Tuna ???

Cocosmammy123

Apr 11, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Coco
Hi all just got a new pup he's called meaty and is 8 week old. Only had him a night he's totally loveable. The breeder had him on a supermarket own label puppy food a no it's not good as I have another bully. She was on James well beloved till she got spayed an went off every thing and would only eat bakers yuk ano ok trying to get her back on James well belovered. Any way back to the pup. Someone said that tuna is really good for any dog a was just wondering is this true and if so how old would he need to be before a start him on some ?? Tia x

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know there are a few brands here in the US that are Tuna based kibble so I would think you can at some point.... Not sure if you need to be concerned on age? Going to tag a few members to see if they have ant advice for you.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
Are you speaking canned or fresh? I'm quessing canned, cause at least here fresh is quite expensive and hard to come by even for humans. Canned has much too much salt in it to be good for your bullys.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was going to say that here in the states they advise humans NOT to consume a lot of canned tuna because of the mercury content... not to mention like [MENTION=3354]RiiSi[/MENTION] advised on the salt content.

Rural mystic

Jan 1, 2013
North Florida
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Ace
I feed tuna and salmon [from the pouch] as a topper on the kibble quite frequently and the dogs really like it. I think the product in the pouch contains less sodium and less water but if you are concerned about the sodium content you can buy it specified with low sodium. A 2.5 oz pouch of BumbleBee premium albacore tuna has 140 mg of sodium I think the low sodium has about half that much but I'm not positive.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Like it was said before tuna got mercury ,canned sardines but drained from oil once a week are great too rich in omega 3 (we dont put whole can in ) there are much better dog food than james wellbeloved for the same price -we are currently testing salmon one made by pets at home -fishmongers finest (60% of salmon ) - as my girls gone off james wellbeloved too uou could also try fish for dogs that a little more expensive but same stuff than fismongersfinest ,sadly they are currently doing 10 kg bags only as well as wet food too ,my for some reason i think they doing tuna flavour too ,sorry im on the mobile out and about and my signal is not very good to check
Atm my girls loving fishmongersfinest ,looking that jameswelbeloved fish percentage dropped in recent years i was on a look out for better food and just my luck that girls gone off it too
Ps lily is on it from 4 months -as they dont do puppy kibble as yet

Last edited:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Yeah I'm not too sure about (canned) Tuna, at least not daily. Maybe as an occasional treat/topper I don't see a problem with it. Obviously fresh fish that has been steamed would be ideal :)

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.