Does anyone have a bulldog puppy with hip dysplasia?

morty the bulldog

Oct 16, 2013
I have a nine month old bully with 3 genetic disorders. Double hip dysplasia, grade 3-4 heart murmur and demodex. Should I go after the breeder?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Does anyone have a bulldog puppy with hop dysplasia?

Not sure what you can do ... you can inform them so they know not to breed the same two again.

I tagged a few members that can give some insight on the heart murmur and mange.

Hip dysplasia is very common and can be maintained through weight and low activity. Some willneed surgeries but you will not know till he is older than 2 yrs after growth stops. My girl has bad dysplaia, was diagnosed at 8/9 months and we were told she most likely would not have a good life and need to be 'put down' at some point.... got a second opinion and she is now 8 yrs old... no surgery ever needed... it was all weight management.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

Wow that is a lot of health issues. The demodex is likely secondary to her other problems as it is an attack on a low immune system.

What I cannot understand us how a pup with that high of a grade heart murmur wasn't discovered prior to you getting her. :(

I'm so sorry.... I hope you can get some answers from your breeder. :(. Have you contacted them at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
morty the bulldog

morty the bulldog

Oct 16, 2013

He has a grade 2 heart murmur when we got him...the vet said most likely it would go away by the time he is 6 months....it got worse. The vet also sees the breeders dogs, and has informed her that she needs ro stop breeding these dogs, due to the genetic mess she has created. She told them she can't afford to stop. So with that being said...I feel that she has known what she has been doing and should he responsible for his medical...we discussed it with the breeder ourselves and she said she would pay us 2000.00 $ back. When she has the money. his medical expenses have been higher than that already. And we haven't even had the ultrasound of his heart done yet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

WOW is all I can say!!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey

oh man poor Morty! I hope hes ok!

Annabella

May 16, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Annabella

My Annabella went to an orthopedic surgeon yesterday, she has a tear on what we "skin people" call her ACL. She needs surgery. The surgeon said this is a genetic problem in a lot of bulldogs as is hip dysplasia, but she says with hip dysplasia they don't normally replace the hip, the bulldog adapts to it. She is going to put a titanium knee and apparently they don't repair the tear they work around it. Annabella is only 2 years old but the surgeon says she see this as early as 1-1/2 yrs. Are these disorders something that can be prevented? I don't think so, they are common with this breed. Now the heart murmur I have no idea, but I do know that I myself have a heart murmur and it was brought on when I was an infant and had gotten sick, so is a heart murmur a genetic defect? No one else in my family has one....Good Luck to you and lotsa love to Morty.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman

Hi there. I have some experience with this as three years ago my 10 week old bulldog puppy's hip popped out of socket and he was diagnosed with severe hip dyplasia.

In my situation, it was very soon after I got him from the breeder so I did contact him. If your breeder offers you $2K toward the medical expenses, I'd take the money and run. According to MOST contracts you sign, if there is a genetic problem found within a year, they will take your puppy back, euthanize it, and replace it with a different puppy - and who does that? So if you can get some money towards costs, I would do that. (And by the way, my puppy is a healthy 3 year old now after a hip surgery as a 13 week old puppy.)

With the heart defect, it sounds like you were aware of that when you got the puppy and demodex mange is not genetic - plus it's really common and not too expensive to treat - so I would discuss the hips with your vet, get a prognosis and plan of treatment - then see what your breeder might be willing to cover.

A shame that this breeder knows she's breeding sick dogs and keeps on going. What a disservice to the breed.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie

That is so wrong and sad, she knows she is breeding bullies knowing these defects. Too bad you can not sue her for this. These people need to be put out of business.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.