Help Needed! Spot that's red and a little bloody?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Last night all the sudden Bennie had an area on the front of his shoulder that was bloody, I cleaned it and couldn't find a wound of any kind, the skin was just red:confused: I had NO idea what happened cos he was inside with us and the only thing that could have bitten him was our parrots which is kind of a long shot. So this "wound" healed and this morning it looked normal again, I was so relived. But now 15 minutes ago I found another spot on the side of the opposite shoulder:(

What can this be?

The pitbull we had before our bulldogs got similar spots at one stage(I can't remember exactly but my husband says it's exactly the same) and the vet gave us Pyostat shampoo for it. On our pitty it was a kind of bacteria called Staphylococcus that caused it. I still have the shampoo, must just check the date on it... but it should be safe to wash him with it and see if these spots stop popping up right?

Any other ideas on what it can be? The only thing that has changed is that last week I gave them one spoon of greek yoghurt on their food cos it was so hot outside and I thought it would be like ice cream for them:ashamed:

He acts normal, he doesn't try to scratch it and he doesn't even seem to know the spots are there:unsure: he just looks funny at me when I'm cleaning him like a crazy person:eek:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is it dry or moist... Can you possibly get a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I tried to get a pic just now but it actually doesn't show anything but pink/red skin under the fur on an area big as a strawberry kind of... don't know the inches measurements you guys use:eek: It's not meaty or anything, noting is coming out of the "wound", it's just pink/red skin and it bleeds a little when it "bursts". The hair is still normal, no hair is falling out so once the blood is wiped off you could never tell it was there... After the "burst" it dries up and goes back to normal, all I did last night was clean it with a baby wipe cloth.

The vet says there is a specific bird that brings the "Staph" bacteria and the dogs can carry it without any problems, it's if the immune system goes down for some reason or from an allergic reaction that it can blossom out:( So it might have been me trying to be nice with the greek yoghurt that started it:*(

He got a bath now with the pyostat shampoo and if it doesn't come back we're good, otherwise he's going to the vet end of week. I hope the bath was all that was needed...

If he gets another one I'll take a pic before I clean it, it's easier to see anything then:)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh Petra, I'm so sorry... I'm afraid I don't know anything about this, I hope you figure something out soon... Keep us posted :D

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tried to get a pic just now but it actually doesn't show anything but pink/red skin under the fur on an area big as a strawberry kind of... don't know the inches measurements you guys use:eek: It's not meaty or anything, noting is coming out of the "wound", it's just pink/red skin and it bleeds a little when it "bursts". The hair is still normal, no hair is falling out so once the blood is wiped off you could never tell it was there... After the "burst" it dries up and goes back to normal, all I did last night was clean it with a baby wipe cloth.

The vet says there is a specific bird that brings the "Staph" bacteria and the dogs can carry it without any problems, it's if the immune system goes down for some reason or from an allergic reaction that it can blossom out:( So it might have been me trying to be nice with the greek yoghurt that started it:*(

He got a bath now with the pyostat shampoo and if it doesn't come back we're good, otherwise he's going to the vet end of week. I hope the bath was all that was needed...

If he gets another one I'll take a pic before I clean it, it's easier to see anything then:)

yea, sure does sound like staph

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I'm no help in this area either. Hubby home yet?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like possibly a hot spot but could be staph, the shampoo should help either way. Poor baby :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm no help in this area either. Hubby home yet?

Ja, he came home late Tuesday night:) good to have him around again, he's a little less paranoid than me when it comes to the kids...:ashamed:

It's now about 5 hours since his bath with the special shampoo and he seems happy and no new spots, hope it stays that way:) I've been searching the rest of the family of 6 for spots but they are all fine luckily. Gonna clean all the beddings and stuff tomorrow and give Bennie another bath on Saturday. Think I'm gonna give them all a bath just to be sure... what a mission that will be, lol. Normally they don't all bath on the same day:tongue:

Most Reactions