Infected tail pocket

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
I made a rookie mistake last night and now poor Tubby is suffering. So before bed last night I was doing his usual wipe down of wrinkles and tail pocket. Well idiot that I am forget to dry his tail pocket after cleaning it. He has been scooting and trying to get at it. I lifted it up and its all red and it has some funky smell to it. Aside from taking him to the vets what can I do for tonight???? We don't have an neosporin, apple cider vinegar, desitin, anything in this stupid house!!!!!! Anything I can do til I can get him to the vet???

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Poor Tubby, I hope he feels better soon. I'm not sure what else you can use. Sorry I am no help. Brutus does not have a tail pocket.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Do you have any witch hazel?!! That's what I use on Winston's...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Just clean it with a baby wipe towelette and then dry it with a paper or cloth towel. Don't feel so bad, it happens to all of us.

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Awww..poor baby...My Harley had that a few months ago. We had to go to the vet and get a cortisone shot in his tail, antibiotics and he shaved some hair from his tail to give it some air ( boy Harley hated that!) also gave us Dermachlor Flush Plus w/lidocaine it numbs and cleans area..great for hot spots an folds. Not sure theres anything you can do till then...but after the vet all will be better. Hope Tubby feels better real soon and dont feel bad...we are all here to help. Let us know how it goes, good luck!

Jennifer Clark

I can handle the whiskey, if you can handle the nu
Community Veteran
Apr 16, 2013
Searcy, Arkansas
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sheldon A.K.A Shelly Bean (06-12-19); Duecy (9-13-14); Maddie (4-16-19)
do you have any powder w/o cornstarch? If so clean it with the witch hazel, dry it, put the powder there and that should give Tubs some relief give him muzzies from us Sheldon says "head up Buddy, Skin Mommy will take care of it, high paw"

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Just clean it with a baby wipe towelette and then dry it with a paper or cloth towel. Don't feel so bad, it happens to all of us.

The other thing I've noticed is he is super gassy tonight. Its not just one loud or long one its multiple little ones back to back. Is this a side affect of his tail pocket?

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
[MENTION=7831]TubbysMom[/MENTION] I wouldn't think so, if so I have never noticed it.

Susie

Jul 4, 2013
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Howie
The other thing I've noticed is he is super gassy tonight. Its not just one loud or long one its multiple little ones back to back. Is this a side affect of his tail pocket?

Sounds like a food allergy issue. Best to analyze what he had eaten. And use baby powder with cornstarch to soak the moisture for the tail pocket.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
Ok so I called the vet today to make Tubby an appointment but the only vet in today is the one I hate. She's a perfectly nice girl but she doesn't know her a$$ from a hole in the ground. Is this something I should try to manage on my own or just bite the bullet and see her. When I called I told her his tail pocket is infected and he needs some meds. She asked what I meant by tail pocket. I really hate going to her they charge $70 just for the exam and I feel I could do a better check then her. I was thinking to get some witch hazel, gold bond and a neosporin to start the process.

What do you guyys think? I told Tubby's dad and of course he was all for me playing vet as Tubby is our little money pit lol

Harleyleeotis12321

Jul 26, 2013
Buffalo Grove, IL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harley Lee Otis Davidson Eckert
Harley had the gas thing too..I tried neosporin everything, it only got worse. Also he wouldn't lay down to sleep or go out to do potty...really go to the vet and tell her all you know and tell her $$ is low. It took about three days for Harley to get any relief and a good 7-9 days before he got better...Hope all works out, let us know.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Ok so I called the vet today to make Tubby an appointment but the only vet in today is the one I hate. She's a perfectly nice girl but she doesn't know her a$$ from a hole in the ground. Is this something I should try to manage on my own or just bite the bullet and see her. When I called I told her his tail pocket is infected and he needs some meds. She asked what I meant by tail pocket. I really hate going to her they charge $70 just for the exam and I feel I could do a better check then her. I was thinking to get some witch hazel, gold bond and a neosporin to start the process.

What do you guyys think? I told Tubby's dad and of course he was all for me playing vet as Tubby is our little money pit lol

She asked you WHAT??? Not only would I not see her, I would have a discussion with the Head vet in the office. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. What exactly would she be charging you $70 for if she has no idea how to handle why you are there??? I think you have the experience and know how to help tubby at home, and there are plenty of people here that have dealt with this so you will have help. I would go in if it didn't resolve in a decent amount of time. I'm sure someone here can tell you the time frame in which this should resolve. Holy crap this pisses me off.

OP
T

TubbysMom

Community Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Country
Toronto, ON Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Tubby
She asked you WHAT??? Not only would I not see her, I would have a discussion with the Head vet in the office. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard of. What exactly would she be charging you $70 for if she has no idea how to handle why you are there??? I think you have the experience and know how to help tubby at home, and there are plenty of people here that have dealt with this so you will have help. I would go in if it didn't resolve in a decent amount of time. I'm sure someone here can tell you the time frame in which this should resolve. Holy crap this pisses me off.

Luckily for her I was at work, I felt like yelling his A$$HOLE lol

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.