Coloured tears

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
When wiping Castor's face I've noticed that sometimes the tear fluid is not transparent but brown/red. He doesn't have any visible tear stains as his fur is dark round the eyes, but I'm wondering if the coloured tear fluid is normal or something we should consider?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It could be the dyes in his food, what food are you feeding? Good thing no staining yet but eventually it will probably start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks for your input. He has been on Acana puppy and junior almost since we got him (he's six months old now) but we are considering a switch to Orijen six fish. One week ago we started giving him salmon oil but the tear fluid was coloured before that too. Are there any food ingredients we should avoid that are known to cause this discolouring?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks for your input. He has been on Acana puppy and junior almost since we got him (he's six months old now) but we are considering a switch to Orijen six fish. One week ago we started giving him salmon oil but the tear fluid was coloured before that too. Are there any food ingredients we should avoid that are known to cause this discolouring?

Beets I've heard, and if there is any dyes listed. Those are the only ones I've heard of. Treats too can have dyes in them.

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Thanks; no beets in his food (I take it you mean beet root?), but I will look into the list of ingredients more closely!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Interesting, I never heard of this before.... Going to watch so I can learn

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
So has this always happened or did it only start recently? Never heard of it before.

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
I haven't heard of this not to say it doesn't happen I'm going to watch this thread as well so I can learn.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thanks; no beets in his food (I take it you mean beet root?), but I will look into the list of ingredients more closely!

It's powdered beets or something like that, cannot remember exactly.

EDIT: dried beet pulp

Last edited:
OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
No beet pulp in his food!

I've now read up on porphyrin, which is produced in the body when red blood cells break down. This porphyrin is apparently what causes the discolouration from tear stains, and I suppose that is also what we see on the kleenex when wiping Castor's face. His eyes have always been a bit red (we've been told that is common in young dogs as they build up their immune system) and he does not seem to have any problems at all, so I suppose we needn't worry but just keep his face clean. The coloured tear fluid has probably been there all along but as his fur isn't white around his eyes I only noticed the coloured tear fluid quite recently when starting to wipe his face on a daily basis.

Scueva

Sep 27, 2012
Chicago, IL
Bulldog(s) Names
Duchess
Duchess eye doctor said basically its a reaction to the tear coming in contact with oxygen that cause the rust color.

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
I got Chumley at 8 months old and he had no tear stains. He started getting them about a year old and I noticed whenever I wiped his nose rope or cleaned his tail pocket it was red or rusty like you said. His tear stains kept getting worse so I tried the remedies suggested..corn starch and.peroxide ..daily wiping with duoxopads ...but they didn't improve all that much. I had changed his food from natural balance for an unrelated reason this past July and 2 months later they were gone..now they rarely tear and when they do it's clear. Since switching his food..I use Fromms now..the issue is completely gone!

ZeusCsmommy

May 9, 2013
Stockton, California, United States
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Zeus
When I clean Zeus tear stains the towel/wipey is usually brownish. Very light. But there is some color to it.. He is all white so he does have tear stains and they are obviously not white or clear or else they wouldn't be visible. Idk if that's what u mean. Most tear stains I've seen looks like my dogs so I was assuming tear stains look like that.

EmmittPylate

Feb 17, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
Emmitt is also white, when I wipe his tear stains they are brownish color also. Maybe he has tear stains you just can't tell because he is brown?

OP
cefe13

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
I got Chumley at 8 months old and he had no tear stains. He started getting them about a year old and I noticed whenever I wiped his nose rope or cleaned his tail pocket it was red or rusty like you said. His tear stains kept getting worse so I tried the remedies suggested..corn starch and.peroxide ..daily wiping with duoxopads ...but they didn't improve all that much. I had changed his food from natural balance for an unrelated reason this past July and 2 months later they were gone..now they rarely tear and when they do it's clear. Since switching his food..I use Fromms now..the issue is completely gone!

Interesting! May I ask, is the new food the same source of protein or is there a change?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.