Real Name
    Eve
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Zeus
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Coloured tears

When I clean Zeus tear stains the towel/wipey is usually brownish. Very light. But there is some color to it.. He is all white so he does have tear stains and they are obviously not white or clear or else they wouldn't be visible. Idk if that's what u mean. Most tear stains I've seen looks like my dogs so I was assuming tear stains look like that.

Bulldog(s) Names
    Emmitt
    Likes (Received)

Emmitt is also white, when I wipe his tear stains they are brownish color also. Maybe he has tear stains you just can't tell because he is brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    I got Chumley at 8 months old and he had no tear stains. He started getting them about a year old and I noticed whenever I wiped his nose rope or cleaned his tail pocket it was red or rusty like you said. His tear stains kept getting worse so I tried the remedies suggested..corn starch and.peroxide ..daily wiping with duoxopads ...but they didn't improve all that much. I had changed his food from natural balance for an unrelated reason this past July and 2 months later they were gone..now they rarely tear and when they do it's clear. Since switching his food..I use Fromms now..the issue is completely gone!
    Interesting! May I ask, is the new food the same source of protein or is there a change?

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by EmmittPylate View Post
    Emmitt is also white, when I wipe his tear stains they are brownish color also. Maybe he has tear stains you just can't tell because he is brown?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Yes, I think you may be right - there may well be tear stains although I haven't seen them. I love the way Emmitt sits in the picture!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ZeusCsmommy View Post
    When I clean Zeus tear stains the towel/wipey is usually brownish. Very light. But there is some color to it.. He is all white so he does have tear stains and they are obviously not white or clear or else they wouldn't be visible. Idk if that's what u mean. Most tear stains I've seen looks like my dogs so I was assuming tear stains look like that.
    Yes, that's what I mean! The more I read about this I realise the tear stains of course must come from coloured tear fluid. I think I was just so surprised that the poor dog's tears were rust coloured!

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Scueva View Post
    Duchess eye doctor said basically its a reaction to the tear coming in contact with oxygen that cause the rust color.
    Interesting - thanks for this piece of info!

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Jim B.
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chumley and Hershey
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cefe13 View Post
    Interesting! May I ask, is the new food the same source of protein or is there a change?
    He was alternating between sweet potato and venison, sweet potato and duck, and sweet potato and chicken on natural balance..then I switched to Fromms pork and peas(diarrhea)...then Fromms beef frittata (excessive shedding and itching) ..now Fromms salmon tunalini (which he seems ok on.) I was switching from Fromms completely if this last flavor didn't work.) his stains were very bad..now he has none...looking back it may have been the sweet potato..either way I'm convinced it was entirely the food.

Country
    Sweden
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Castor
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chumley View Post
    He was alternating between sweet potato and venison, sweet potato and duck, and sweet potato and chicken on natural balance..then I switched to Fromms pork and peas(diarrhea)...then Fromms beef frittata (excessive shedding and itching) ..now Fromms salmon tunalini (which he seems ok on.) I was switching from Fromms completely if this last flavor didn't work.) his stains were very bad..now he has none...looking back it may have been the sweet potato..either way I'm convinced it was entirely the food.
    Thanks - we'll try fish too and switch from the chicken Acana puppy&junior food he's on now to Orijen six fish (only protein source is fish and no sweet potato). Castor has got some skin rash and if the rust-coloured tears are food-related perhaps the skin will improve too. We've got a shampoo but I'd like to find out what is causing the rash.

Thanks again!

Rescue Volunteer dieMuttivonBifi's Avatar
    Country
    from the Philippines but residing in Germany
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bifi (beef-ii)
    Likes (Received)

My Bifi is on Acana too and i have the same problem. we have a very bad tear stain problem although i can't say if it's food allergy or his eyelashes rubbing his eyes. we first tried Acana Grasslands and we are now on Pacifica, his tear stains hasn't improved. I'm now thinking of switching to Orijen or going raw.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remove Ads