Blood in diarrhea- 9 week old puppy

nikegirl44

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Hey everyone. So I am at work right now and my wife just called to tell me our new 9 week old bully Poppy has diarrhea and there was a little blood as well. So of course I start to freak out and google. Lol.

We got her last Friday and she had started to eat Iams puppy food from the breeder but I know that's not the greatest choice. So we are in the process of switching her too Fromm puppy food(pink bag). We have been doing 3/4 iams and 1/4 Fromm three times a day since Saturday. Does anyone know if switching food will cause blood in diarrhea? We are making sure to do it slowly. Also, a side bar question, is it safe to move it to 1/2 iams 1/2 Fromm now? Or over what time period should I completely be feeding her Fromm?

So back to Poppy, she is acting complete like her self, running around playing with our 2 year old bull Tubby. She has tons of energy not lethargic. She ate this morning and is drinking water. Of course after my google experience I started looking into symptoms of Parvovirus. The only one she has right now is bloody diarrhea. Oh and it's only happened once this morning, but she hasn't gone poop yet again.

She got her first set of shots with the breeder, we're waiting for her shot records to get to our house ( they mailed them a couple days ago ) to see take her to get her next round.

She has been inside the house except for going potty in our fenced back yard. Tubby is current on his shots. So am I over reacting thinking parvovirus? Should we hold off on taking her to the vet? Or is it serious enough to take her now? My wife is going to call me as soon as she goes poop again, to see if she still has blood.

Any advice would be greatly appreciate!
Thanks!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I tagged a few puppy experts for you.... I'm thinking it is not the food, but when they are 9 wks old, I am not sure

OP
N

nikegirl44

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I tagged a few puppy experts for you.... I'm thinking it is not the food, but when they are 9 wks old, I am not sure

Thanks so much! Yeah I am thinking it's not the food too...

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
When we switched June to the Fromm Puppy we did it over a week's time. So it's probably fine to do 1/2 Iams and 1/2 Fromm now.

Kmb470

Jun 25, 2013
Philadelphia, Pa
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
I had almost the same issue when we got Bruno in July. It sounds like a stomache virus or worm.

Here's what you do:
1. First, stop feeding her kibble and move to boiled chicken and rice, with a table spoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!) which will help firm up the stool
2. Wash bowls between feedings with hot, soappy water and toys and anything else she really comes in contact with every day.
3. Get to a vet for a Fecal matter test, and make sure they check for Giardia! Thats what Bruno had, and it took forever to get healed, so you want to catch it early, and stay on top of it!
4. Based on age and sickness, take her out every 2 hours, even at night!
5. Finally, dont really take her outside for walks or around where other dogs are or have been. Also, try to resist the urge to kiss your dog and wash your hands after handling her. If its giardia, humans can get it too!

Good luck!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I had almost the same issue when we got Bruno in July. It sounds like a stomache virus or worm.

Here's what you do:
1. First, stop feeding her kibble and move to boiled chicken and rice, with a table spoon of canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix!) which will help firm up the stool
2. Wash bowls between feedings with hot, soappy water and toys and anything else she really comes in contact with every day.
3. Get to a vet for a Fecal matter test, and make sure they check for Giardia! Thats what Bruno had, and it took forever to get healed, so you want to catch it early, and stay on top of it!
5. Finally, dont really take her outside for walks or around where other dogs are or have been. Also, try to resist the urge to kiss your dog and wash your hands after handling her. If its giardia, humans can get it too!

Good luck!

Excellent advice!!! :up:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Here's what you do:

Good luck!

Excellent post!! thanks!

cefe13

Sep 12, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Castor (2013-2021 RIP)
Castor had a similar problem which was probably due to a change of food plus the stress of transitioning from his birth home to a new environment. We gave him small portions of round-grained rice and minced meat (cooked for a long time in a lot of water) and the problems cleared up in a few days and then we moved very slowly to the new food.

Hope Poppy gets well soon!

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
We tried fromm puppy also and it gave both our pups raging diarrhea..no more fromm puppy!!! No blood though but give warmed rice and boiled chicken and keep watching...get a fecal test now.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Excellent advise above, and until the diarrhea clears up, I would not increase the FROMM, just yet. It is not unusual for them to have a little blood in their diarrhea. It could just be from a stomach bug. I hope it clears up soon. Parvo will come on quickly with vomiting and diarrhea, and they will soon become lethargic. Hope your baby gets well soon.

OP
N

nikegirl44

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Thank you all so much! I just got back from the vet. Took a stool sample to them and they tested it, everything is all clear! Fewf. We're going to take your advice and give her a bland diet boiled chicken and rice tonight. We also bought some pumpkin to give her. The vet also recommended giving her probiotic. So for that I can give her some yogurt right? Should it be plain? How much? Oh and is Greek yogurt ok or should it be regular?

Thanks again! You all are great!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you all so much! I just got back from the vet. Took a stool sample to them and they tested it, everything is all clear! Fewf. We're going to take your advice and give her a bland diet boiled chicken and rice tonight. We also bought some pumpkin to give her. The vet also recommended giving her probiotic. So for that I can give her some yogurt right? Should it be plain? How much? Oh and is Greek yogurt ok or should it be regular?

Thanks again! You all are great!

NICE!! Always good when there is no need for meds!! Plain Greek or regular... just like a teaspoon should be good enough

OP
N

nikegirl44

Mar 20, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
NICE!! Always good when there is no need for meds!! Plain Greek or regular... just like a teaspoon should be good enough

It's too bad that I took our other bully Tubby to the vet as well because he has an allergic reaction to something. He has red bumps all over his legs and arms, watery eyes and even has some hives :(. So, he got some meds! $199.93 later! Oh well, there our kids and they are well worth it!

Xo

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It's too bad that I took our other bully Tubby to the vet as well because he has an allergic reaction to something. He has red bumps all over his legs and arms, watery eyes and even has some hives :(. So, he got some meds! $199.93 later! Oh well, there our kids and they are well worth it!

Xo

UGH!! hives, suck!

kristimorrill

Aug 10, 2013
san diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie, Daisy and George
Forgot to mention that we boil the rice in chicken or beef broth vice water. Heat it up at meal time...puppies go crazy for it as plain rice is boring to them!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.