First Heat Cycle

EBright

Oct 11, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
Hi, all!
I wasn't sure where to post this topic (I'm new), but I figured this would be a good place to put it. I own an 8 month English Bully named Millie. About two weeks ago she went into her first heat cycle, and has been going nuts ever since!
She's been barking and crying like crazy, she's attached to my leg even more than usual - she almost constantly has to be touching me, and even though she has been potty trained for the last 4/5 months has tried peeing in various places in my house. I caught her as she was starting to squat both times.
I'm not sure whether this is normal behavior of a dog in heat or if I should take her to the vet and see if something is going on. I plan on getting her spayed after this heat over. The vet told me to wait a month after the first heat has ended to go in though.

Has anyone else had problems similar to these and was there anything you did that made her easier to deal with?

Thanks so much!

Sheena

Community Veteran
May 18, 2013
Northwest Indiana
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
Ugh! I am no help. But I will soon be dealing with this. Daisy is almost 7 months now.. I have been asking around too.. This makes me a lil nervous! Hopefully things get better :/

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hi, all!
I wasn't sure where to post this topic (I'm new), but I figured this would be a good place to put it. I own an 8 month English Bully named Millie. About two weeks ago she went into her first heat cycle, and has been going nuts ever since!
She's been barking and crying like crazy, she's attached to my leg even more than usual - she almost constantly has to be touching me, and even though she has been potty trained for the last 4/5 months has tried peeing in various places in my house. I caught her as she was starting to squat both times.
I'm not sure whether this is normal behavior of a dog in heat or if I should take her to the vet and see if something is going on. I plan on getting her spayed after this heat over. The vet told me to wait a month after the first heat has ended to go in though.

Has anyone else had problems similar to these and was there anything you did that made her easier to deal with?

Thanks so much!
Welcome to EBN!!! Millie's behavior is VERY normal, so don't panic... My Bella was actually a royal B during her cycles, and the peeing constantly is also normal. You may want to wait longer to get her spayed, I will tag some members that have way more experience with this... [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION], [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION]

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
This is all perfectly normal, her hormones are going crazy right now. The peeing is her way of spreading her scent around to attract males. I would wait about 2 to 3 months after her heat cycle before spaying her.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with above posters. However, in [MENTION=3123]agingermom[/MENTION]'s case it turned out to be a UTI at the time of heat so after a couple weeks she should not be bleeding too much anymore. If she is still bleeding get her to the vet asap, keep us posted.

dalmatina38

The Stripe Wearing, Broom Wielding, Voodoo Prieste
Community Veteran
Jul 13, 2012
Sierra Vista Arizona
Bulldog(s) Names
Amber and Ruby
Yeap. Ruby is just coming out of her first heat cycle and was bat crap crazy. Drove poor Amber up the walls chasing her and rubbing on everything in sight. Riding stuffed animals, shoes, anything! She is slowly getting back to normal and should only have a few more days left. When Amber had her first heat cycle I waited 3 weeks to make sure she was out of heat and then took her to be spayed.

OP
EBright

EBright

Oct 11, 2013
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Millie
I'm so happy to hear that it's all normal. She's been driving me a little crazy. :)

Will definitely keep you posted on how she's doing once she's out of heat!
Thank you all!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.