. He did nothing but sleep and when he was awake he gagged and puked til exhausted again. So I took him back to the Vet and she gave him some medicine to coat his throat and a cough suppressant to help with the gagging, in hopes this would help him keep his food down. She also asked if I wanted to give him subcutaneous fluids to help with dehydration - I said yes of course - because I had been worried that he wasn't getting enough. Since Monday, it has been the same scenario. I give him the throat coat with some yogurt to help soothe his throat an hour before giving him his antibiotic (with food). I have to give him the first bite, then he will eat on his own. He will not drink on his own. I have to force him to take syringes of water and pedialyte. He will be fine in my lap for a few minutes, as long as I keep him calm. If I let him down too soon, he starts gagging and then up comes the food and the medicine. Sometimes, I can put him in his crate and he will rest and keep the food down, but sometimes not. He is not consistent, but this scenario is consistent to what he has been going through for the past week. The Vet wants to see him again today, but I am not sure it is helping. Does this just take time? I read someone's blog to try Mucinex for Children and that this at times just has to run its course. My biggest fear is pneumonia. What are the symptoms of that? Should I get a second vet opinion? The bills are already racking up. I don't know how much more I can take emotionally or financially at the moment....I will do what I have to do of course, but I am just tired and need some support. Much obliged.

Our Buster had this same thing happen to him and it did turn into pneumonia, I would seek a second opinion as soon as possible. I know it can wear you out. But it can be corrected, sorry you are going through all of this, please keep us posted.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry your baby is sick, and hope he gets better soon. I would take him for the follow up visit, just to make sure it has not turned into pneumonia.

OP
B

Bentley13

I wanted to thank all the replied to my post last month. Wow, can't believe it has taken me so long to reply and give an update. My apologies. So Bentley is SO much better! It took another round of a little stronger antibiotics and subcutaneous fluids, but he is back on his feet and back to his puppy self. He has gained all the weight he lost and then some! My profile picture is just a couple of days old. Wow, it was exhausting. Many nights at getting up at 2 or 3 in the morning to give him his medicine, but it was worth it. I just love this little guy...although the non-stop puppy biting I could do without. Will be glad when he is done teething...when does this stop again? lol Thanks to all again. I am glad to be a part of the community!!!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online