Inetresting read

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Been going through this with sausage. My vet found this article. Been having trouble with my video upload, sausage has had a few of these head tremors in the last week.

diopathic Head Tremors

Contributors:

Linda Shell, DVM, DACVIM (Neurology)

Synonyms:

Movement disorder

Head shakes

Dyskinesia

Head tremors

Disease description:

This is a clinical sign, and/or syndrome, of unknown etiology that results in intermittent head tremors. There are no retrospective or prospective publications and much of what is known about the disorder has been passed down from neurologist to neurologist. There have been at least 3 theories as to the origin of the tremors.

They may represent a focal seizure discharge.
They are a form of dyskinesia or a spontaneous discharge from the basal nuclei which are involved in patterned motor activity.
They may be an abnormality of the stretch mechanism and the proprioceptive pathway of the head (trigeminal nerve). this theory may explain why the head tremors temporarily stop when their attention is diverted i.e. when they are directed to look at you or something else, the neck muscles tense which may release the stretch mechanism that is provoking the tremors.

CLINICAL SIGNS

Certain breeds have been identified as being affected. Clinical signs consist predominantly of episodes of head tremors that last seconds to a few minutes. Affected dogs appear to be fully alert during these episodes. The head tremors are described as either up and down (like shaking the head "yes") or back and forth (like shaking the head "no"). The tremors seem to start and stop spontaneously, but dogs may be momentarily distracted during the episode by directing their attention to something. Thus far, patients have not developed any other neurological deficits and generalized seizure activity has not been reported.

These links are to videos that show the tremors:

Bulldog with tremors

Boxer with tremors

DIAGNOSTICS AND TREATMENTS

Diagnostic evaluations, including MRI and spinal fluid analysis results, are typically normal. Nevertheless, if the dog develops any persistent neurological deficits, then a thorough workup would be in order.

The response to anticonvulsants is somewhat controversial with some neurologists indicating no response and others indicating that some dogs seem to respond.

Etiology:

Idiopathic, unknown

Breed predilection:

Boxer
Doberman pinscher
English bulldog
Labrador retriever

Clinical findings:

AFEBRILE

ANOREXIA, HYPOREXIA

Ataxia, incoordination

Bark, increased vocalization

Cachexia, weight loss

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM (CNS) SIGNS

Dysmetria

Exercise intolerant or reluctant to move

Head tremors

Hypersalivation

Kyphosis, spinal deviation dorsal

LAMENESS

Malaise, depression, dullness

Menace response absent or decreased

Nausea

Proprioception decreased

Rising difficulty

Torticollis, neck twisted

TREMORS

Unable to stand

VOMITING

Walking difficulty

ZZZ INDEX ZZZ

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
yes, very scary and very, very common with our babies. There is an article here about it too.... it is good to know they are harmless, but scary nontheless

thanks for the add'l info

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thanks for the info.

KMARINO

I couldn't make this sh*t up if I tried!
Jul 21, 2010
Bradenton Fl.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
VEGAS and REBEL
Vegas has done this 3 times, First time was over his beloved stuffie that my husband was playing keep away from, second, at the vet a big shepard kept barking at him. Third, again at the vet when his eye was swelled shut, he was just very nervous I think. It is VERY scarey and I freak out, but I know to just distract him and it will stop.

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Mt second bullydid this a few times but it is more frequent with sausage

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Chum hasn't had one in a week. He averages one every few days..when he was given an unnecessary 3 yr rabies shot in July he was getting them 6 times a day! They are not fun to watch.

OP
Tank1023

Tank1023

Oct 16, 2012
Colorado
Bulldog(s) Names
Sausage
Poor Chum! We've been trying to find out what sausage is allergic to all summer, he'll scratch himself raw on his belly. He was on so many meds I thought maybe these were related but after the article I think they were not associated.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.