Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
    Likes (Received)

Default Franklin's first head tremor help

So Franklin has had three head tremors already the first one was Sunday morning and the other two where really early he was sleeping all three times I just clap my hand and give him a treat and he snaps right out of it and I don't have money to take him to the vet I'm really scared why all of the sudden would he gets this

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried! Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    VEGAS
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Franklin's first head tremor help

As scary as they are, the vet really can't do anything about it. What you are doing is right. Distract Franklin with a treat or clapping your hands. Vegas has also done this 3 times. When you can get to the vet I would mention it, but until then treats work well. Also maybe giving him a bedtime snack might work. I give Vegas a snack around 9 every night of yogurt, banana's apples, etc.... to carry him over until breakfast. Good luck!

Baxter Tiberius

Have they ever done MRI's on bulldogs that are having tremors? Just curious if there are any abnormalities like plaques, or structural issues?

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Oh, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Franklin. It must be really scary, and worrisome. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with tremors, or what causes them, I just wanted to send you love, hugs and prayers that its nothing serious, and Franklin is okay. It sounds like from what KMarino said, they are not dangerous, just scary. Continue to keep an eye on him, keep track of the tremors, write down when they happen, and how long they last, you could also take a video, even if its just on your cell phone to document them, in case you have to take him to the vet, then you can show him what is happening. Hopefully some other members who have experience with tremors will come along and be able to give you some more advice. Have you looked I to Care Credit, I think it's called, some members use this, it's like a credit card that you can use for medical expenses, it may be an option if you end of having to take Franklin to the vet. Good luck Hun, I hope he's okay. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

I think it was low blood sugar the first time it happened I forgot to give him his night time meal so I think that's what it might be it was so scary to see that but I'm so glad I knew what it was because of this site I knew what to do right away at 4 in the morning and again at 2:30 the next night! And it's when he's sleeping or just waking up he turned a year old in April

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Stress seems to be a huge factor. Even not getting fed can cause stress.... Bullies are into routine for sure.

Glad you are able to get them to stop right away. to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Carol
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Fat Cami
    Likes (Received)

Sending big hugs to you & Franklin

Sounds like stress & low blood sugar, you did exactly right, the vet can
    do nothing. Giving him a snack before bedtime will help, a rice cake w/lightly
    covered peanut butter is good for him too. Get him on a regular eating schedule
    if he's not already. Plenty of fresh water always available for hydration. If he
    eats kibble, add about 1/4 cup water or broth to it. Give him a sardine 2-3 times
    a week as a topper (packed in water or olive oil~no canola or soybean oil) gives
    him calcium & good oils. GOD bless!

My 1st bully, Brutus
    RIP beloved boy.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

The crew has you covered.... nothing the vet can do.... give a treat make sure he is responsive (call his name)... the chewing distracts the muscles and stops the tremor.

As others suggested... try a snack at night before bed, and if there is stress in the house they could also be a trigger. You'll need to determine that by watching/identifing what takes place before they happen.

My girl, it is stress related... change her routine or something in the house, heck if she even picks up on my stress she will start to have them

keep us posted
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter Tiberius View Post
    Have they ever done MRI's on bulldogs that are having tremors? Just curious if there are any abnormalities like plaques, or structural issues?
    The tremors are idopathic... meaning there is no ryme or reason for them, the cause is unknown. MRI would be done if determined the tremor was more related to a seisure --- there is a difference as with the head tremor, the bully will respond to your calling their name, make eye contact and move around normally. With seisure activity, the pup can do none of those actions.
    @Libra926
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by loveabully View Post
    I think it was low blood sugar the first time it happened I forgot to give him his night time meal so I think that's what it might be it was so scary to see that but I'm so glad I knew what it was because of this site I knew what to do right away at 4 in the morning and again at 2:30 the next night! And it's when he's sleeping or just waking up he turned a year old in April
    some people feel its a blood sugar thing but I know with Chumley (and he gets them at least once or twice a week now) the immediate distraction of chewing on a treat snaps him out of it..there's no time for the sugar in the treat to even hit his system so I know it's not that..at least with him. I've been to 2 vets..both agree with the info you're getting here. It's not painful (for you it is to watch though!) and extensive testing has resulted in finding no neurological problems in most bullies. Read 2bully mamas info on the home page of the forum...it's spot on!
    Good luck he'll be fine!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/co...glish-Bulldogs
    Last edited by 2BullyMama; 10-14-2013 at 06:19 PM. Reason: added article link

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I agree with the info given so far. Probably low blood sugar and it happens way too often. If the night time snack doesn't help....I'd take him in. More than likely, nothing can be done about it. Definitely get it on video so you have something to show the vet. Also...if your vet isn't a pro on this type of breed, look around your area to see if there is a recommended vet that knows about bulldogs.

Bulldog Vet in Training Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ali
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Likes (Received)

So good news guys so far he hasn't had one since yesterday!!! I gave him a couple of cookies through out the night and he was fine so I hope that's all it was is low blood sugar. Fingers crossed thank you everyone for all your prayers and support thank you I'm so thankful for this site I knew what to do right away!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads