aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola's been itchy lately, I'm sure you've heard. Itchy bum, itchy paws (swollen and cysts), itchy ears. And I'm just about two steps away from her diet being alright (venison and lamb are both in the current raw patties). So off we went to the vet today, we were tired (literally) of waking up to scratch that dogs bum.

Diagnosis: mild allergies. maybe food, maybe some environmental. we'll watch for seasonal changes

Treatment: quick (high dose and escalating decreasing doses) steroid Vanectyl-P to bring down the immune system a bit, combined with a systemic antibiotic cephalexin, both for two weeks. Antibiotic for possible underlying bacterial infection in all her paws (hence itches and swelling) which might have gotten worse while on the steroids, otomax (antifungal,antibacterial,anti-inflammatory ear drops) LOVE THESE. especially the anti-inflammatory part.

She might have increased thirst, hunger, and thus might have to pee more. who cares about pees! I just want her to not be itchy!

He also gave me a type of hexidine flush (kind of like douxo without the pads) - Hexadine flush and it smells good.

And lola lost two pounds since May when she got her tooth extracted and her palate shortened! She could lose about 1 more pound but all in all, vet says she's one healthy bully! He wishes all his patients with allergy problems were as mild as Lola's. I'm just glad we are taking care of it before it gets worse. CANNOT IMAGINE.

Thanks for listening!
april & lola
uploadfromtaptalk1380413337608.jpguploadfromtaptalk1380413322927.jpg

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so sorry to hear about Lola... It seems a never ending battle for us too, Winston has another eye ulcer!!! Hopefully it's more a seasonal thing and you won't have to go thru the food changes... Good Luck!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well hope it works for her and she gets some relief.

izstigspunks

Sep 16, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
The Stig Racecar Driver and (Sweet Angel) Punkin Brutus
Oh poor Lola! Hoping its only seasonal as well and that she'll feel better once the the temp drops lower. Except for the allergy meds, I think I have all of those meds in the boys' cupboard. Thank goodness we love our bullies so much.

DudleysMom

Community Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Pennsauken, NJ
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dudley, 12/26/2010-2/8/16; currently I have Kia, 7 yo femaie
Poor Lola baby...hope she gets relief!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Poor baby girl.... seems to be environmental, Banks goes through this in spring/fall (minues the cysts) and it is so hard to see her so itchy, but Benedryl helps some and so does the ACV wash on the paws

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
update! It's been three days and Lola's swollen and itchy paws are back to normal already! No more waking up in the middle of the night to itch herself madly! Now we're waking up to drink lots of water and pee at 4am because of the steroids, but they are helping! We go from 6 pills/day to 3 pill/day tomorrow, then decreasing doses for another 10 days or so. In the meantime, we're adding some bison/veggie raw patties to the venison/lamb diet, maybe a switch will prevent this reaction from coming back when the meds are gone. I'll get pics this week after i unpack all our crap from the family wedding this weekend.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
update! It's been three days and Lola's swollen and itchy paws are back to normal already! No more waking up in the middle of the night to itch herself madly! Now we're waking up to drink lots of water and pee at 4am because of the steroids, but they are helping! We go from 6 pills/day to 3 pill/day tomorrow, then decreasing doses for another 10 days or so. In the meantime, we're adding some bison/veggie raw patties to the venison/lamb diet, maybe a switch will prevent this reaction from coming back when the meds are gone. I'll get pics this week after i unpack all our crap from the family wedding this weekend.

Glad she is doing better, hate the steroids, but sometimes they are a necessary evil. Hugs to you and Lola
Ooooo wedding, any pictures to share.

harvey

Sep 6, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harvey and Tommy
Great! Good news. My two bullies have been going through the same thing. The pink in between the toes may be a yeast build up. We have, recommended in an article on this blog, restricted our bulldogs from foods with starches, such as potatos, and gains, such as rice. Even the treats do not contain these ingredients; therefore, they eat frezze-dried liver treats now. And, we give them paw rinses two to three times a week. The rinse is made of one part white vinegar, three parts of water, and 10-20 drops of pepermint extract. Their symptoms have gotten so much better, but I won't know more for another month or two.

Good luck and please keep us informed.
Patty

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Glad she is doing better, hate the steroids, but sometimes they are a necessary evil. Hugs to you and Lola
Ooooo wedding, any pictures to share.

why are steroids so evil? i know long term they can affect the liver and have other side effects, but short term?? or is it a slippery slope.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Glad to hear she's doing so much better already. :clap2: Sorry I missed your first post, all that itching has to be unbearable. I go nuts with a mosquito bite!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
why are steroids so evil? i know long term they can affect the liver and have other side effects, but short term?? or is it a slippery slope.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Mor, for me, the side effects. Banks and Nitschke both had such bad side effects..... very high heart rates, sleep issues, peeing all over the house, obsecne burst of energy where we could not calm them down... and Banks more so, would get very aggressive. They also just cover the issue and not really fix anything - they are good for short term relief. Just my opinion.

OP
aprilemari

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
OMG speaking of weird steroid effects.. @2BullyMama Lola ATE ALL THE CAT'S FOOD when we went to work yesterday!!! I know that she has had increased hunger, she's ravaged the raw patties (which we added 50% to each meal to accommodate) twice daily. But she's never gone after Meep's food. Ben went home at lunch to let her out (since she may have increased peeing), and texted me asking whether I emptied the cat's dry food bowl. :no: Lola ate every last kibblet of really crappy (purina weight loss management) cat kibble. I'm sure it has a ton of things I've been avoiding, like CHICKEN. No allergic reaction though! I was getting anxious because Ben asked me about the kibble and then no response for like 40 minutes. Now Meep has to eat her kibble on the dining room table (which we don't actually eat on, it's in the sunroom). Also, Lola took a huge deuce this morning.

sidenote Meep is named because she meeps ALOT. meep! meep. Meep! MEEP!

Last edited:

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Aww poor baby. Glad the medications are working, and I hope she gets relief and feels better soon.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.