General Question Caltrate 600-D

triplej

Sep 22, 2013
Ky. Near Natural Bridge state park.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullett, Salley, Kelsey and Kate
My bully had problems with hot spots like more than usual I was advised to give him ester-c 1000 mg and caltrate 600-D 1/2 tablet each day, due to his week immune system also been giving one fish oil tablet. Any thoughts on this thanks.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have heard of the fish oil being givens for different reasons, but not the other two. I tagged a member that may be able to give so insight.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Hmmmm... While I don't see anything wrong with giving Vit C and Calcium as well as fish oil (so good for the skin), I think the important thing would be to try to identify the cause of the hot spots. Hot spots are usually associated with a food allergy.

I sure hope your baby feels better, what food are you currently feeding and how long have you been battling hot spots? Where are the hot spots located?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby (my Sweetie Head 10.24.11-11.23.12) and Otis
My bully had problems with hot spots like more than usual I was advised to give him ester-c 1000 mg and caltrate 600-D 1/2 tablet each day, due to his week immune system also been giving one fish oil tablet. Any thoughts on this thanks.

Hot spots are almost always due to an allergic reaction, usually triggered by something in the diet. Boosting his immune system is never a bad thing but caltrate will do nothing to help in that respect. Who told you to add this? Was it after reading blood test results? Is there a calcium deficiency they are trying to correct?

Calcium does a lot of great things for the body. It strengthens bone & muscle tissue and it improves the nervous system. But too much of it can cause a whole lot of other problem if not balanced.

OP
triplej

triplej

Sep 22, 2013
Ky. Near Natural Bridge state park.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bullett, Salley, Kelsey and Kate
My avatar is the bully reference hot spots. I was feeding O-Roy but now feed Canidae all life stages. A friend advised to use Ester-C and Vit-D. He was taken to a Vet several times when a pup but the hot spots would reappear in short time. Now that he is over 2 years old he seldom has problems. Just wondering if I done something wrong and could correct with next bullie. One vet that I used but a lot of antibiotics through him, wondering if this could have damaged him ?

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
... Just wondering if I done something wrong and could correct with next bullie. One vet that I used but a lot of antibiotics through him, wondering if this could have damaged him ?

You love him and only want the best for him. Because you love him, nothing you could ever do can be considered "wrong" :)

Ester-C is a good thing but I wouldn't give him vitamin D. Some vitamins are what they call water soluble meaning that what the body doesn't need are excreted through the urine. This makes it very difficult if not impossible to get too much of them. Then there are vitamins that are called fat soluble meaning that the body stores the extra in the fatty tissue of the body. When fat cells are burned the extra vitamins are released back into the blood stream. If you are giving one of these fat soluble vitamins daily it will essentially double the amount in the body and that can and probably will make them sick. Vitamin D is one of these that if given too much can be toxic (A, E and K are the others)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I also give the salmon oil, but am not familiar with giving the Ester C or Caltrate to dogs. Most vitamins and supplements that are safe for humans are usually safe to give to our dogs as well, I'm just not sure if the amounts would be the same, or if you should go by their weight. Maybe a child's dose or a supplement made specifically for children would be a better choice for the lower amounts, as a bully would have the same weight as a child. If not sure it's always best to either check with your vet, or I always find that a good source for information on medications and vitamins is the pharmacist.

Twice

My Bully Gave Me Wings
Feb 3, 2012
Woodbridge Township, NJ
Bulldog(s) Names
Be very VERY careful about giving them any vitamins or medication made for children. More often than not they contain xylitol which is deadly for dogs. Just a few grams will kill an adult dog, a few mg can cause permanent liver damage

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Be very VERY careful about giving them any vitamins or medication made for children. More often than not they contain xylitol which is deadly for dogs. Just a few grams will kill an adult dog, a few mg can cause permanent liver damage

That is excellent information, thank you Bev!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.