General Question Anyone tried Onsior 40mg from Novartis?

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Naboomspruit, South Africa.
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Boeboe, Bennie Boy and Joey
Our vet gave this to us to give to Boeboe when she's in pain due to her having hip dysplasia. If she plays to rough she sometimes gets pain and we used to give her either Rimadyl or Previcox. Now the vet says Onsior is much easier on her liver and it can be given during a longer period of time. We usually only give her Rimadyl or Previcox for a day or possibly two if she needs it. She doesn't need pain meds often, maybe once a month... She's going in for a review in December regarding her Hip Dysplasia but I noticed now she seems a bit grumpy and they played like crazy yesterday so it's very likely she's hurting:*(

I'm a bit scared every time I have to give them something new... she has never had any side effects from medicine in the past but I just wanted to see if anyone here has any experience when it comes to Onsior?

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I've never heard of it. If you're uncomfortable, contact your vet and ask about the side effects.

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
I've never heard of it. If you're uncomfortable, contact your vet and ask about the side effects.

She gave us this cos it is supposed to have less side effects and it attacks the right enzyme and spares the other... if I got it right:confused: but she also mentioned that it's "new" which makes me a bit nervous:eek: I don't know if it's new here in South Africa or if it's new on the market. I've searched the internet to see if some horror stories are available but I cant find anything. I'll wait till the morning to give it to her if she still needs it so I can keep an eye on her. She's already in bed, looking very comfy and snoring so I guess she wont be needing it right now:)

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I have never used it before, so don't know anything about it, so I would just ask your vet about the side affects.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I never heard of it, but will ask my vet on Wednesday... Cheli has a check up so all I have to do is remember. :D

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION], since our vet said it's new on the market in South Africa she wont know about side effects apart from the once described on paper. I'm guessing they only go by what the rep for the company says and that will obviously only be good things:mellow: Our vet is great and I know she gave us this only with good intentions but it would be nice to know other opinions too:) If she's still showing pain today I'll give her Previcox I think till I know more about this Onsior... but she's running around like crazy barking at the neighbors gardener as I'm writing this so I guess she's doing pretty good:blush2:

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you @2BullyMama, since our vet said it's new on the market in South Africa she wont know about side effects apart from the once described on paper. I'm guessing they only go by what the rep for the company says and that will obviously only be good things:mellow: Our vet is great and I know she gave us this only with good intentions but it would be nice to know other opinions too:) If she's still showing pain today I'll give her Previcox I think till I know more about this Onsior... but she's running around like crazy barking at the neighbors gardener as I'm writing this so I guess she's doing pretty good:blush2:

Did some reading of it on the web this morning... looks like it may be a replacement or new generation of Derramaxx, but I'll find out more from my vet on Wednesday

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you @2BullyMama, since our vet said it's new on the market in South Africa she wont know about side effects apart from the once described on paper. I'm guessing they only go by what the rep for the company says and that will obviously only be good things:mellow: Our vet is great and I know she gave us this only with good intentions but it would be nice to know other opinions too:) If she's still showing pain today I'll give her Previcox I think till I know more about this Onsior... but she's running around like crazy barking at the neighbors gardener as I'm writing this so I guess she's doing pretty good:blush2:

Ok so i was a day off on when I was going to the vet... it was today. I spoke to one of the vet techs as the vet was not yet at the office when I dropped Cheli off. She said it is used in the States for cats only at this time, but it has good results with little side effects. it is basically the same as derramaxx, just 'new'.

Hope that helps

OP
Petra

Petra

Jan 8, 2013
Country
Sweden
Bulldog(s) Names
Ok so i was a day off on when I was going to the vet... it was today. I spoke to one of the vet techs as the vet was not yet at the office when I dropped Cheli off. She said it is used in the States for cats only at this time, but it has good results with little side effects. it is basically the same as derramaxx, just 'new'.

Hope that helps

For cats, lol. I saw on the website it is also used on cats, but there were directions on how to use it on dogs too so maybe it's just new for dogs... ah, I'll give it to Boeboe next time she needs it, I do trust our vet, they are very kind to animals and are involved in lots of community charity as well. They're not the kind that would sell what ever gives them the best profit:)

Thank you so much for your help:heart: It always feels better to hear feedback from other people as well:)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
For cats, lol. I saw on the website it is also used on cats, but there were directions on how to use it on dogs too so maybe it's just new for dogs... ah, I'll give it to Boeboe next time she needs it, I do trust our vet, they are very kind to animals and are involved in lots of community charity as well. They're not the kind that would sell what ever gives them the best profit:)

Thank you so much for your help:heart: It always feels better to hear feedback from other people as well:)

no problem.... anything to help the babies!! The tech was really cool and said she personally likes it for her older cat

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.