Rash/sores? Possible allergy or....?

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Morning everyone!!
Of course we all wish we're in the clear when it comes to skin problems and bulldogs... turns out, maybe mine didn't come true after all!

I noticed this last week that Winslow had some irritation on one leg. I was planning on making a wellness/meet and greet visit with a new vet this coming week so I kept an eye on it to see how it would go. And it got a lot worse, really fast. :unsure:

I wanted to see if anyone could give me some input on it? What they think it might be, and what I can do in the meantime. It doesn't seem to bother him - I haven't seen him lick it much, it doesn't smell, and he isn't bothered by my touching it. But it sure looks nasty!

This is when I noticed that it really needs attention....

the tutu was the consequence of chewing up a piece of my brand new filter for my aquarium! errr!!!

His diet hasn't really had any recent changes....
He eats original Hollistic Health Extension, has been on it since he was with the breeders. I did introduce salmon treats about a month and a half ago.. could that have anything to do with it?
Also, I don't know if this is worth mentioning, but last weekend he made his first trip to the beach. Could the sand have irritated his skin in any way?

Certainly hope not, for the sake of his happiness :D pure joy, right there!

Thanks for your help, I know that without really seeing it and knowing exactly what the cause is, you can't make any certain diagnosis. But if I can do anything to calm it down you know I will!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like a possible staph maybe? I would wash it with antibacterial and put some neosporin on it, if you can get chlorihexidine or Vetericyn that would be good too. Poor baby. :(

Love the beach picture and yes, who knows with these guys that is certainly possible!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Is it dry and flaky or moist and seeping?

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Looks like a possible staph maybe? I would wash it with antibacterial and put some neosporin on it, if you can get chlorihexidine or Vetericyn that would be good too. Poor baby. :(

Love the beach picture and yes, who knows with these guys that is certainly possible!

Thanks! Should I use duxo pads? I have a tub of them but never knew what to use them for haha.
Goinf to the store soon, I don't know what those last two are but I'll take a look, and use neosporin for now.
Thanks!

Is it dry and flaky or moist and seeping?
In between? The one on his foot almost looks scabbed over. On his leg, they don't seem dried out but there's no pus or other fluid coming through. Is that what you mean?
Thanks for your response!

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
Love your pics. Especially him in the tutu..lol..

Yes, the salt water and sand could very well have irritated him. Happened with Blue twice. Second time we tried to rinse him off with fresh water but he still had a reaction.
Give him a bath with a shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, dry him very well, then spray Vetericyn on his leg and foot until healed. (This worked for us).
Be sure to keep these areas dry. If you see him licking, spray some Bitter Apple on him You don't want him licking these areas, it takes longer to heal when they lick.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Love your pics. Especially him in the tutu..lol..

Yes, the salt water and sand could very well have irritated him. Happened with Blue twice. Second time we tried to rinse him off with fresh water but he still had a reaction.
Give him a bath with a shampoo that contains chlorhexidine, dry him very well, then spray Vetericyn on his leg and foot until healed. (This worked for us).
Be sure to keep these areas dry. If you see him licking, spray some Bitter Apple on him You don't want him licking these areas, it takes longer to heal when they lick.

Haha thanks. He earned that one! :p

Where can I find the vetericyn?

Is It bad enough with Blue that you don't go anymore? We live so close! It would be a shame to ban the beach for him. Thanks for your input :)

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I get Vetericyn at Petco. I'm sure most pet stores carry it.

We only took him twice this summer. Not sure what we're gonna do next year. The beach is only 25 minutes away from us so yeah, we're not thrilled either..
Lakes don't have any effect on him though. So maybe try that if you have one nearby?

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Salt water galore! Haha we do have a stream at the park where we take him, he's splashed in there once and enjoyed it. I'll go look for the vetericyn (and then buy him a squeaky, can't resist!) thanks for the tip!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Douxo pads can work too :up:

If you still want to go to the beach just be sure to give a bath when you get home to wash off the irritants, unless it becomes a severe problem each time you may have to avoid it altogether. :(

The chlorine in our pool irritates ours on occasion so I just give a quick bath afterwards if they get in :)

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Thanks! I sure hope that's not the case but I rather it be that than an allergy... is that even a possible culprit do you think? I know I've read about skin problems associated with food allergies but I don't really know what that would look like.

So cute that they go in the pool!!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It could absolutely be an allergy, or an invasion of bad bacteria (and not enough good bacteria to fight it off). The treats could also be the culprit, or the season. Since you have been feeding that food for quite some time I don't suspect it at this point but you just never know!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)

That is what I was thinking, Staph, it looks kinda like Sheldon's belly did when he had Staph.

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Yikes!
We were just about to get him some insurance too, hope this doesn't put him on some pre-existing condition that shoots up our rates!

I did clean them up with a duoxo pad, and applied neosporin about three hours ago. They seem more raw now :(

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
Yikes!
We were just about to get him some insurance too, hope this doesn't put him on some pre-existing condition that shoots up our rates!

I did clean them up with a duoxo pad, and applied neosporin about three hours ago. They seem more raw now :(

I'd use some Hibiclens on them and dry them well maybe even put some gold bond powder on them a couple times a day if it doesn't get better you might want to get some oral antibiotics

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 4

OP
jenzaar

jenzaar

Aug 24, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winslow
Poor Winslow :(
Is the hubiclens also easily available?

Most Reactions