loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Franklin AKA Frank the Tank
So Franklin has had three head tremors already the first one was Sunday morning and the other two where really early he was sleeping all three times I just clap my hand and give him a treat and he snaps right out of it and I don't have money to take him to the vet I'm really scared why all of the sudden would he gets this

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
As scary as they are, the vet really can't do anything about it. What you are doing is right. Distract Franklin with a treat or clapping your hands. Vegas has also done this 3 times. When you can get to the vet I would mention it, but until then treats work well. Also maybe giving him a bedtime snack might work. I give Vegas a snack around 9 every night of yogurt, banana's apples, etc.... to carry him over until breakfast. Good luck!

B

Baxter Tiberius

Have they ever done MRI's on bulldogs that are having tremors? Just curious if there are any abnormalities like plaques, or structural issues?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Oh, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Franklin. It must be really scary, and worrisome. I'm sorry I don't have any experience with tremors, or what causes them, I just wanted to send you love, hugs and prayers that its nothing serious, and Franklin is okay. It sounds like from what KMarino said, they are not dangerous, just scary. Continue to keep an eye on him, keep track of the tremors, write down when they happen, and how long they last, you could also take a video, even if its just on your cell phone to document them, in case you have to take him to the vet, then you can show him what is happening. Hopefully some other members who have experience with tremors will come along and be able to give you some more advice. Have you looked I to Care Credit, I think it's called, some members use this, it's like a credit card that you can use for medical expenses, it may be an option if you end of having to take Franklin to the vet. Good luck Hun, I hope he's okay. Please keep us posted on how he's doing.

OP
loveabully

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I think it was low blood sugar the first time it happened I forgot to give him his night time meal so I think that's what it might be it was so scary to see that but I'm so glad I knew what it was because of this site I knew what to do right away at 4 in the morning and again at 2:30 the next night! And it's when he's sleeping or just waking up he turned a year old in April

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Stress seems to be a huge factor. Even not getting fed can cause stress.... Bullies are into routine for sure.

Glad you are able to get them to stop right away. :hug: to you both!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Sending big hugs to you & Franklin :assurred:

Sounds like stress & low blood sugar, you did exactly right, the vet can
do nothing. Giving him a snack before bedtime will help, a rice cake w/lightly
covered peanut butter is good for him too. Get him on a regular eating schedule
if he's not already. Plenty of fresh water always available for hydration. If he
eats kibble, add about 1/4 cup water or broth to it. Give him a sardine 2-3 times
a week as a topper (packed in water or olive oil~no canola or soybean oil) gives
him calcium & good oils. GOD bless!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
The crew has you covered.... nothing the vet can do.... give a treat make sure he is responsive (call his name)... the chewing distracts the muscles and stops the tremor.

As others suggested... try a snack at night before bed, and if there is stress in the house they could also be a trigger. You'll need to determine that by watching/identifing what takes place before they happen.

My girl, it is stress related... change her routine or something in the house, heck if she even picks up on my stress she will start to have them

keep us posted

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Have they ever done MRI's on bulldogs that are having tremors? Just curious if there are any abnormalities like plaques, or structural issues?

The tremors are idopathic... meaning there is no ryme or reason for them, the cause is unknown. MRI would be done if determined the tremor was more related to a seisure --- there is a difference as with the head tremor, the bully will respond to your calling their name, make eye contact and move around normally. With seisure activity, the pup can do none of those actions.
[MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION]

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I think it was low blood sugar the first time it happened I forgot to give him his night time meal so I think that's what it might be it was so scary to see that but I'm so glad I knew what it was because of this site I knew what to do right away at 4 in the morning and again at 2:30 the next night! And it's when he's sleeping or just waking up he turned a year old in April
some people feel its a blood sugar thing but I know with Chumley (and he gets them at least once or twice a week now) the immediate distraction of chewing on a treat snaps him out of it..there's no time for the sugar in the treat to even hit his system so I know it's not that..at least with him. I've been to 2 vets..both agree with the info you're getting here. It's not painful (for you it is to watch though!) and extensive testing has resulted in finding no neurological problems in most bullies. Read 2bully mamas info on the home page of the forum...it's spot on!
Good luck he'll be fine!

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/content.php?514-Head-Tremors-in-English-Bulldogs

Last edited by a moderator:

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I agree with the info given so far. Probably low blood sugar and it happens way too often. If the night time snack doesn't help....I'd take him in. More than likely, nothing can be done about it. Definitely get it on video so you have something to show the vet. Also...if your vet isn't a pro on this type of breed, look around your area to see if there is a recommended vet that knows about bulldogs.

OP
loveabully

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
So good news guys so far he hasn't had one since yesterday!!! I gave him a couple of cookies through out the night and he was fine so I hope that's all it was is low blood sugar. Fingers crossed thank you everyone for all your prayers and support thank you I'm so thankful for this site I knew what to do right away!!!

OP
loveabully

loveabully

Community Veteran
Jul 20, 2012
california
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well he had another one just now my husband woke up and looked at him and he was doing it he hasn't had one since the 13 and the only thing that is I didn't have green beans all this week and tonight I gave him some with his food he has been eating green beans with his food for almost a year now so I don't know what it could be that was the only thing different this week he had rice instead of g beans and he's been acting as if my female is getting ready to go into heat so that's the only thing I can think of but he had it in his sleep so if he was excited about it he would have it then so I don't know I'm lost I wish I knew so I could stop whatever is causing it

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
So good news guys so far he hasn't had one since yesterday!!! I gave him a couple of cookies through out the night and he was fine so I hope that's all it was is low blood sugar. Fingers crossed thank you everyone for all your prayers and support thank you I'm so thankful for this site I knew what to do right away!!!

If you continue to give cookies he'll develop weight gain with associated issues.
Low blood sugar (may not even be the reason for tremors in his case) is not solved
with sugar~all foods have natural sugar just some dump in your system faster (bad)
than others (better). Cookies also have GRAIN, not good for bullies. The NUTRITION
articles listed in the Forum are great sources of info you need as are the TREMORS
articles and their food tips. Good luck and keep us informed.

One more thing about sugar...the fast (bad) dumping ones like cookies, candies, donuts,
etc cause CRASHES once the fuel is burned off (which is quickly)...you want slow release
and long lasting fuel for EVEN BLOOD STABLIZATION.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Well he had another one just now my husband woke up and looked at him and he was doing it he hasn't had one since the 13 and the only thing that is I didn't have green beans all this week and tonight I gave him some with his food he has been eating green beans with his food for almost a year now so I don't know what it could be that was the only thing different this week he had rice instead of g beans and he's been acting as if my female is getting ready to go into heat so that's the only thing I can think of but he had it in his sleep so if he was excited about it he would have it then so I don't know I'm lost I wish I knew so I could stop whatever is causing it

the think about these tremors is they are unknown causes, all we can do is try to determine the trigger and then finger out what stops them. I found with my girl, it is stree realted/OCD, if we move something or she sense stress in the house she has them. When we first moved into our apartment while waiting for our home to be built, she had them consistently for the four months we were ther and again for a month after in the new home. We are her a year now and we only see them when we have stress around her.

our boy, his were allergy related, he got them mostly in spring fall when his allergies were at the worst. A small treat for both of them would get the tremor to stop... Some low calorie,... Green beans, piece of a plain rice cakes, their kibble, anything o distract

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.