Thread: Idopathic Head Tremors

Bulldog Vet in Training bluesteelapd's Avatar
    Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Hey Ya'll - I'm reaching out for help.
    This head tremor stuff has now been going on with Mona since Sunday. We have a vet appt for this Saturday and although I've done a lot of research on this topic since it started happening, I can't find any advise on why this is happening every night. The tremors don't seem to start until Mona is completely on her back. They seem to last about a minute, and will then stop, then start up again for another minute, then stop for the rest of the night until the next night. I'm trying not to get paranoid about this, and have tried honey to stop them. The first bought will stop with the honey, but then they start right back up again, at which point, we hold her and stroke her head, tell her it's ok and try to talk soothingly to her. Turn off all the lights and help her go to sleep. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Olaf & Ivana
    Likes (Received)

Honestly, it's not hurting her...as long as she is safe in her surroundings I think it's ok. Obvoiusly if it is some sort blood sugar issue or real medical problem then something needs to be done but I guess only the vet can diagnose it....so see what they can come up with.

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    Hey Ya'll - I'm reaching out for help.
    This head tremor stuff has now been going on with Mona since Sunday. We have a vet appt for this Saturday and although I've done a lot of research on this topic since it started happening, I can't find any advise on why this is happening every night. The tremors don't seem to start until Mona is completely on her back. They seem to last about a minute, and will then stop, then start up again for another minute, then stop for the rest of the night until the next night. I'm trying not to get paranoid about this, and have tried honey to stop them. The first bought will stop with the honey, but then they start right back up again, at which point, we hold her and stroke her head, tell her it's ok and try to talk soothingly to her. Turn off all the lights and help her go to sleep. Any advise on this would be greatly appreciated!!!
    The first times it happened to Samson it was a once a day for a couple days like that, this was Sept last year and he was 3 yrs old. Always right before he fell asleep but wasn't actually asleep yet. Now it MUCH less frequent, like not even once a month. It only EVER affects his head, bobbing back and forth like he was saying no. Does not affect another part of his body, he can walk, give kisses, eat, its just a movement of the head. If thats the case with Mona I'm sure she's fine. It's good to go get a check up, we did right after it started. All exams, blood test, parasite tests, it all came back normal. Its just an odd thing. Doctor told me only to worry if the episodes cahnge like start affecting his whole body, he foams at the mouth, etc. Now as soon as it starts I give him a scoop of food and by the time hes done eating the tremor has stopped.

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Tessa, thank you so much for your post. We've done a ton of research on this, but nothing says "It will happen every day in the beginning, then should taper off". That's what scared us the most. I've been sick to my stomach worrying about this so I took her to the vet last night. I was prepared for no answers and that's what I got. They took blood and we'll have the results today. He said it could be this, it could be that, it could be 15 other things (again, I was prepared for this). At this point he said if her blood work comes back fine, and it's not hurting her, there's other tests they could run, but if the breeder says it's ok, she seems fine. He did a thorough exam (much better than he ever did on my boxer) and will call me today with the results.

Tessa, your post means the world to me. Thank you for letting me know your precious boy went through this nightly in the beginning, too. I think Momo is just going to have to learn a new way to sleep, instead of on her back. Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!

Doggie Boutique Owner Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Chip
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Molly, Mandy, Jesse, Yuna & Tidus
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Please keep us updated. I am certain that this will not be the last time someone has this, and the more we all know about these the more we can help future bullies. I have another friend on fb and it was just like that- constantly happened for a several days and then it just stopped all together. I should share this with her, maybe she has some input on their experience too...
    aka "Bullpapa DeLano" on facebook

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Thank you bulldog! I certainly appreciate any help I can get on this!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Dually,Carly,Abby,Gretta,Sissy Pooh-Bear,McLovin,Sadie. pups T-Jay,Dexter,Olver,Bailey,Miley& Mya
    Likes (Received)

Yeah my McLovin has had head tremors... after researching it, it seemed to only in his time of stress. My girls in heat, it would happen every time!!!! Then they seemed to go away for months!!! Then we had a litter of pups and it started back up again. Was told by the vet and other bully friends to get him fixed, so we did! IDK if that will cure it but yes it is a very scary thing to watch...

Member of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bluesteelapd View Post
    Tessa, thank you so much for your post. We've done a ton of research on this, but nothing says "It will happen every day in the beginning, then should taper off". That's what scared us the most. I've been sick to my stomach worrying about this so I took her to the vet last night. I was prepared for no answers and that's what I got. They took blood and we'll have the results today. He said it could be this, it could be that, it could be 15 other things (again, I was prepared for this). At this point he said if her blood work comes back fine, and it's not hurting her, there's other tests they could run, but if the breeder says it's ok, she seems fine. He did a thorough exam (much better than he ever did on my boxer) and will call me today with the results.

Tessa, your post means the world to me. Thank you for letting me know your precious boy went through this nightly in the beginning, too. I think Momo is just going to have to learn a new way to sleep, instead of on her back. Thank you again!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh you are so very welcome. I know what you are going through. I did tons of research on bulldogs before I got Samson and after but never came across information on these head tremors so I had no idea what it was. Honestly I started crying hysterically and just freaking out. I thought something terrible was happening, it was 5am in the morning and I was home alone. I'm lucky my vet office is open 24/7 for emergencies and I was able to talk to a vet right away that knew what they were. He calmed me down alot, then after we actually went in and I was able to talk to the vet in person and see that all his tests came back normal I was so relieved. Let us know what the results are!

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Here's a video, taken a few mins ago, of Momo's head tremors. She's had 4 episodes in the past two hours. (I took her to the vet on Thursday, he did a great exam on her, took blood, results came in Friday. She's in perfect shape. 41.2 lbs, blood results were perfect. Idopathic head tremors was his dx for Momo. Deep sigh)

Last edited by bluesteelapd; 06-19-2010 at 10:40 PM.

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I love the way her ears perked up with "here's your football". She's so precious. You talk her thru them like I do with Vegas. You are a good mom!

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Cheryl
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Vegas and Orion
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I know this tread was started for information on head tremors, but I've received questions about Vegas seizures and I wanted to share. I've included videos of Vegas in various stages of seizures. Before, during and after. Usually before its fly-chasing, circle turning, and aggression. After it's pacing, running into things, and sleepiness.
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1096.mp4
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1182.mp4
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1188.mp4
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1184.mp4
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1147.mp4
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1186.mp4
    http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r...t=MVI_1097.mp4
    Last edited by Libra926; 06-19-2010 at 11:46 PM.

Real Name
    ~Carmin~
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Mona Lisa and Leonardo
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for sharing those videos with us all! It's one thing to read about these things and a whole nother thing to actually see what it looks like on video. I don't know how you do it. I'd be a basket case all day with what Vegas goes through, how do you stay strong to work through this? Is he on any medicaitons for it? How old is he? Thank you again for posting the videos, he's a handsome boy.

Oh yeah, and in one of the videos when you told him to sit, Momo, who was right next to me, sat down. ;-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads