OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Emmitt is also white, when I wipe his tear stains they are brownish color also. Maybe he has tear stains you just can't tell because he is brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, I think you may be right - there may well be tear stains although I haven't seen them. I love the way Emmitt sits in the picture!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When I clean Zeus tear stains the towel/wipey is usually brownish. Very light. But there is some color to it.. He is all white so he does have tear stains and they are obviously not white or clear or else they wouldn't be visible. Idk if that's what u mean. Most tear stains I've seen looks like my dogs so I was assuming tear stains look like that.

Yes, that's what I mean! The more I read about this I realise the tear stains of course must come from coloured tear fluid. I think I was just so surprised that the poor dog's tears were rust coloured!

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Duchess eye doctor said basically its a reaction to the tear coming in contact with oxygen that cause the rust color.

Interesting - thanks for this piece of info!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Interesting! May I ask, is the new food the same source of protein or is there a change?
He was alternating between sweet potato and venison, sweet potato and duck, and sweet potato and chicken on natural balance..then I switched to Fromms pork and peas(diarrhea)...then Fromms beef frittata (excessive shedding and itching) ..now Fromms salmon tunalini (which he seems ok on.) I was switching from Fromms completely if this last flavor didn't work.) his stains were very bad..now he has none...looking back it may have been the sweet potato..either way I'm convinced it was entirely the food.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
He was alternating between sweet potato and venison, sweet potato and duck, and sweet potato and chicken on natural balance..then I switched to Fromms pork and peas(diarrhea)...then Fromms beef frittata (excessive shedding and itching) ..now Fromms salmon tunalini (which he seems ok on.) I was switching from Fromms completely if this last flavor didn't work.) his stains were very bad..now he has none...looking back it may have been the sweet potato..either way I'm convinced it was entirely the food.

Thanks - we'll try fish too and switch from the chicken Acana puppy&junior food he's on now to Orijen six fish (only protein source is fish and no sweet potato). Castor has got some skin rash and if the rust-coloured tears are food-related perhaps the skin will improve too. We've got a shampoo but I'd like to find out what is causing the rash.

Thanks again!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
My Bifi is on Acana too and i have the same problem. we have a very bad tear stain problem although i can't say if it's food allergy or his eyelashes rubbing his eyes. we first tried Acana Grasslands and we are now on Pacifica, his tear stains hasn't improved. I'm now thinking of switching to Orijen or going raw.

Members online

No members online now.